LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-12, 10:18 PM
Lolife92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help

Passenger window will go down from driver side switch but not go up from driver side switch. Also there is vibrations when riding at high speeds mainly in the shifter. The car makes rumbling noises when I step on the gas really fast to accelerate what could be the problem? The rumbling noise sounds like its coming from the trans or the differential.
Old 10-05-12, 12:12 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Also there is vibrations when riding at high speeds mainly in the shifter. The car makes rumbling noises when I step on the gas really fast to accelerate what could be the problem? The rumbling noise sounds like its coming from the trans or the differential.
you very likely need a new transmission mount (the rear motor mount)

easy job, and the part is only $35 or so, make sure to get the real Lexus/Toyota part from either the dealership or an online dealership such as Park Place Lexus or Sewell etc. - NOT aftermarket/Autozone etc.

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 10-05-12 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-05-12, 09:21 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lolife92
Passenger window will go down from driver side switch but not go up from driver side switch.
I have the exact same issue.
The switch is broken. Mine worked then one day I heard a snap when I pushed the button down and I could never raise it from the drivers side again.
You would need to replace the whole master control panel to fix the issue.

I just roll the driver and back right window down if I want air movement through the cabin.
Old 10-05-12, 07:48 PM
Lolife92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ll give these stuff a try and see if it work
Old 10-05-12, 08:06 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if the window goes down but wont go back up with one switch but does with the other, its the switch itself of the wiring from it. it is pretty simple to check, get a test light and pin out the back of the master panel on the driver side. you should have a hot wire into the switch and 2 or 3 out(the third would be for an auto-down function). window switches are usually just simple rocker switches so if you have power in and out on both sides, the switch is functioning. if there is no power out on one side or both, chances are the switch is an issue. don't condemn a switch until you have checked that the connector isn't the or part of the problem.

if there is power out on both sides of the switch, check the wiring through the door. it is very common for older cars to kink and break wires in the doors and trunk which can cause all sorts of issues.

as far as the tranny issue goes, it is likely the tranny mount (and even the motor mounts) but also check the hardy discs for cracks. hardy discs are the rubber joints that connect the tranny to the drive shaft and drive shaft to diff. just put a pry bar in there and flex them forward and aft looking for cracks around the bushings the bolts go through. if they are even slightly cracked(1cm long cracks) replace both front and rear discs. collateral damage from hardy discs going is a growly centre support bearing which could also give you a rumbling from that area.
to check the centre support bearing, disconnect the driveshaft at either end and spin it, push it back and forth, side to side. if it doesn't feel tight and spin silently, pull off the heat shielding and give it a closer look.