LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lexus or a Benz ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-03, 12:38 PM
42N8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hey Aggie GS-

I'd say it's time to relo! What's an Aggie doing in Longhorn territory??? :eek:
Old 01-06-03, 04:43 AM
Dema
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: Lexus or a Benz ?

Originally posted by wantAnewLex

You seem like an arrogant person who would serve himself well by buying a status-symbol Mercedes.
I found funny post in another forum that you can see big number of S on streets in Korea. Why? The answer was a simple, most of bodyshops transform Hyundai to Mercedes for a small fee. It looks like Koreans are also very arrogant.
Old 01-06-03, 04:44 AM
Sanjman
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys whats up,

I'd like to say... that ...

First... if you can afford brand new S500's or LS430's... then maintenance shouldn't be a problem as long as you follow the manual.

Usually when you go in... there is someething else wrong... well get it checked out by other mechanics, too and see what they say, dealerships including Lexus will try to make extra cash during maintenance checkups.

So try to build a good relationship with one dealer and one mechanic.... but use the mechanic to test the dealers words.
Old 01-06-03, 07:10 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally posted by Sanjman
Hey guys whats up,

I'd like to say... that ...

First... if you can afford brand new S500's or LS430's... then maintenance shouldn't be a problem as long as you follow the manual.

Usually when you go in... there is someething else wrong... well get it checked out by other mechanics, too and see what they say, dealerships including Lexus will try to make extra cash during maintenance checkups.

So try to build a good relationship with one dealer and one mechanic.... but use the mechanic to test the dealers words.
its not about if we can afford the maintenace.. its about how many times its in the shop and what kind of service they give you while your car is there and such. Our SL has been in the shop quite a lot (first year car so i guess its ok.. for a benz ) but the lexus is never in the shop. heh, i know its unfair but its not that we're having trouble paying for the shop costs. Its how long its there and stuff. With our Lexus dealer lets say our LS is gonna be there for a week, sure no problem, they already have the loaner ready and they've already thrown us the keys to the RX300 or whatever car we want. Even a LS430 if we asked cuz lexus is nice that way. They don't require you to sign all these legal crap like our benz dealer does. Heck i think my Lex is worth less then 5k right now, but we still get Pimp/King treatment! The benz tho, we get there, wait a little while, get lied to, and then get a C240 loaner.. COME ON! at least hook us up with a E-Class or something, and don't make us sign all these legal fees and insurance stuff!
Old 01-06-03, 10:06 PM
95ls400
Driver School Candidate

you are right, Lexus dealer is top in service. I don't own an Benz but I hear a lot of complaints from Benz owner that their dealer mistreat them.
Old 01-08-03, 08:24 PM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Thumbs up Howdy 42N8

Howdy & Gig'em. Well guess what, I am relocating out of Austin up to a new job in northwestern Illinois as we speak. Began up here on Dec 1 and in process of selling old /building new home. In fact, we just got a decent offer tonight on our home in Austin; only 40 days on the market too!!! Not bad at all given the over 8,000 odd homes on the market there.

I'm waiting till I get settled up here in the spring to make my final decision but 99% of me has decided to go with an LS430 with Custom Lux to replace my GS300. Waiting only to see if more info comes out on '04 changes and rather not expose brand new car to winter salt up here. Getting that first scratch is devistating enough for me without addin salt in the wound too.

Old 01-09-03, 08:48 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts
Default Re: Howdy 42N8

Originally posted by AggieGS
Howdy & HOOK EM HORNS!. Well guess what, I am relocating out of Austin up to a new job in northwestern Illinois as we speak. Began up here on Dec 1 and in process of selling old /building new home. In fact, we just got a decent offer tonight on our home in Austin; only 40 days on the market too!!! Not bad at all given the over 8,000 odd homes on the market there.

I'm waiting till I get settled up here in the spring to make my final decision but 99% of me has decided to go with an LS430 with Custom Lux to replace my GS300. Waiting only to see if more info comes out on '04 changes and rather not expose brand new car to winter salt up here. Getting that first scratch is devistating enough for me without addin salt in the wound too.

sorry had to do that

btw, what is the custom lux thing? is it a type of package? i have no idea on a lot of the lexus what the packages are
Old 01-10-03, 08:32 AM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Default Changes

I'd expect an "Okie" or a "Husker" to change my post but a "t-sip" - I thought we were beyond that. I do enjoy our rivalry - sort of like being brothers once we matured beyond our school day pranks on each other, stealing bevo, etc.

The packages are confusing these days on the LS. Options list one set of packages on the Lexus web site but when you build you get a different set of option packages that aren't defined very well. I use Edmonds to really understand. The ultimate package on the LS is the Ultra that includes all the backseat goodies that my kids want but I refuse to give in; massagers, audio access, cool-box, etc. I'm gonna get the upgraded audio/nav with climate seats, parking sensors, headlight washers, and have got to try the laser cruise control given I will travel a fair amount on the interstates.

Last edited by AggieLS; 01-12-03 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-12-03, 08:12 PM
titanskj10
Rookie

get the lexus more reasonble prices than mercedes and they look betta to
Old 01-14-03, 04:11 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

2 great cars... It boils down to your and your pocket book and personality...

Hell, I love the LS430, but I bought a Jag XJ8L(knowing the LS is a more reliable car) because of the look... It depends on the mood and the circumstance....
Old 01-14-03, 11:08 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

I'll have to agree. Lexus seems to have far less problems than the similiar year Mercedes. take a look at www.mercedesshop.com and you'll know what I mean. Owners of Benzes seem to have 10 times as many problems as a Lexus owner. But at the end of the day I guess it's a matter of looks, make, and ultimately, preference/choice. !
Old 01-16-03, 03:05 AM
Dema
Pole Position

Originally posted by The Ikon
2 great cars... It boils down to your and your pocket book and personality...

Hell, I love the LS430, but I bought a Jag XJ8L(knowing the LS is a more reliable car) because of the look... It depends on the mood and the circumstance....
I also love XJ8. But it will be redesinged for next year, so I decided to wait a bit.
Old 01-16-03, 04:58 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah the new XJ8 will be out but the overall look will stay the similiar... that's the good thing..

The new jag will an overall bigger car than it is now...

Last edited by The Ikon; 01-16-03 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-27-03, 11:21 PM
azari
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, quality is the equivlant of prestige and status, and in that regard, Lexus has got it all!
Lexus, please keep the Mercedes punishment up!!
Old 03-28-06, 07:34 AM
Broker404
Driver

Originally Posted by blange400
THis has been a fun thread, but why is the discussion LS VS MB?

Wouldn't it be more fun to compare LS to Q?

Because there's no discussion. LS owns!

Quick Reply: Lexus or a Benz ?