LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Replacing suspension parts when lowering a 98 LS400?Stretch tire install Bay Area CA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-13, 04:39 AM
twang104
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing suspension parts when lowering a 98 LS400?Stretch tire install Bay Area CA?

Hi this is my first post on CL. I'm from the 408, Bay Area. I have a stock 98 LS w/150K miles. Any recommendations on which suspension components to replace when lowering your vehicle? I will be replacing the power steering rack & pinion so I thought I should replace the UCAs, LCAs, ball joint, etc. So far I have purchased a set of K-Sport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, Megan rear lower camber arms, Megan rear toe control arms, Megan rear traction rods, and Arnott front upper control arms. Since I already purchased the front UCAs, I might as well replace the front lower ball joints, front lower control arms, front outer tie rods and possibly the front strut rods. I inspected all the front suspension components and all the bushings/joints looked ok. But when I'm braking, there's a slight vibration from the steering wheel (brake rotors were recently resurfaced). The car also veers to the right (after I had an alignment) so I'm suspecting the front right shock is going out. I previously owned a 94 LS w/200K miles and it was on Megan coilovers, for 30k miles, and I never had problems with the suspension (just a few squeaks here and there). OEM parts are quite expensive and that's why I'm hesitating on going forward with replacing the front suspension. When I purchased the Arnott UCAs (ebay $190/pair shipped), I assumed that they were made in the USA. I was wrong, they were made in China. But they come with a lifetime warranty. Anyway, any advice or suggestions will help!

I'm also looking for a shop in the Bay Area (preferably closest to San Jose) that can mount & balance stretched tires. Any of you guys have experience with Tire Outlet off of Alum Rock or Sonic MS in Mtn. View? I have a set of Kranze Rapier 19x10 +20 and 19x11 +20. I want 225/35 in the front and 245/35 in the back. I have my mind set on the Falken 452's. Which other tires are good for stretching?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Last edited by twang104; 01-25-13 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Used HTML
Old 01-25-13, 05:31 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Search for the Arnott arms there is a huge number of ppl here that got burnt by those arms failing extremely fast. They have the wrong ball joint iirc.
Old 01-25-13, 06:12 AM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Falken 452's has a habit of having side wall bubbles.
Get toyo, hankook, federals, achellis, nankang, etc.. Instead
Old 01-25-13, 06:32 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twang104
Arnott front upper control arms. When I purchased the Arnott UCAs (ebay $190/pair shipped), I assumed that they were made in the USA. I was wrong, they were made in China. But they come with a lifetime warranty. Anyway, any advice or suggestions will help!
Return them while you still can.

Originally Posted by j2b4o
Search for the Arnott arms there is a huge number of ppl here that got burnt by those arms failing extremely fast. They have the wrong ball joint iirc.
This
Old 01-25-13, 11:10 AM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

Hey I'm also from 408. I have been looking for an LS a while now. Maybe we can get together once I get mine? If you don't mind me asking how much did you get your LS for?

A very good shop is Auto Innovations, they are very careful and know what they're doing.
Old 01-25-13, 11:26 AM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

definitely invest in OEM lower ball joints. check your strut rod bushes as well as they tend to go out iirc.

a reason why your car is still wandering after an alignment may be because your tires are still getting used to the new settings. if you drove on a bad alignment for a long time, this occurrence becomes more apparent. or it's your strut rod bushes...
Old 01-25-13, 02:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

FK452s aren't good for anything more than a minor stretch, they bubble.

I've been bouncing around the bay area for the past couple weeks, and Joseph and Carlos at Tire Outlet in Alum Rock had no problem dealing with my stretched rears. Service was excellent and I highly recommend them. The NorCal guys have a great thread for shops Here.

Hope you've got a good body guy, you'll need him for the front, the rears will fit with minor camber and a flat shave/roll of the fender.

ditch the arnotts. you'll just be (best case) redoing the arms in a year or less. You don't really need all the rear megan arms, but if you want them I guess. They're only really useful when adding a LOT of camber (which, frankly, you won't be needing.)
Old 01-25-13, 11:17 PM
twang104
Driver School Candidate

Thanks j2b4o for the heads up!
Old 01-25-13, 11:20 PM
twang104
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LMoney4o8
Hey I'm also from 408. I have been looking for an LS a while now. Maybe we can get together once I get mine? If you don't mind me asking how much did you get your LS for?

A very good shop is Auto Innovations, they are very careful and know what they're doing.
I got mine for $8k with 140k miles. Body and interior was very clean for a 12 year old car.
Old 01-25-13, 11:26 PM
twang104
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SpencerT
Return them while you still can.

This
Thanks SpencerT. I just read a few reviews about the Arnott UCAsand Im gonna return them ASAP!
Old 01-25-13, 11:29 PM
twang104
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
definitely invest in OEM lower ball joints. check your strut rod bushes as well as they tend to go out iirc.

a reason why your car is still wandering after an alignment may be because your tires are still getting used to the new settings. if you drove on a bad alignment for a long time, this occurrence becomes more apparent. or it's your strut rod bushes...
Thanks timmy0tool. Im gonna take my car in for a second opinion and have the suspension inspected.
Old 01-25-13, 11:51 PM
twang104
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
FK452s aren't good for anything more than a minor stretch, they bubble.

I've been bouncing around the bay area for the past couple weeks, and Joseph and Carlos at Tire Outlet in Alum Rock had no problem dealing with my stretched rears. Service was excellent and I highly recommend them. The NorCal guys have a great thread for shops Here.

Hope you've got a good body guy, you'll need him for the front, the rears will fit with minor camber and a flat shave/roll of the fender.

ditch the arnotts. you'll just be (best case) redoing the arms in a year or less. You don't really need all the rear megan arms, but if you want them I guess. They're only really useful when adding a LOT of camber (which, frankly, you won't be needing.)
Thanks PureDrifter. I already got my front and rear fenders rolled and pulled. I had Nick from RMS work on my fenders. He did a pretty good job.

What tires are you rolling on? My next choice of tire are the Hankook V12s.

I got a great deal on the rear Megan arms. $310 for the camber, toe and traction. I test fitted my wheels (19x10 +20/19x11 +20) at stock height and the wheel were sticking out about 1"-1.5" (maybe more). So I figured that -4° to -5° of camber will not be enough. I'm trying to go for the flush look. This is my first set of "aggressive" wheels. My previous 94 LS400 was lowered on 19" G35 wheels.

As for the Arnotts, I'm going to return them ASAP. Have you replaced any of the front or rear suspension arms on your 99 LS?
Old 01-26-13, 04:21 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by twang104
Thanks PureDrifter. I already got my front and rear fenders rolled and pulled. I had Nick from RMS work on my fenders. He did a pretty good job.

What tires are you rolling on? My next choice of tire are the Hankook V12s.

I got a great deal on the rear Megan arms. $310 for the camber, toe and traction. I test fitted my wheels (19x10 +20/19x11 +20) at stock height and the wheel were sticking out about 1"-1.5" (maybe more). So I figured that -4° to -5° of camber will not be enough. I'm trying to go for the flush look. This is my first set of "aggressive" wheels. My previous 94 LS400 was lowered on 19" G35 wheels.

As for the Arnotts, I'm going to return them ASAP. Have you replaced any of the front or rear suspension arms on your 99 LS?
wow that is a pretty good deal for a complete set of arms, new? Where from?

Once you drop the car you'll see where you really are, the rears will fit with a shave and ~-3.5-4* camber, maybe less. the Fronts will be a pain, big pull and i'd estimate -3* in the front as well, if not more.

V12s are massive overkill in terms of performance. the new FK453s are supposed to be nice, I hear good things about the Nitto Neo Gens and the Toyo Proxes too, some people say the sumitomos stretch well. General G-Max stretch pretty well but run a bit on the big size. I run Nitto NT555s on my own car.
Old 01-27-13, 03:07 AM
twang104
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
wow that is a pretty good deal for a complete set of arms, new? Where from?

Once you drop the car you'll see where you really are, the rears will fit with a shave and ~-3.5-4* camber, maybe less. the Fronts will be a pain, big pull and i'd estimate -3* in the front as well, if not more.

V12s are massive overkill in terms of performance. the new FK453s are supposed to be nice, I hear good things about the Nitto Neo Gens and the Toyo Proxes too, some people say the sumitomos stretch well. General G-Max stretch pretty well but run a bit on the big size. I run Nitto NT555s on my own car.
I knew someone that worked at Andy's Auto Sport and got them at almost wholesale price.

Man it's tough trying to choose the right tires! I like the G-MAX AS03s bc of the 480 treadwear. I guess thats why they run a bit on the big side. How long have you been running the NT555s? What are you wheel and tire sizes?

I'm gonna take a trip to the Tire Outlet in San Jose and talk to Joseph.

BTW are you from the Bay Area also?
Old 01-27-13, 04:23 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

i have v12's on mine..they are great tires!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3443602...n/photostream/

Quick Reply: Replacing suspension parts when lowering a 98 LS400?Stretch tire install Bay Area CA?