LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

AutoCouture's New LS Body Kits (LS430 & 400)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-01, 12:17 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just checkin something out!
Old 03-28-01, 02:24 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lou Le

Hmmmm...nice icon
Old 03-28-01, 02:36 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Default Zushwa

So what kind parts (brand) did you get for your LS?
Old 03-30-01, 06:23 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

manaray,
I've just recently purchased my LS and I had to get the bumpers painted and windows tinted...as I've posted before, Im leaving the country for 6 months and Im saving for the mod's so when I get back in October I can get everything done...I'm getting 18's, but I dont know what brand yet, loule recommends racing harts, but I like the chrome...any suggestions??? plus probably yokohama tires...eibach prokit, borla exhaust, rmm intake..if its available...and I'd love the SRT TC but that's down the list....

I love the exclusive kit...but I dont know for my everyday driver...

any comments or suggestions would be appreciated...
Old 03-30-01, 07:56 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Chrome, you didn't tell me you are going for that look.
Let me see what I can find for you.
The HKS guy hasn't called or email me back guys so sorry for the wait.
I'll post something as soon as hear from him.
As I can remember looking at tires, I don't remember Yokohama makes a 245/45/18 tire at all.
I remember Dunlop, Toyo, Continental, and Michelin coming in that size though.
You might also want to pick up the latest copies of Super Streets, Turbo, or Max magazine because they have a guide for all the new wheels out.
Good luck on your selection and let me see what I can also find in a chrome for around $2500 with tires.

Old 03-30-01, 12:26 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

loule,

you are right about the 245/45R18's....it was the toyo's...not yoko's...Im mentally inpaired today....well, most days!!

thanks for any help on the wheels...
Old 03-30-01, 02:38 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Default Zushwa

First off, congrats on the LS purchase...I'm looking for a used one myself as a second car because my GS will probably become a strict showcar/weekend driver.

Ok, let's break this down:

WHEEL SIZE
May I ask why you're getting 18's? Is it for comfort/road reasons? The LS being the large car that is, I think anything less than 19" looks kinda small. Then again, if you got 18's with some high profile tires (like the ones I listed below), it won't look so bad.

As you know, chrome is also going to raise the price of the rims. Here's the Wheel/Tire specs I recommend...all size were picked to keep the overall diameter of the wheel/tire close to the original (225/60/16 - 26.63" Diameter). The Front/Rear setup is if you want your wheels staggered. This is the best way to go (it gives your rear tires some more traction)...but to tell you the truth, if you drive this car a lot (if it's your primary vehicle), I would do an "All Around" setup over a staggered one.

Front - 19x8.5 - 245/40/19 (26.72" Dia)
Rear - 19x9.5 - 275/35/19 (26.59" Dia)
All Around Option 1 - 19x8.5- 245/40/19 (26.72" Dia)
All Around Option 2 - 19x9 - 255/40/19 (27.03" Dia)

Front - 18x8.5 - 245/45/18 (26.68" Dia)
Rear - 18x9.5 - 275/40/18 (26.66" Dia)
All Around Option 1 - 18x8.5 - 245/45/18 (26.68" Dia)
All Around Option 2 - 18x9 - 255/45/18 (27.04" Dia)

TIRES
Unless you want to replace tires every 10,000 miles, I suggest stay away from tires with wear ratings (UTQG) of less than 240. Yokohama's are great tires but they wear WAY TOO FAST. Here's a few that I would pick:

FOR 19":
All Around - 245/40/19 - Dunlop SP Sport 9000 ($331/ea)
All Around - 255/40/19 - Dumlop SP Sport 9000 ($309/ea) (*)
Front - 245/40/19 - Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico ($297/ea)
Rear - 275/35/19 - Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico ($324/ea)

FOR 18":
All Around - 245/45/18 - Toyo Proxes T1-S
All Around - 255/45/18 - Nitton 555 Extreme (*)
All Around - 245/45/18 - Dunlop SP Sport 9000 ($240/ea)
Front - 255/45/18 - Nitto 555 Extreme ($???/ea) (*)
Rear - 275/40/18 - Nitto 555 Extreme ($???/ea)
Front - 245/45/18 - Dunlop SP Sport 9000 ($240/ea)
Rear - 275/40/18 - Dunlop SP Sport 9000 ($310/ea)

(*)-You should do a 9" wide rim for this size

I'm not a Pirelli fan but if you want to do staggered 19" wheels, Pirelli is the only one with the right size tires...personally, I dislike them enough to just do an 19" "All Around" size.

WHEEL BRAND/DESIGN
Now this is a topic of GREAT debate. I'm personally into the clean, elegant look. I'm not into the Rap Star Bling Bling stuff (and I'm not old NOR a parent!) If it were MY LS, I would do 19" or 20" AutoCouture Supremes in silver with a high polish lip. That looks PHAT AND CLASSY/ELEGANT.

I think the LS looks best with a DISH style rim or a MESH style rim. I think many spoked rims (especially the ever-so-popular 5 spoke) make LS's look too sport car like and out of place. The LS is NO SPORTS CAR.

Now having said that, I think Racing Hart makes EXCELLENT rims. I think the Racing Hart M6 is a nice looking rim but I'd have to Photoshop onto your LS to see...

Now stepping up, you move into Racing Hart's luxury rims, Lowenhart. The Lowenhart BR-5 looks nice, as does the Lowenhart BS-5.

Lsportline's Model III comes ONLY in chrome and is a nice looking Dish style rim.

Now getting a little deeper into the JDM pool, I would look at:
Andrew Racing Dish
Volk SE37W (but in POLISH, not bronze!)
Kranze Cerebus

Of course, you can't go wrong with HRE either!

OTHER ITEMS
Exhaust - Personally, I don't like the look of the Borlas. I would pick a JDM exhaust from someone like Evolution/Exclusive/AutoCouture or some other brand that specializes in "luxury" cars (like Wald Japan, Junction Produce, etc.). They make nice looking exhausts that aren't too loud.

Intake - Don't bother with the RMM. It doesn't really do ****. If you want to increase power, get the SRT Intake/ECU combo (but that's $1000 retail and it requires a little wiring...nothing major, but the cost may be too much)

Springs - Eibach's are good. I would also consider changing the shocks...how many miles do you have your car (and what year/body style is it?)...you may need some new shocks, you might as well buy some good adjustable ones while you're lowering your car...

Body Kit - I think the Exclusive body kit is perfect for everyday. It's not too low (and you're not lowering the car too much) and it's inexpensive.

I think that pretty much covers all of it...if funds are limited, I just build the car up slowly. Don't rush the project and buy something cheap because the funds weren't available right then and there. I would do the springs/shocks and the wheels first. Then the bodykit and exhaust (get a matching set) second.

Last edited by Manaray; 03-30-01 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-30-01, 04:00 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

manaray,

first, Im very impressed that you would spend so much time on one post...any input from you or any of the other recognized veterans (loule, jbrady, others..) at this stuff is very appreciated...

I was reading some of the GS posts and its very evident that you're not into the "I'm a pimp" look...I want my LS to be a combination of sporty and elegant, like most on this sight...that said, I have limited funds (new daughter!!) so please take that into consideration when making recommendations..

everything you've pointed out I've liked...first the wheels...my reasoning for 18's is price, things get pricey over that..and performance...my LS (a 93, black w/ tan leather) is my everyday driver in all weather conditions....my first wheel of choice was the lowenharts...very nice...but over my limit...I was telling loule that I want to spend $2000-2500 on wheels and tires...I think the ones I liked were the LD1's and the BSD's...I cant remember right now...but I like more of the dish look...some spoke wheels look ok...but then I'd have to upgrade my brakes at the same time...most of the brands I've seen are probably what you would consider "lower end"...I saw these diablo racing vienna's but they're only 18x7.5...no thanks...the MKW MK-9 arent bad for spokes but I dont know anything about them...I'll look at the HRE's and Volk's to see if I like anything...

I want to keep the same size all the way around for rotating purposes...and something that will perform well but also last...I'll check out the nitto's..

as for the springs and shocks...Ive heard only good things about the eibach...what shocks do you recommend???

the reasoning for the borla exhaust was because it seems to be the quietest..I have yet to see one...the greddy is huge..the others I'm not familiar with....

the exclusive kit is perfect...if there is a kit in my future that will be the one....but as you said, first the wheels and tires...lower it a bit, exhaust...then kit...Id love a TC but I'll decide that when I can either get that or the kit...decisions, decisions!!!!

the other question I had was about lights...what's your opinion on upgrading????

thank you for all your help, as well as everyone elses...i truly enjoy gaining info on something I really enjoy...

any links to any of the products you mentioned would be helpful...

Last edited by zushwa; 03-30-01 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-30-01, 06:46 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default xenon or exclusive?

well manaray, i really cannot decide right now, i know you do not like the xenon kit, but i think that LS looks agressive, but we all have different tastes.i want something that is pimped out, but aggresive looking, the exclusive is nice and clean, but i would love a front bumper with foglight slots that is the only problem. because i do not want to cut my oem front bumper, but if you have any add on kit to show, please show us and i got one other question for you, my LS is the two tone one with Pearl White and Silver on the bottom half, would think the LS should stay the same with a kit on or would it look better all in Pearl White.
thanks for all your help, because i am like asking you everyday for favors.

Last edited by LOTC; 03-30-01 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-31-01, 03:08 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Default Exclusive

edogg: Before I start, I want you to that you're my bro. I'm an honest guy that doesn't hold back. I say what's on my mind without any holding back (as I'm sure many people have read)...I state my opinions and if people like it, great, if not, I can live with that...and remember, personal opinions are just that. When it come down to it, it's your money and it's your car, do as you please! I also don't mind answering questions!

Ok, now let me ask you one question about the body kit. I understand that we have different tastes (but not too different as we both own a Lexus! ), but ni my opinon, the Xenon kit will only impress the guys driving the Mickey Mouse (TM) Civics. I mean look at the kit. It would look at home on some POS Civic or Accord, but not a Lexus!

I'm not talking about the Civics that are done up right, but I'm talking about the people that think a 3 tier rear wing is going to make their car faster...and that yellow paint, even if it's Krylon, will make their cars look faster...along with their Pep Boys/Chiefs Hub-Rims (Hubcap Rims). This are the Mickey Mousers {TM}...hmmmm, Mouseketeers sounds better!

These are what's know as "ricers" or "beaterz". They're a really low end attempt at fixing up a low end car. Is this the group you want gawking at your car?

Honestly, you only want the foglights for the looks. That's really pointless! Don't base the entire look of your car just because you want foglights for LOOKS! I mean if you NEEDED foglights (which the LS already has) because you live in a foggy area, that's one thing, but that's not the case.

The LS is NOT an aggressive car. An IS300 is a mildy aggressive car. A Supra is an aggressive car. A Silvia (240SX) or Fairlady (300Z) is an aggressive car...Having a "No Fear" sticker is...well, it's just retarded.

The LS is NOT a pimp car. A Cadillac is a "pimp" car. A Lincoln Towncar is a "pimp" car. And any American car before 1985 or so is a "pimp" car (like a '78 Olds Cutlass). Putting a Playboy Bunny sticker on your car is "pimp". Having a naked a chick and some relious artwork airbrushed to the hood of your car is "pimp". Rolling ANY car with 13" Gold Spoke Daytons is pimp. Having hydro's so your car can "bounce" is pimp...driving a beaten '82 Chevy S10 "pimped" out on some wacked 16" chrome uglies with a mismatched painted job and flossing it like it's some $60,000 ride is...well, that's just someone with a low IQ.

The LS is a LUXURY car and the Xenon Kit is truly HIDEOUS. It's cheap (and Xenon doesn't produce what one could call a "top quality" kit...even "mediocre" would be a compliment). It's only benefit is that it's CHEAP (inexpensive).

CHEAP should not be in a LS400's owners vocabulary! Especialy when it comes to fixing up their car! Trying to make your LS "aggressive and pimp" is the opposite of trying to make a Civic "go fast and be luxrious". At least the Civic owner is trying to work up the ladder!

If you do the Exclusive kit, along with some decent rims, not only will the Mickey Mouse(TM) crowd gawk (this is really not much of an accomplishment BTW, hell they'll gawk at ANYTHING with large chrome rims...), but the people who know the real deal will gawk. I know if I saw you rolling down the street with an Exclusive kit on your LS, I would give you props. If I saw that Xenon kit with some bull**** no-name-knock-off 16" rims, I would laugh and shake my head. Treat your Lexus like a Lexus, not a Hyundai.

Trust me on this one, go with the Exclusive kit. And if you want aggressive, save up for a Supercharger, TC, etc. Your car won't look so "aggressive", but as soon as your smash that accelerator, the poor sap you left at the light will see a new defintion of aggressive....plus they'll see your Lexus logo getting smaller and smaller...

Also, I think the Pearl White/Silver is a great looking combo. I'm not a "white" car fan (but I like Silver...who doesn't?) but the Exclusive LS with the Pearl White/Silver paint scheme looks tight....it's redefined my search for a used LS (before, I was looking for ONLY Black, Silver/Grey, or Dark Blue...but now, I am also adding the Pearl White to my list)

If you want, I can talk my homie who deals with Avanche (importers of the Exclusive kit). Let me see what kind of deal I can get (if any...Avanche isn't the most "constomer service" oriented importer in the world)

If you get the Xenon kit, you'll still be my bro...but I'll still laugh at you when you drive by!
Old 03-31-01, 04:32 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Default Zushwa

Thanks for the compliment...I didn't know I was a "recognized veteran"...according to the Club Lexus Forum Rating (CLFR?), I'm just a "Rookie"!

Yeah, the whole "I'm a badass hard ghetto pimp that gotz all da *****ez, the gold Rollies with ice on the bezo" and other such nonsense is just RETARDED. If you're a true pimp, you don't need to make it so damn obvious and call attention to the fact that you *THINK* you're a pimp. Trying to floss a '89 Maxima with 18" Chrome uglies doesn't make you a pimp....but I digress...

Anyways, getting back to issue at hand, let me start off by saying a '93 LS400 (and '94) is a good choice. According to a lot feedback, those two years are considered the most problem free (which says a lot considering how problem free the whole LS line is!)

Shocks: Tokico (less than $100 each...like $90 or so) makes a shock that will stiffen your ride a little but it won't blow chunks when you lower your car (which your stock shocks are much more prone to do). So a Eibach/Tokico combo should look good and give you a sportier ride. I would also consider a Strut Tower Bar to improve your handling even further (these are in the $200-$400 range)

Tires/Rims: Figure you'll spend approx. $1000 on tires and install/balance. I would go with the Nittos (that's what I have)...this is my second set (two different cars) and I love them.

Getting back to rims, with a $2500 budget, that leaves you $1500 for rims (after you subtract $1000 for the tires) which works out to $375/rim. NOT GOOD. I would save up some more and get to at LEAST $500/rim ($2000 total) arena. You'll get vastly better rims (looks and quality).

SSR makes a nice "wide split 5 spoke" called the Agle Minerva that sell for around $2700/set for NINETEENS (19") in a staggered setup (8.5 and 9.5). Call Dave at GT Autosports and ask him to price out a set of 18x8.5's for ya. It's a nice 3 piece rim with a nice deep high polish lip.

Another rim I'd look at the Aldstadt I. They should be around the same price. The Altstadt IV is also nice.

The Manaray Sport Avant is a nice looking wheel also and I think it might be in the $500/rim or less catagory. The Manaray Sport Stuttgart are also nice spoke rims but they are a little more costly....

Honestly, for less than $500/rim, there really isn't much as far as nice luxury rims. Like I said, save up and do it right!

I also would NOT do MK's as they are a BMW tuner. I'm very much against cross-branding. Though Brabus, Hartge, Hamann, Lorinser and others make great looking rims, they specialize in BMW and Mercedes. They don't support Lexus, we should not support them.

Lights: If you can afford to do HID's ($400-$700) then I would WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend it. HOWEVER, I would put this pretty low on the list. If you want to change your "yellowish" headlights, I would get the PIAA Super White/Platium bulbs. They look WHITE, not that nasty "Blue" (which is supposidly HID color but anyone with REAL HID's will tell you that the light is not blue, but BRIGHT WHITE). I would definitely change the bumper lights to all white. The Orange stripe on the bumper is ugly. Other than that, I would also consider changing all the interior lights to "B1" lights (kind of a HIDish White color...) It looks a lot better than the yellowish interior lights. They're like $5 or so....inexpensive.

Other Things: I would consider getting a Strut Tower Bar to help your handling ($200 and up). As for brakes, I would put that WAY down list right next to TC.

Anyways, it's late (4:25 in the Morning here...) so I'll end the post here...if I didn't cover something you asked about or if you have more questions, please feel free to post more...if wasn't cognizant in this post, you know what my excuse is...

Last edited by Manaray; 03-31-01 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-31-01, 03:14 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

manaray,

once again, you have impeccable taste...however, we'll see if your taste fits into my budget...thanks for all the suggestions...

I knew about the shocks...that's probably the combo I'll go with...

the only thing I've heard bad about the Nitto's is that they are a bit louder than some...have you had this experience????

the question from edogg about the kits is a valid one for those of us who own the older LS's...mine is silver at the bottom as well...I've seen a kit with the 2 tone...not bad, but just different than most...personally, my black with silver skirts probably look better than the pearl white...but I'm just guessing...I personally think that the darker colors look better in general...in all your viewing of body kits, have you seen any 2 tone's and what do you think??? edogg, you have lots of pic's too...seen any with your pearl white????

I'm kinda pissed that I'm leaving in a few weeks...I've been talking about all the mod's and I want to see the end result....but I have to wait...PATIENCE!!! PATIENCE!!!

thanks again for all the help...anything else you have to offer would be appreciated...
Old 03-31-01, 10:19 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default exclusive kit!

Hey Manray this is good reasoning,cheap is cheap and class is class, I will go with the Exclusive Kit,it is just hard because i am just stuck in the Ricer trend, because i had a civic that was like that,man i am telling you driving my civic compared to my LS are too different worlds, and the majority of my friends are in Ricer crews and drive these so called ricer moblies,yes many ricers gawk and stare at even when my LS was totally stock.

Also if you have time can you check on your homie and see what kind of deal he could get on the exclusive kit?

Also one other question, but these mods would be further down the road, where can i get a good deal on a TC and a Strut bar?

Last edited by LOTC; 03-31-01 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-01-01, 05:11 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Default Zushwa and edogg

Two Tone: I think Two Tone looks fine...check out these two links for a sample...they're pictures that I've already posted...

Black/Grey Celsior UCF20/21 *MC (1995-1997 LS400)

Pearl White/Silver Celsior UCF10/11 (1990-1994 LS400)

Either color combo looks good in two tone in my opinion...

Zushwa: PATIENCES is the best way to do a project like this. If you try to rush it, you end up with something that looks rushed. Take you time and do it right.

edogg: Hey, I used to be into the fixed up Civics and Accords and such...but not the "ricer" type...I was into fixing them up, but not into adding useless "fixtures" like larger rear spoilers...I was more into the street/canyon racer type mods...coil overs, wider rims/tires...it was more about performance and handling than looks.

Trust me, all your "ricer" homies will give you props once your LS is done up right. If they think a larger DTM style rear wing would improve the looks of your LS, just step back and take a look at their ride and you'll understand why NOT adding a DTM wing will make your car look better.

As for a TC, I would hold off and do that last. That's a costly piece ($900) and the labor is not cheap (figure around $300 or so but don't quote me on that, labor prices vary quite a bit). As for the STB, off the top of my head, I know that C's (Japan) makes one for around $450. It's a little on the more expensive side (for example, the TRD one for the GS is only $230 or so) but call Dave at GT Autosports and ask him to get you price. He can also tell you of other manufactures that make them.

I would actually do a brake upgrade before the TC....it's more important to improve your braking abilities than your acceleration...it's not like the LS is slow!

And I'll find out about the kit some time next week from my homie...

Last edited by Manaray; 04-02-01 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-02-01, 07:05 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

DANG!!!!
I don't check the site for the weekend and this thread goes all out of whack! Let me try to answer some questions!

Tires and wheels
The reason I choose to get 18" instead of 19"-20" is the later cost of tires. On 18" you can get tires that will last 20-25K for $1,000 as in the 19"-20" (especially the 19", because for some reason their more rare then the 20") only last roughly 10-15K for $1,000 and more for the ones that would last 20-25K. If you remember, I'm trying to go back to school so that won't work with me. As much as I want some 19"-20" wheels, it ain't happening. As for that budget of $2,500 for wheels and tires, that was my budget also and I was fortunate to get some used 18" Volks and new Tires for $2000! Z, you might want to check out the Konig Imagine (I think that is what their called) deep dish, comes in size 18x8.5, and chrome for about no more then $1,500 for set of 4. With tires, you got $2,500, your budget. If you want them I can get you a number to call and the guy can get some for a really good price.

Engine improvments
SRT doesn't make a air intake and ECU upgrade for the LS, so that eliminates that debate over RMM and SRT. The exhaust, I agree with Manaray as in the Borla are ugly! I'm still waiting on the HKS and from what I heard I will hear info on it sometime this week (sorry guys, I can only tell you what my guy tells me). From what I heard the HKS is not loud untill you step on it, then it gets loud but not loud loud like the weed whacker "Hondas" and not with a weed whacker sound but more of a hum. It sounds more like the GS HKS exhaust, go to the GS forum for details on their HKS. I agree with the strut, that is why I got one, but it isn't installed yet till I can get the car dropped (got it from GTautosports, must warn you it is a long wait as it comes from Japan). Talkin' about drop I also agree with Manaray with the Eibach/Tokico setup (this what I'm doin') as in I won't lose a lot of ride quality and still get the dropped look. The Eibach's are rated at a 1" drop but once it settles in, it is more like a 1.25"-1.5" drop. Intrax is a 1.75" drop and with settlement a 2" drop. This is a more stiff spring due to the drastic drop. From what I heard, Tokico shocks are the smoothes shocks for the car and at Carpart.com they are only $75 now for each! The TC, check the TC talks on the LS forum. Best price is SRT at around $900, unless you get one used like me! Installation gonna cost around $300-$400 unless you know a mechanic (I have a friend and he did it for me for $150).

Looks and image
As most of ya'll know, I like the exclusive kit. I think it is the ****z (sorry for the getto french). I tried to stay out of the kit talk as in I believe it is up to the owners taste. Some want the a calm luxury look and some want the agressive look, what ever bust your bubble. As for the LS NOT bein' a pimp ride?! I beg you differ. According to all my getto friends, my ride is the ****z (there I go again)! All the honeys like it and want to ride it, and that is all I care for right now! Yeah (Big Pimpin' song playin' in my head right now)!

This what I love about ClubLexus! Everyone having their own taste and have different ideas of their cars! All this does is bring a wide range of owners helping each other out with almost unlimited knowledge! Alright I'm done with my long speech. I'm out.

Last edited by SQ-LS; 04-02-01 at 07:10 AM.

Quick Reply: AutoCouture's New LS Body Kits (LS430 & 400)