LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Possible Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 07:29 PM
metalhead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Electrical Issue

So I did what I should've done from the get-go; check the codes. I got the Engine OBDI code 13 - RPM signal no.2. I've searched the threads, but I have not been able to find a "solved" post for that code. From what I've read so far, it's probably the cam sensor. If anyone knows of a thread in which a solution has been found, please let me know so I can have this thread removed. No sense in having multiple threads about the same subject.

Last edited by metalhead; 11-19-12 at 03:04 PM. Reason: engine codes checked
Old 11-19-12, 03:21 PM
metalhead
Driver School Candidate

I edited my original thread, which leads me to my next question. Has anyone tried the TIS information website for repair manuals and such, that is recommended by lexls, or anything similar, and is it worth it?
Old 11-20-12, 11:17 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

yes, that website is great if you don't have your own copy of the Lexus factory service manual that looks like the one below:

Possible Electrical Issue-m4cdf.png
Old 11-20-12, 11:24 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

this code can indicate issues with jumped timing belt, speed sensor, speed sensor to ECU wiring, bad ECU, camshaft position sensor, or cam sensor to ECU wiring or G1, G2 or NE signal plate (teeth missing)
Old 11-20-12, 12:47 PM
kyddo112
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup, as LS said, i'd check your timing first. i went through the same issue; changed out my crank sensor 3 times and double checked the wiring. finally looked at the timing and my pass side cam was off by a tooth.
Old 11-20-12, 12:52 PM
metalhead
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much for that information. Since my edit, (after quite a prolonged thread search) I have found some resources on how to go about checking and troubleshooting some of the possible malfunctions you listed. Of all I've found, the ebscohost site has been pretty descriptive so far. I will use that source as much as I can. Either way, I'm still tempted to try TIS. I'm sure I will find everything I will ever need to know in regards to repair there. Once I have fixed the problem, I will post my results here. Thanks again LscowboyLS
Old 11-20-12, 01:01 PM
metalhead
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the heads up kyddo. I will check that first. ....troubleshooting, troubleshooting, troubleshooting.... Although it can be time taking, it can get very interesting and amusing as well. And when the solution is found and your car is running like a champ again, it makes you bond with your ride and you appreciate it more.
Old 11-20-12, 01:18 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

this is very a very difficult issue to solve without the real factory service manual that looks like the one pictured above, tell me your year, and I will find you a smokin deal on one on ebay (rather than the $250 they usually cost)
Old 11-20-12, 03:48 PM
metalhead
Driver School Candidate

Does it cover everything inside and out; including how to fix for example a malfunctioning/broken seat, radio antenna, windshield washer pump/mechanism, moon roof, etc.? I just want to make sure that the OEM repair manual would be worth the purchase. I understand that when it comes to any Lexus, the repairs and parts can be costly, but I love the car. It's a comfortable and smooth ride with plenty of power, not to mention its very prestigious styling. There are minor to somewhat technical (such as my current problem which pretty much has me car-less at the time) things I still need to fix. Other than that, the car functions and runs smoothly. I would like to eventually redo the interior, and do some TLC to it, hence my desire to keep it permanently. I have come to realize that even thought repair costs can be somewhat high at times, fixing and maintaining the car you already have is the most affordable way to go. And I would hate to have to let go of my Lexus if it isn’t absolutely necessary. Btw it's a 1992 Lexus LS400.
Old 11-20-12, 04:12 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Does it cover everything inside and out; including how to fix for example a malfunctioning/broken seat, radio antenna, windshield washer pump/mechanism, moon roof, etc.?
yes

they are $80 each and you need both - order below, or else you can wait and keep checking ebay and be patient

here is where to order -

Volume 1
Volume 2
Old 11-21-12, 11:53 AM
kyddo112
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure how the obd1's are but with my scanner was throwing a p0336 which points to the crankshaft position sensor. upon searching/readying and looking through the TIS, it clearly states p0336 is almost 90% mechanical. i found all this out after i replaced the sensor and checked for broken/chaffed wires.
Old 11-26-12, 01:40 AM
metalhead
Driver School Candidate

Well, whatever I find on ebay in regards to repair books for my year and model, is most likely gonna be used. That being said, I wouldn't look elsewhere. Thanks for the links. When the time comes, I'm getting the helms. ....and kyddo, in regards to the problem being mechanical, I will know tomorrow morning. I'm taking it to the shop. My main concern is letting it sit. Thanks a bunch for the information so far guys. It has been a big help. Once I'm back on the road, hopefully it's hasta la vista to the nonsense for a good while. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 11-26-12, 01:56 AM
metalhead
Driver School Candidate

and when I said I wouldn't look elsewhere, I was referring to the helm website, not ebay lol
Old 01-16-13, 10:28 PM
metalhead
Driver School Candidate

A quick update. First of all, thank you kyddo and LScowboy for all the information. It was very thorough and helpful. As much as I would like to continue working on the lexus, I'm gonna have to sell it. Good thing I didn't spend money on that Helm!
Old 01-17-13, 12:31 AM
simondsw
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great thread and I am glad that I saw the information on the repair manual form LScowwboy. I will more then likely need to get me a manual as well.

Quick Reply: Possible Electrical Issue