LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hello from Florida!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 03:56 PM
Austinn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, a update on my journey, I might buy a 99 LS Friday. C:

It has 92,000 miles, it's black, crack-free tan interior, and the nakamichi sound system.

The paint is really nice on it, it's a two owner car, and it's been in a minor/moderate rear end collision according to Carfax, and turning on the car I can tell they've yet to change the timing belt. (Not loud but definitely hear some sort of belt)

It's at a mom and pop dealer and they're asking 8900, basically going to offer 7 out the door due to the timing belt and accident. Wish me luck guys c:

Also, anybody know of somewhere to get an OEM car cover and an OEM bra, want to keep the paint as nice as it is now.
Old 01-24-13, 07:23 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Not sure you can tell the TB is going out just by noise... there are a lot of other components outside the cover that could made noise...I'd have to put a stethoscope on the cover to see if that is where the noise is coming from... Price seems a bit high without the TB already done.. but comparing to TX prices... YMMV, of course.
Seven is not bad if they will honor it... but expect to find more things that need attention when it does not come from the Lexus dealer... I'd still put the VIN number in Lexus.com to see what you can learn... more information is always better.
Old 01-24-13, 09:36 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

it's been in a minor/moderate rear end collision according to Carfax
that is too high for a previously wrecked car that is due a timing belt and not located in California crazy price land. - for 9K I want a clean carfax and immaculate condition

a wrecked car is never going to have the legendary Lexus reliability, and you don't want to sacrifice that
Old 01-24-13, 10:06 AM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

^ agreed! if you can live with a repaired car, then go for it, but you may uncover more problems down the road with a collision. sometimes it's just a bumper recondition. i'm hoping that it is for that price point.
Old 01-24-13, 12:08 PM
Austinn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the concern guys, I suppose you're right about the accident. I've been assuming it was minor due to the fact it happened in 2003, the owner kept it for 9 years after it, and according to both Carfax and Mylexus neither showed that the car has had any problems since then. The trunk lines up perfectly and the alignment drives perfectly straight, neither rear tires show abnormal wear. Any other way to tell if the accident was a bit more serious?

My car was rear ended and all it affected was the price I'm selling it for so I have a different view on this then you guys I suppose lol

Also, the timing belt, I'm not 100% positive that is what the noise is, but when I started the car it made a light screeching noise (maybe screeching isn't the word to describe it but basically a quieter version of those car that screech to no end when turned on, usually due to the timing belt to my knowledge) neither Mylexus or carfax shows where they did any maintenance involving the timing belt, or any 60k maintenance really, simply a oil/filter and wipers replaced at 87k and washer fluid sensor replaced at 74k.. Usually something like the timing belt would be noted somewhere I would think.

I'm not willing to pay a dime more then $7500 out the door for this, initially asking $7000. There aren't any other options right now really, rather then a gold one with similar mileage for $12k, and you thought this price was ridiculous lol
Old 01-24-13, 12:16 PM
Austinn
Driver School Candidate

A new one actually just popped up, 64k for $10.8, going to check it out this weekend.
Old 01-24-13, 01:32 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

After years as a dealership mechanic, I personally wouldn't own a car that has been in a collision beyond a tiny dent, any serious hit has this strange way of ruining the reliability of systems even that are on the opposite end of the car, that should have nothing to do with it!

for example, a car hit in rear, now has all kinds of A/C problems or cooling system problem, etc. - electrical problems are most common of all in a previously hit car

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 01-24-13 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-24-13, 04:18 PM
Austinn
Driver School Candidate

Well thank you, seems as if you have much more expertise then I do, sorry if I sound a bit hard-headed at times everyone lol

Well, tomorrow I'm off to Lexus of Palm Beach to check out the one with 65k, they're asking 10,900, carfax isn't available but I'll be sure to get it tomorrow. hopefully it's nice and minty! I already checked the MyLexus and it hasn't been maintained by Lexus after 20k lol hopefully carfax reveals some good news.
Old 01-24-13, 06:07 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

cars with hits are not always bad buys. depends entirely on the hit and WHEN it was hit. hits in the first few years of the car hitting the roads are almost always properly assessed and fixed properly.
it's those mid life and current era hits you have to be weary of, they are often fixed for as little money as possible and at less than reputable/approved shops.

like anything, you get what you pay for.

Oh and if you are going to buy something, for the love of god, have it inspected! if you are getting it from any sort of dealer, have it inspected somewhere else. if you are buying it privately, take it to YOUR mechanic or the dealer, not the seller's mechanic. if the seller wont let you take it for an inspection, walk! thats a big tip off something is wrong with it.
Old 01-24-13, 06:40 PM
Austinn
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for that advice, neither of these places are very close to me, so how would you suggest me having it inspected? The one at the mom and pop dealership gladly said I can have it inspected when I told him I'd need to change the timing belt. Just honestly not sure how I can go about the process? I'm 19 and my parents bought my previous car.
Old 01-24-13, 08:13 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ask in the regional forums about who people recommend in those areas....
Then call up the shops, if the dealers are keen on selling, you can even ask them to deliver the car to your specified inspection facility. You just need to arrange with the shop when and payment to them for the inspection...
The $100-200 spent on the inspection can save you THOUSANDS of dollars and gives you a better bargaining tool when they come back with a list of required maintenance you can use to barter the price of the car down to compensate for the required maintenance or get the dealer to cover the work for the price they are asking!
Old 01-25-13, 07:35 AM
Austinn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, a potential buyer for my car actually lives in the same general area as this dealership, and he's inspecting my car at a shop, if he does a good job and it's close enough I'll ask them to do it. LOL
Old 01-28-13, 08:55 PM
Austinn
Driver School Candidate

On to the next one guys, neither of the cars fell through, however the potential buyer liked my car, hopefully he gets it.

So thinking about it, I shouldn't be so worried about mileage but mainly maintenance.. Don't shun me for just realizing this now v.v

Pretty much there's a Lexus 4 hours away from me right now, my uncle is going to check it out before i make the drive.

It's a 98, 77k on the clock, and perfect maintenance on MyLexus, and accident free according to Carfax! However it's had 4 owners within it''s life, once again don't mind because all of them maintained it, but this brings this question.

What are / if there are common rust spots for these cars? The car was born in Colorado, then moved to Virginia until 2006 when it became Floridian, so I feel that should be my main lookout at this point.
Old 01-28-13, 10:32 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
After years as a dealership mechanic, I personally wouldn't own a car that has been in a collision beyond a tiny dent, any serious hit has this strange way of ruining the reliability of systems even that are on the opposite end of the car, that should have nothing to do with it!

for example, a car hit in rear, now has all kinds of A/C problems or cooling system problem, etc. - electrical problems are most common of all in a previously hit car
Don't agree at all. A minor accident will not do this. I have even bought a 4 runner with a salvage title because it was rolled over and has had no electrical problems whatsoever.

It all depends on the magnitude, location etc. but I do agree not knowing where and how much could cause some future problems. That is the real risk.
Old 01-29-13, 01:27 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

I wouldn't be concerned with rust issues on an LS400 unless you live in the salt belt. In the bazillions i looked at over the years before i caved and bought mine, i dont recall seeing a single rusty one up here in Colorado..... I did see lots of garbage ones, but didnt ever see any quarter panel rust or anything.

Quick Reply: Hello from Florida!