LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Exhaust Query

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-12, 04:59 PM
Boob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your car is older than 1999 you can remove the cats.

I just got back from the exhaust shop. Had her on the hoist & it has 2 o2 sensors near each cat & he reckons at worst it may trigger the ECU into limp mode. At best will just trigger a code & engine light. But also said it would be quite loud......mmmmmm. From what he said & others it seem's like a waste of time, grrrr. The exhaust has a reasonable back note but would like it a bit louder just not OTT.
Old 10-22-12, 05:00 PM
Boob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hotdawwg
Might have a check engine light come on... You could add foulers to space the o2 senors so they dont trigger the Check Engine Light!
Can you elaborate on the foulers?
Old 10-22-12, 05:07 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want louder exhuast, remove the back mufflers.
Old 10-22-12, 08:10 PM
Boob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SpencerT
Well the current set up is twin cats.....2.25 twin into one.....single muffler........twin 2.25 to the tip with quad tips. Sounds nice & throaty just would be nice to sound a lil more badass, just not OTT.

I asked the muffler man if switching out the current muffler to a Coby resonator or similar would make much difference & he didn't seem to think so.
Old 10-22-12, 08:16 PM
Boob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SpencerT
Well the current set up is twin cats.....2.25 twin into one.....single muffler........twin 2.25 to the tip with quad tips. Sounds nice & throaty just would be nice to sound a lil more badass, just not OTT.

I asked the muffler man if switching out the current muffler to a Coby resonator or similar would make much difference & he didn't seem to think so.
Old 10-23-12, 12:42 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

switch the center muffler out for an xpipe. better scavenging and sound.
Old 10-23-12, 01:09 PM
Boob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
switch the center muffler out for an xpipe. better scavenging and sound.
So no muffler at all? It is already a single pipe by the time it reaches the only muffler. Wouldn't that be too loud?

Last edited by Boob; 10-23-12 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-23-12, 02:02 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

so you have the two cats going into a single center muffler that's dual input and one output, into your muffler?

if so obviously an x-pipe wouldnt work. a y-pipe would, and you could follow it with a small glasspack resonator.

you should visit the exhaust design thread that's available in the stickies
Old 10-23-12, 02:51 PM
Boob
Driver School Candidate

so you have the two cats going into a single center muffler that's dual input and one output, into your muffler?

if so obviously an x-pipe wouldnt work. a y-pipe would, and you could follow it with a small glasspack resonator.

you should visit the exhaust design thread that's available in the stickies
Yep, extrators, two cats, then into one......single muffler.....then dual out to tips.

What is a glasspack resonator? I asked him if a dif resonator (like Coby etc) would be a worthwhile replacement for the single muffler to which he replied, no.
Old 10-24-12, 06:03 PM
Boob
Driver School Candidate

Had a look in various exhaust threads here, not a huge amount of info tbh.

Anyway, I cut the only exhaust out & straight piped it. So now it has 2 cats & straight to tip (dual each side) going into single in the middle. Sounds ****ing SAVAGE!! lol & how your uncles 1970 Camro used to .

Will have some fun with this for a bit then most likely go 2.5" from cats to single with dual Magnaflows at the rear, keeping the same dual tips but just extend them a few inches to be flush with the bumper. Unless some can convince me that 2.25" is better than 2.5". I'm looking for the car to have a deep throaty rumble.
Old 10-24-12, 06:11 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

2.25" is better as described in the exhaust thread. you do want some back pressure. PD can expound on why .
Old 10-24-12, 06:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

you DON'T want ANY backpressure.

but if the pipe is too big you lose a lot of fluid velocity and scavenging. hence 2.25 is a better choice for the stock/mild 1UZ builds. if you're going FI or nitrous then yeah, 2.5 may be worth it.
Old 10-24-12, 07:56 PM
Boob
Driver School Candidate

you DON'T want ANY backpressure.

but if the pipe is too big you lose a lot of fluid velocity and scavenging. hence 2.25 is a better choice for the stock/mild 1UZ builds. if you're going FI or nitrous then yeah, 2.5 may be worth it.
Mmmm interesting. I have just got back from chatting to a friend who was one of New Zealands top drifters. He has many years experience with cars & swears by 2.5" over 2.25" for a V8, says it produces a deeper note (which is what I am after). Also putting a balance pipe in ( near the cats). Reckons it takes away the cackle & sounds cleaner/more refined.

What do you think about that DP?
Old 10-24-12, 09:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Boob
Mmmm interesting. I have just got back from chatting to a friend who was one of New Zealands top drifters. He has many years experience with cars & swears by 2.5" over 2.25" for a V8, says it produces a deeper note (which is what I am after). Also putting a balance pipe in ( near the cats). Reckons it takes away the cackle & sounds cleaner/more refined.

What do you think about that DP?
x-pipe flows a lot better than an h-pipe does and refines the sound, 2.5 is great if you have a tuned big displacement V8, but otherwise 2.25 is it for anything under 5L. 4.6 mustang guys generally run 2.25 or 2.5 if modded, and they have a solid .6L over the 1uz.

even 5.7L LSx chevy guys don't usually run more than 2.5in duals, unless cammed/tuned.
Old 10-24-12, 09:30 PM
Boob
Driver School Candidate

x-pipe flows a lot better than an h-pipe does and refines the sound, 2.5 is great if you have a tuned big displacement V8, but otherwise 2.25 is it for anything under 5L. 4.6 mustang guys generally run 2.25 or 2.5 if modded, and they have a solid .6L over the 1uz.

even 5.7L LSx chevy guys don't usually run more than 2.5in duals, unless cammed/tuned.
Interesting.

What do you think about the cross pipe idea?

His brother (a close friend of mine) has a 58 Chev with an injected 350 that is stock & runs a cross pipe with 2.5" duals. Sounds chunky as ****! Love it!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Query