LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to sort out damage from reverse terminals jump start

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-13, 11:17 PM
Wheelman1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to sort out damage from reverse terminals jump start

Hi,

Recently a tow truck company was called out to tow my 1994 Lexus LS400. Well with a long story short, they wanted to jump start the car to check that it wouldn't run. The technician connected the terminals correctly on the truck, but neglected and connected the negative to the positive and so forth on my battery negative to positive and so forth on my batteries side of the circuit. Have replaced so far a 125amp alt fuse, 7.5amp and 10amp dome fuse. All the other fuses seem to be ok. All that mostly seems not to work are the power windows, instrument cluster/dashboard gauges/ lights and radio (clock and door chime work). One interesting note is that the headlights/highbeam work but the automatic light switch doesn't. Just wondering where else would be good to look for damage?

----
LW
Old 01-08-13, 12:14 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

I think you have the makings of a lawsuit in the neighborhood of $2000 from what I know of the law - it is amazing anything still works!

obviously you will need to check every fuse (inside and outside of the car) as well as every relay, circuit breaker, and fuselink

once all of those are accounted for and replaced, *most* things will work - if you do this yourself, you need to be documenting your time for the lawsuit - the going rate for Lexus electrical troubleshooting is around $175/hour, unless you live in an expensive area like NYC, SF, D.C., Alaska, the town of Williston, ND, or Hawaii, where it can be double that.

you will need to pick up a copy of the 1994 Lexus LS400 electrical wiring diagram on ebay

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 01-08-13 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-08-13, 01:57 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

check the fusible links, circuit breaker, and check ALL the fuses both under the hood and under the driver side dash.

you're nowhere near 2k of damage, and the car is set up to protect itself rather than catch fire when something like this happens. The most the company would be liable for is a shop-estimate on repair work and parts, if that.

Calm yourself, it's a simple mistake that happens to some cars, you shouldn't be facing a big repair bill as long as everything worked the way it should.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 01-13-13 at 03:57 PM. Reason: I a word.
Old 01-13-13, 11:21 AM
Wheelman1
Driver School Candidate

Default Unresolved electrical problem

Thanks for the responses so far, 118 views and 2 replies

Anyways I've checked all fuses and just the 3 I mentioned before needed replacing. Also replaced the number 7 (10amp - GAUGE), number 14 (7.5amp - PANEL) and number 16 (7.5amp - ST) fuses and checked with a meter to verify low resistance. Also have reset the 3 circuit breakers, number 30 - P/W 30amp, number 31 - DOOR 30amp and number 32 - DEFOG 40 amp. All the fuses with bolts and relays seem ok, will check again later. With all this checked over, the instrument cluster lights (speedo, tach, gauges), radio, power windows don't function. Car runs and idles fine, so should I test the computer (ecu) or assume its ok?

Thank you for all knowledgeable answers.

----
LW
Old 01-13-13, 03:19 PM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps the reason you have only received 2 responses is that PD basically covered what I and other members would have suggested and certainly complaining about it will not help your cause.

So "All the fuses with bolts look OK" but have you actually checked them with a multimeter to confirm this.

It may be a coincidence but according to the workshop manual 2 of the fuses, particularly the 120A one supply power to those items that are not working.
Fuses 2 and 3 are the center ones in the line of 4 in the engine bay fuse box.

2 - 40 Amp Turn Signal Light, Door Lock Control System, Power Window System, Power Seat System, Audio System, Antenna Motor, Wiper & Washer, Power Shoulder Belt Anchor System, A/C & Heater System, Power Tilt & Telescoping Steering Wheel, Cigarette Lighter, Combination Meter, ABS System, Air Suspension System
␣ 3 - 120 Amp Fog, Tail & Stoplights, Turn Signal Lights, Defogger & Seat Heater, A/C & Heater System, Power Shoulder Belt Anchorage, Door Lock Control, Power Windows & Power Seats, Antenna Motor, Cigarette Lighter, Combination Meter, Wiper & Washer
Old 01-16-13, 09:32 PM
Wheelman1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice, yes the fusible links (fuses with bolts) have been metered out with my fluke 345 power meter. Furthermore, I am not sure which information is correct then. My owner's manual states different locations for the fuses mentioned as "Fuses 2 and 3 are the center ones in the line of 4 in the engine bay fuse box".

The middle fuse closest to the passenger side is number 21 TEL-15amp (telephone) whereas the middle fuse closest to the driver side is number 22 EFI-20amp (multiport fuel injection system).

Turning into quite a mystery

----
LW