LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Coolant Leak? What is this tube?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-13, 03:24 PM
DesertLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak? What is this tube?

I had my timing belt, water pump, etc. done on my 99 a few weeks ago. Today I noticed a wet spot near the inside of the front passenger's wheel. The car had been off overnight so I knew it wasn't condensation from the A/C system. I took off the front undercover (not sure if this the right term) to see what was going on.

The photos show what appears to be coolant that leaked. I asked for all OEM parts and fluids but it looks like a green colored coolant was used. There was coolant on the top of the cover and along some of the radiator lines. The slow drip leak (about every 15 seconds) is coming from the clear tube in the picture. Anyone know what that tube is or what it is connected too?

The pictures are of the plastic tube were it's leaking, the top part of the undercover, coolant tank (there is some greenish mixed in the red), potential leak source between the radiator and engine, and color of the dripping fluid.

I'm calling the mechanic first thing Monday morning and having them fix and clean this. I'm thinking they need to exchange all the fluid so nothing is mixed. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak? What is this tube?-img_1149.jpg   Coolant Leak? What is this tube?-img_1151.jpg   Coolant Leak? What is this tube?-img_1155.jpg   Coolant Leak? What is this tube?-img_1156.jpg   Coolant Leak? What is this tube?-img_1159.jpg  

Old 03-16-13, 03:32 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Its the radiator drain tube. Either the valve is not tight or bad seal.
Old 03-16-13, 03:32 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

that tube is not connected to anything, it is just the radiator drain tube.
Old 03-16-13, 04:05 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

ur running green coolant?
Old 03-16-13, 05:02 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Yeah radiator drain tube. They should have put the toyota red coolant in there. Just check the reservoir to see the color.
Old 03-16-13, 06:01 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

if the off-white colored twist drain valve located at the top of the tube is tight, then you need to go to any Toyota dealer and order its special o-ring p/n 96711-19007

although every Toyota & Lexus dealership should stock this super common o-ring, and replace it every time they change the coolant, sadly, they don't, so you typically have to order it and come back and get it in a couple of days.

do not use just any o-ring that fits, get the real one, only a couple of bucks!

and I agree with everyone else, flush the system with distilled water a few times and get that crappy green coolant completely out of your system and get the correct Toyota red coolant in there, it is p/n 00272-1LLAC-01, mix 50/50 with distilled water to make "pink" - this coolant is a little pricier, but it will save your expensive radiator and water pump!

by the way, are the gentlemen shown below the ones who did your timing belt/water pump by any chance?

Coolant Leak? What is this tube?-zxic3b0.jpg

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 03-16-13 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-16-13, 09:00 PM
DesertLS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the recommendations. Below is a picture of my coolant reservoir, which was completely filled with the redish Toyota coolant previously. Strangely only the greenish coolant is leaking.
Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak? What is this tube?-img_1154.jpg  
Old 03-16-13, 09:07 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

you have a mixture of red & green, which is a worse situation than all green

I would fix this ASAP

it's pretty easy, just loosen the drain plug, radiator cap, a couple of drains in the engine block area and the top fill bolt and drain everything out, then fill with distilled water, drive around a little bit (not much, just till the temp gauge comes all the way up so that the thermostat opens) and then repeat the whole procedure a couple more times then put in the good stuff - real Toyota red!
Old 03-16-13, 10:08 PM
DertyDOH
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea you can't mix the 2 antifreezes, I read of one guy ending up with a jello like substance from mixing them
Old 03-17-13, 06:39 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Just take it back to the shop like you said and be adamant about them flushing the system and replacing it with the right stuff. This is why I don't trust most mechanics. Makes me think they didn't even flush your system in the first place.
Old 03-17-13, 08:05 AM
1YUZFE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sha4000
This is why I don't trust most mechanics. Makes me think they didn't even flush your system in the first place.
This is true, I am a Mechanic myself.

Whoever did the work only put back the coolant that was lost during the water pump replacement and nothing else. It's just common sense.. if you see red coolant coming out of it, put red back in it. Sadly, I've worked with people in the past that do these kinds of things.

If it was a yellowish type of coolant like most universal coolant is, it would be ok for a little while but it's always best to go with OEM Toyota coolant. Even more baffling to me as to why they still used green coolant, I went to buy coolant from Toyota a few weeks ago and they now make a 50/50 red coolant. Just pour it in and don't think twice. It's too bad there are so many stupid mechanics out there.
Old 03-17-13, 11:53 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

+1 to the above responses and find a shop that has a better technician.
Old 03-17-13, 04:22 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RA40
+1 to the above responses and find a shop that has a better technician.
not sure he could find one with a worse technician, that was a huge error, I am amazed the new timing belt is currently keeping the valves and pistons separated!

did they even change it at all?
Old 03-18-13, 11:21 AM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

on top of fixing the coolant drain **** with a new o-ring, it looks as if the upper radiator hose is leaking too from the thermostat housing. when bringing it back to the mechanic, mention this and they should fix it under warranty. and like everyone said, OEM toyota red coolant only! since it was mixed, the system needs to be flushed out and replaced.

Old 03-18-13, 07:41 PM
DesertLS
Driver School Candidate

After reading how serious the mixture could be I decided to get it fixed ASAP.

Woke up early this morning and got 2 gallons of coolant from the Toyota dealership (oncediluted it worked out to 16 qts total). Called the mechanic, told them the issue, and said I was coming in and wanted them to flush it with the RIGHT fluid.

They flushed it for free (as they should) and as Timmy mentioned, the clamp at the top of the radiator was the source of the leak and they replaced that too. No leaks from the o-ring since and I'm happy to be running Toyota fluid again.

I do my own basic maintenance (oil, trans fluid, basic belts, I want to try brakes next) as nobody cares about your car as much as you do. It's unfortunate that you can't always trust that people will do it right the first time.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak? What is this tube?