LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

So I was detailing the car today.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-12, 01:34 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

I have found my favorite battery charger ever and it's cheap!!
my recommended charger has a setting for GEL batteries - yay!
Old 12-14-12, 01:36 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

They also do not take well to getting run down flat or for extended acc use with the car off
why I recommend people who have a habit of this use deep cycle marine batteries - then the battery thinks you are "trolling" in your boat and is very forgiving!
Old 12-14-12, 03:42 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great group of members here. Thank you everyone for the great advice. Shmee I will definitely take my battery off and get it properly tested. The last thing I want to do is put in a new alternator! Your info has been very valuable. And I may just skip on the charger and just make sure I start my car often and avoid draining the battery when it's off.

I really do appreciate all of the input and advice I've received from club lexus so far. Including the threads I've started and all the invaluable info I've received from searching.

Originally Posted by Shmee
if you have not properly charged the battery, do so. the alternator is not capable of charging a battery, only maintaining the charge of the battery. it will put a surface charge on the battery strong enough to start the car in most cases but you are forcing the alternator to work excessively hard to keep the battery up and keep the car running.
Also, testing a battery/charging/starting system with a battery that is not properly charged will give false results on the test(s). Continual use of a low battery can eventually lead to premature alternator failure.

Put the battery on a proper charger for a night, and get it retested.
also, being only 3 years old means nothing. If any lead-acid battery sits for longer than a few months it starts to sulphate, permanently reducing it's capacity. additionally, running a battery dead numerous times also reduces the life of the battery drastically. The quality warranty on the battery typically denotes the quality and age range to be expected. A 24/36month battery usually wont last much longer than it's warranty denotes in ideal conditions, same with a 72/84/96 month battery...

same thing goes with trickle chargers. they only maintain the state of the battery as it is when it is connected. I see it alot with motorcycles where a bike comes out of winter storage, had a trickle charger on it and the owner gets maybe a couple of rides out of it before it wont start. The battery wont take a charge yet is only a year old. Owner always will say that had a trickle charger on it, when asked if they properly charged the battery before they put the trickle charger on it, the answer is always no. From that point on, owner puts the battery on a proper charger then on a trickle charger or buys a trickle charge with a built in charger and never has a problem again.

so get your battery properly charged.