LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I have a confession to make....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 11:46 AM
timmy0tool

Received 421 Likes on 375 Posts

haha touche. i've hardly surpassed 400 miles on a tank, and that's running on fumes already on 91 oct. lots of factors to consider but wow that's great gas mileage you have, both SpencerT and Boob!

i've heard of diesels in europe that can do 1000 miles on a single tank?!
Old 10-08-12, 11:52 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

diesel ls400s?
Old 10-08-12, 12:40 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

Men have a tendency to lie about their gas mileage and their sex life..... hmmm , just not in that order.

smiles.. just fooling.. at 78, it was just a rumor I picked up..
Old 10-08-12, 06:17 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
welcome boob! these cars are great, which is why there is still a strong following despite their age.

i have an unproven theory that gas (or petrol) outside of the US burns better. i say this b/c cars in europe get almost TWICE the amount of miles than us stateside. they can get about 600 miles on a full tank. how is that possible?! all that makes sense to me is that their gas prices are almost double so that compensates for it all! same bang for the buck.

i've based all my info from watching episodes of top gear UK haha!
It isn't.

An Imperial (British) Gallon is ~4.55L, an American Gallon is ~3.79L.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon
Old 10-09-12, 02:27 PM
Boob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha touche. i've hardly surpassed 400 miles on a tank, and that's running on fumes already on 91 oct. lots of factors to consider but wow that's great gas mileage you have, both SpencerT and Boob!

i've heard of diesels in europe that can do 1000 miles on a single tank?!
Yea there was an eco run here in New Zealand a few years back & a Peugeot 1.9 turbo diesel ran the length of the country & was getting those kinds of distances (1600km's to a tank). Again what has to be remembered with these is it's a very specific task so can't really compare it to day to day driving unless you are like James May on Top Gear lol.

welcome boob! these cars are great, which is why there is still a strong following despite their age.

i have an unproven theory that gas (or petrol) outside of the US burns better. i say this b/c cars in europe get almost TWICE the amount of miles than us stateside. they can get about 600 miles on a full tank. how is that possible?! all that makes sense to me is that their gas prices are almost double so that compensates for it all! same bang for the buck.

i've based all my info from watching episodes of top gear UK haha!
Very possible. Mine runs on 91 octane & I typically get it from BP as it's consistently closer to 91 octane then the other brands. This is in part due to how it's made (it's the only one here in NZ that is mixed on our shores) & has been tested many times of the years to be the best.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 10-09-12 at 09:28 PM. Reason: no.
Old 10-09-12, 03:10 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by E36M3
I don't know about captain obvious. You mentioned it twice and I'm still not feeling it. Can't you think of something better?
The weird beamer guy on the lexus forums?
Old 10-09-12, 03:29 PM
E36M3
Driver

Originally Posted by SpencerT
The weird beamer guy on the lexus forums?
Take it easy kid that's not necessary
Old 10-09-12, 03:38 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

haha just a joke.
No disrespect intended.
Old 10-09-12, 05:35 PM
j2b4o
Pole Position

I recently moved from NY to Virginia beach and it was roughly 415miles. We filled up before we left and ran a few last minute errands and than my girl took a wron turn and got sent 20 min out of the way. Even with all that extra driving (~30miles) we still got into town with almost half a tank. The last hour of the trip we were on a road with mega red lights and we were stopping every 10 min. The car was loaded to the gills with clothes and other crap so it wasnt light. It is sitting on slightly larger than stock diameter wheel's because they are from a 96~ and I have a 90', that probably had something to do with the mileage but still way beyond anything I ever expected and crazy better than city driving mileage.
Old 10-09-12, 06:43 PM
Boob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by j2b4o
I recently moved from NY to Virginia beach and it was roughly 415miles. We filled up before we left and ran a few last minute errands and than my girl took a wron turn and got sent 20 min out of the way. Even with all that extra driving (~30miles) we still got into town with almost half a tank. The last hour of the trip we were on a road with mega red lights and we were stopping every 10 min. The car was loaded to the gills with clothes and other crap so it wasnt light. It is sitting on slightly larger than stock diameter wheel's because they are from a 96~ and I have a 90', that probably had something to do with the mileage but still way beyond anything I ever expected and crazy better than city driving mileage.
So roughly 435miles & only used half a tank??? That is amazing! Do you know the full history of your car? It may have had an ecu upgrade? Wondering if mine has too.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 10-10-12 at 07:53 PM. Reason: edited
Old 10-09-12, 06:49 PM
Boob
Driver School Candidate

Just got off the phone with NZ Performance Tuning & the chap there says no body in the WORLD can retune a factory ECU for these, they do however sell an aftermarket one (Link) and that can be tickled.......at a total cost of about $3000NZD lol. So i'm going to go out on a limb here & say mine hasn't had anything done to it!
Old 10-09-12, 10:50 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

So i'm going to go out on a limb here & say mine hasn't had anything done to it!
well if it hasn't had the ECU capacitors replaced, then you aren't likely getting the full performance out of it - mine feels like it has a turbo now! - ever since I replaced my caps, as this is a known defect in all LS400's

so if you want new punch, and you are a talented and meticulous solderer, it can be yours for less than $20 in parts!
Old 10-10-12, 01:36 AM
Boob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
well if it hasn't had the ECU capacitors replaced, then you aren't likely getting the full performance out of it - mine feels like it has a turbo now! - ever since I replaced my caps, as this is a known defect in all LS400's

so if you want new punch, and you are a talented and meticulous solderer, it can be yours for less than $20 in parts!
Funny you should say that as this arvo I took it to see the Dr as it out of nowhere developed an issue & it seems like it is indeed the CPU. It's been removed and is as we speak on the back of a truck in route to the magic man who is going to replace all the capacitors etc. $340 seems like a good price since I called Lexus NZ & they said there were no new 93 CPU's in the country but he could get one in for............wait for it..............$8000 lol
Old 10-10-12, 06:52 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS

I love it cowboy.... Almost every post you make is talking about the caps. I think your are going to convince me to have this done.
Old 10-10-12, 07:03 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by j2b4o
I'm sorry j2b4o but there is absolutely no way you were averaging 40 mpg in an ls400. Especially, a 1990. Maybe your fuel gauge is not functioning properly but it just is not possible to get this kind of mpg in an ls400. The absolute best you can get in vvti (98-2000) ls400's, which get better mpg, is around 28 - 30 under absolutely perfect conditions and this is not sustainable.

Quick Reply: I have a confession to make....