LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 Ls400, engine runs fine, but no power to the wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-13, 08:24 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

No I haven't done the test that you mentioned. So I just loosen the cooler line and see if it sprays out? I need to do some research before I do that I guess.
why not do the much safer test I explained that does exactly the same thing? - just check the fluid level with car on and then car off - if the system is picking up and pumping fluid, there will be a large difference in fluid levels with car on vs. car off - this way involves no risk!
Old 03-16-13, 11:12 PM
PjLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh well, if the two tests test the same thing I will choose the less messy test. I was hesitant about disconnecting lines anyway. But I haven't gonna around to actually doing this test anyway. Tomorrow I should do it.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-13, 05:28 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by PjLex
oh well, if the two tests test the same thing I will choose the less messy test. I was hesitant about disconnecting lines anyway. But I haven't gonna around to actually doing this test anyway. Tomorrow I should do it.

Thanks!
I was not aware of the test cowboy spoke of (I am an old timer), I would do it myself too, because you want to know if your pump is putting out proper pressure. I have seen the hub come off of a torque converter before and the TQ was spinning but the pump was just idling. good luck on your test, and Thanks cowboy, we just keep learning...

BUT: you would remove the line, put a rubber hose on it, put the end in a bucket to catch the oil and THEN start the engine... this is also a good way to "change the ATF" in your tranny, instead of just 2 quarts at each oil change....

Oh, BTW, I retired 17 years ago (96) and had only owned 1 LS400 at that time, and we had never had one in my shop either.... for whatever that is worth..... I should probably just read and not comment.

Last edited by billydpowe; 03-17-13 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-17-13, 06:31 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe

BUT: you would remove the line, put a rubber hose on it, put the end in a bucket to catch the oil and THEN start the engine... this is also a good way to "change the ATF" in your tranny, instead of just 2 quarts at each oil change....
This is actually how I flushed out my system a couple of years ago. And I haven't had any ill affects either.
Old 03-17-13, 09:23 AM
PjLex
Driver

I appreciate everyone's advice! Thanks for all the comments and help!!
Old 03-17-13, 05:59 PM
PjLex
Driver

I am looking at transmissions on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-00-TOYOTA...-/390560518809 This one in particular, I am looking at.

Anyone have experience with transmissions like this? Are JDM engines and transmission the real deal?

Does anyone know what it takes to switch a transmission out in a vehicle like mine? Do I have to do much after I install a new one? Like software updates or have it calibrated by the dealership?
Old 03-17-13, 06:19 PM
PjLex
Driver

I did the test of the transmission fluid, with engine off and engine at idle. I didn't notice a difference in the levels. I idled the engine for a two or three minutes. Then check the fluid level on the dipstick.
Old 03-17-13, 08:37 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

then your problem is TC/front pump, call a transmission shop that works on toyota-lexus.
their price will probably blow you away....
the ebay looks like the way to go.... but someone smarter than me needs to tell you,
have you tried craigslist??

Last edited by billydpowe; 03-17-13 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-18-13, 02:26 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
then your problem is TC/front pump, call a transmission shop that works on toyota-lexus.
NOT necessarily - as I stated before, this could be a pickup problem, which I have seen in LS400's of this vintage before

some aftermarket transmission filters have a habit of falling down into the pan, making it now impossible for the fluid to get picked up and delivered to the pump, giving this exact same symptom of no fluid pumping - definitely change the filter to a genuine Toyota before doing anything else. - this little tidbit may just save the OP and/or the towing company a couple of $1000

let's hope so!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 03-18-13 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-18-13, 08:45 PM
PjLex
Driver

So you would definitely drop the tranny pan and check the transmission filter? I am close to taking it into the shop, but normally I do all the work on it myself.

If i drop the pan on the tranny, how much oil will come out? I am not sure I have a large enough pan or bucket to catch it all.
Old 03-18-13, 08:52 PM
PjLex
Driver

Has anyone on here actually replaced a tranny in a car like mine? Been searching the forums and can't find much. Not sure if there are any tutorials our there.
Old 03-18-13, 09:19 PM
diamondave
Driver

The first thing i would do is a fluid and filter change. When i first bought my car it had been sitting for over a year and still ran great but several times the trans quit pulling and after waiting 5 mins or so and recranking it would pull fine. i have a habit of doing a fluid and filter change on the trans first thing with any used car i buy. i also recommend putting a quart of Lucas additive and high quality fluid in. i changed mine and also used the Lucas Automatic transmission fluid too and it has pulled perfect ever since. my fluid didnt look bad at all but the screen in my filter was almost completely blocked. i would change it before doing anything else. it will cost you about $50-60 bucks and it is more than worth a try. i have seen it save many transmissions. Changing the trans fluid and filter is actually a regular maintenance but most people over look it. Good luck to you
Old 03-19-13, 04:32 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PjLex
So you would definitely drop the tranny pan and check the transmission filter? I am close to taking it into the shop, but normally I do all the work on it myself.

If i drop the pan on the tranny, how much oil will come out? I am not sure I have a large enough pan or bucket to catch it all.
pj, only about 2 quarts will come out when you drop the pan, to change it you will have to pull the pressure line at the radiator (read the other post),,
Old 03-29-13, 09:04 PM
PjLex
Driver

So it has been awhile, but I am still working on the problem. I got under the car while it was running. I removed most of the shields, especially the one showing part of the fly wheel. The fly wheel is turning, but there is a lot of racket coming from that area. It is making a lot of rotational noise, and racket. To me that would seem to make a broken torque converter more of a chance.
I got a transmission jack and am thinking of just dropping the tranny. Hopefully I would find the problem that way. My reservation, is what if it is some electrical sensor or maybe a tranny solenoid issue.
I am still working on the problem and welcome any advice on the matter.
Old 03-30-13, 12:48 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

just drop the trans already...something mechanical is broken from everything you describe.

Quick Reply: 98 Ls400, engine runs fine, but no power to the wheels