LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 ride like floating

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 05:52 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ls400 ride like floating

My 98 ls400 is currently on Megan ez streets and its rides like its floating and it feels like ****! Anyone know what is the best settings to set the dampers? I don't have the extended thing to turn the ***** in the rear and don't want to keep removing the rear seat to adjust it. Although not hard but just wanna get the right settings. I think now its at 10 rear and 7 front. I am currently on is 250 18" wheels with 255/40 rear and 225/40 front, I'm just barely tuck in the rear and front is pretty much to point where can clear full turn. So Cl people what are your guys settings especially those with Megan's, I hate how the car ride right now it's ride floating, like **** and yes can feel every lil bump and do understand gotta sacrifice ride comfort if wanna ride dump lol
Old 04-01-13, 06:27 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

riding dumped, I knew i had to sacrifice comfort. which is why I wanted a stiff spring rate. I couldnt imaging riding with softer springs dumped.. I picked up my 53yr old mother at the airport (45min drive) in my car dumped with my stiff spring rate. She didn't complain at all.. Just laughed at the fender lining rubbing sound.

Even though im on a stiff spring rate the car is heavy enough to compress. My front is set at 3 clicks away from full stiff. and the rears are in the middle. Only complaints I get are from drunken passengers.

Id like to ride in a car with EZ or LP to feel the difference. Maybe I'll meet up with some chicago LS400 owners this summer.
Old 04-01-13, 06:32 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dengman
riding dumped, I knew i had to sacrifice comfort. which is why I wanted a stiff spring rate. I couldnt imaging riding with softer springs dumped.. I picked up my 53yr old mother at the airport (45min drive) in my car dumped with my stiff spring rate. She didn't complain at all.. Just laughed at the fender lining rubbing sound.

Even though im on a stiff spring rate the car is heavy enough to compress. My front is set at 3 clicks away from full stiff. and the rears are in the middle. Only complaints I get are from drunken passengers.

Id like to ride in a car with EZ or LP to feel the difference. Maybe I'll meet up with some chicago LS400 owners this summer.
What suspension do you have?? I would want to go stiffer spring rate but am saving for air bags over my coil now that's why not getting stiffer spring rate. So u set ur front stiffer than the rear?
Old 04-01-13, 06:53 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SynicalVip
What suspension do you have?? I would want to go stiffer spring rate but am saving for air bags over my coil now that's why not getting stiffer spring rate. So u set ur front stiffer than the rear?
im on megan track coilovers for a mkiii supra. 18k front springs 16k rears i believe. dont remember off the top of my head. Fronts are at full stiff because of the spring rate and the weight of the car. When I had it on soft or middle The damper would compress faster and rebound faster which caused it to be even more bouncy. So its set at full stiff compresses slower and rebounds slower. Feels smoother. Never adjust the rears felt fine how I have it set.
Old 04-01-13, 07:11 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

im on megan track coilovers for a mkiii supra. 18k front springs 16k rears i believe. dont remember off the top of my head. Fronts are at full stiff because of the spring rate and the weight of the car. When I had it on soft or middle The damper would compress faster and rebound faster which caused it to be even more bouncy. So its set at full stiff compresses slower and rebounds slower. Feels smoother. Never adjust the rears felt fine how I have it set.
I see hmm ill stiffen up the rear more and adjust the front as well. I don't know but to me when I stiffen up the front I feel the bump/bounciness more
Old 04-01-13, 07:52 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

I see hmm ill stiffen up the rear more and adjust the front as well. I don't know but to me when I stiffen up the front I feel the bump/bounciness more
u have to find that balance of spring rate and dampening rate.
Old 04-01-13, 07:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you need to set the front about 30-50% stiffer than the rear.
Old 04-01-13, 07:58 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Before I have the rear way stiffer than the front and it rode better than what it is now so I guess I'll just have to keep messing with it
Old 04-02-13, 06:52 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, did you use the whole set of coilovers? or just springs from the megan of the mkiii, i own a mkiii and although i don't have the megan coils on my car people on the forums often complaint that they blow not too long after installation.
Old 04-02-13, 10:45 AM
Hodson
Rookie

My 98 ls400 is currently on Megan ez streets and its rides like its floating and it feels like ****! Anyone know what is the best settings to set the dampers? I don't have the extended thing to turn the ***** in the rear and don't want to keep removing the rear seat to adjust it. Although not hard but just wanna get the right settings. I think now its at 10 rear and 7 front. I am currently on is 250 18" wheels with 255/40 rear and 225/40 front, I'm just barely tuck in the rear and front is pretty much to point where can clear full turn. So Cl people what are your guys settings especially those with Megan's, I hate how the car ride right now it's ride floating, like **** and yes can feel every lil bump and do understand gotta sacrifice ride comfort if wanna ride dump lol
Hey, my UCF10 is on EZ streets. I kept the damper settings out of the box and stiffened the front 3 clicks up. I believe mine were on 8 or 9 out of the box, so the rears are still at that but the fronts are now 12 I believe. It rides really nice to me.
Old 04-02-13, 10:54 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by akitomk3
Interesting, did you use the whole set of coilovers? or just springs from the megan of the mkiii, i own a mkiii and although i don't have the megan coils on my car people on the forums often complaint that they blow not too long after installation.
whole set. Ive had them on since the summer and I daily drive. I've been on two 10hr trips in one week this year already. No leaks or signs of being blown. I'd say I put nearly 13k on them already. Of course the manufacturer say offroad use only. If they do blow I plan on revalving them and going stiffer in the front. I've tried to find feed back on the track coilovers from the supra forums but no luck assuming everyone hates because of past "issues"

When decide to go back to stock height, air, or softer spring rate I'll find a mkiii surpra to build. Sure do miss twisting chassis feeling launching in a targa top lol.

Last edited by dengman; 04-02-13 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-02-13, 11:15 AM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you need to set the front about 30-50% stiffer than the rear.
this! you have a heavy V8 up front. go with 10 front / 7 rear!

you can also mess with the preload of the springs to go stiffer. tighten or bring the lower spring collar upwards a few turns. this should not change your height settings unless you messed with preload to sag (usually in the rear only with megans). it will be tough to turn the collars if the coilover top shaft nut is tightened down but moving the collar will increase the spring tension.
Old 04-02-13, 10:19 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Did some adjustment today, raise the front back up about 1/4 inch and set the front to 13 and left the rear at 10, and it sure does ride much better now lol. Lot smoother and don't feel as floating as it did before. Ill have to do more adjustment after I out the 19" I just picked up
Old 04-03-13, 05:39 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
this! you have a heavy V8 up front. go with 10 front / 7 rear!

you can also mess with the preload of the springs to go stiffer. tighten or bring the lower spring collar upwards a few turns. this should not change your height settings unless you messed with preload to sag (usually in the rear only with megans). it will be tough to turn the collars if the coilover top shaft nut is tightened down but moving the collar will increase the spring tension.
Megan says that the springs are linear and adjusting preload will not change the spring rate like with a progressive spring.
Old 04-03-13, 07:23 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by j2b4o
Megan says that the springs are linear and adjusting preload will not change the spring rate like with a progressive spring.
spring rate will be unchanged, but effective rate will increase and stiffen the ride when preload is increased. not recco'd as you lose travel.

Quick Reply: Ls400 ride like floating