LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission Woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-12, 12:57 PM
hotdawwg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Woes

Hello, I really didn't want to create another transmission thread, but this problem is starting to stump me. Here is the situation; I attempted to drive to Las Vegas last week from Orange County. half way through the drive the transmission just goes crazy. I can only describe it as if the transmission just decided to dis-engage. Equivalent to driving a manual transmission and it popping out of gear. So I pulled over, shut the car off and it worked again. It did this 3 times and on the third time, it felt that the torque converter was just slipping like crazy.

So I towed the car to Mavrik Motorsports in Fullerton and when I got back from SEMA i went to work. I drained the trans fluid and cracked her open. Come to find the fluid was the wrong fluid, it smelt burnt, and the trans filter was clogged. Mind you I knew that the CEL was reading a Lock-up solenoid code but when I bought the car the Service history said it was replaced back in April. so I decided to replace the filter and try to pump as much of the wrong fluid out of the transmission. So I figured to wait to see if the Solenoid just was reacting horrible to the wrong fluid and i buttoned her back up. Well now it has the right fluid in it and shifts very weird.

The cars intermediately shifts normally and then sometimes shifts very hard and I have no idea why? The CEL came back on after a week with it off and the Power Light keeps flashing. Coming to a stop it feels like it is still locked in to 4th gear and almost stalls. Is there a possibility that there was some damage done on my drive to Vegas? Please help and add your input. My car is a 1995
Old 11-08-12, 05:15 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wrong tranny fluid in these cars CAN cause great damage to them. You MAY still have some of the old fluid still in the system causing problems. If not, and you are sure you got all of the old stuff out, the drive may have done it's damage with the wrong fluid. First thing first,,get that code read and see what is going on. You may just have a bad shift seloinoid that needs to be replaced. secondly, ensure that all of the old stuff was drained, and re-filled with the correct fluid. Be careful, as Toyota has 2 different types of tranny fluid. the one you need it Type IV.
Old 11-08-12, 09:30 PM
hotdawwg
Pole Position

I have a case of the Type IV.... I will pull the code tomorrow
Old 11-10-12, 12:47 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

I know you are getting tired of hearing it, but transmission requiring manual shifting, and power light going on and off was exactly two main symptoms of my leaking ECU capacitors
Old 11-11-12, 08:31 AM
Pooterls
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In for results having same issues
Old 11-11-12, 11:01 AM
hotdawwg
Pole Position

I have noticed that my transmission is sensitive to the recent cold spell we are having in SoCal. It 45 degrees last night and the transmission just hummed loudly and the coolant temp dropped a full bar down. Not until I was able to get off the freeway did the car go up to operating temp. But then again I may just replace the coolant temp sensor to combat this. But man my transmission is starting to scare me. We will see
Old 11-12-12, 07:21 AM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Damn! Sorry to hear mark!
Hope you get it sorted! Goodluck!