LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

AutoCouture's New LS Body Kits (LS430 & 400)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-01, 11:58 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, you're right..the LS is a pimp ride but not the same as the coupe deville on whitewalls...

thanks for all the advise from loule and manaray..I now pretty much know exactly what Im going to mod and how, except wheels!!!...my wife even liked the pic of the 2 tone executive kit (thanks again manaray!!) so now its just a matter of coming up with the loot...

manaray, if you talk to your boy about the kit for edogg, let me know if you can get a deal....

loule, I'll check out the konigs...any other suggestions from anyone would be appreciated...remember manaray...$2500....
Old 04-02-01, 12:57 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Oh, forgot!

Lights
THe H.I.D. conversion is tight but for $300-$500, I have better things to do with that money then just changing out my lights (as in saving for the shocks and springs). I instead did go with the Piaa's Platnium Whites and they look great to me. Not as bright as the H.I.D. but for only $65, they exceed my expectations.

Manaray, what you talk about is all great and cool but most of us interested in fixin' the LS (edogg, zushwa, and me) are young and very low on funds. I would love to do the things you have said but money is a really big issue. We still appreciate all the things you have done though, and would like you to keep up with all the things you have been doin' so far.
Old 04-02-01, 02:42 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $$$$$$

your are right Manaray I will hold off on the TC last,damn it even costs about $300 or more to install !!!, is it even worth it.also i am putting a double decked aluminium spoiler on my ride,hells yeah,just kidding, i did see a Benz with one recently and i could not stop laughing.

Yes Zushwa and Loule the LS is a pimp ride in most areas,when i drive roll around at school the girls keep looking,and the ones in my class jock my ride wanna roll in it.that is one of the reasons i got the LS.

also Manray i am headed to the sperm and blood banks right now for some quick $$$$....j/k

Last edited by LOTC; 04-02-01 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-02-01, 02:45 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LS...

Hey Lou! I thought you were boycotting this thread!!??

Wheels and Tires
You know you can get a set of 19" tires (Dunlop SP9000's) for $1200. Now a days, the difference in price between 19" and 18" isn't as great as it used to be.

As for the Konigs, I like that wheel design but I wouldn't buy Konigs because they're knock-off wheels and they're of mediocre quality. Also, if you look at the rim, notice it LOOKS like a 3 piece rim...it's really just a ONE piece rim. Faker. That's what I think of when I see **** like that. Fake *** wanna-be ****.

Now the Volks on the otherhand, Lou got a great deal for a set of good rims and tires!

Zushwa/edogg - gimmie some time and let me see what I can find you...in the mean time, save up some more cash...have a garage sale, sell your bodies (or parts!), whatever!

Also, I would put the exhaust and and other things on HOLD and put that money towards the rims. Rims make the single biggest impact the entire look of the car (with the body kit coming in a CLOSE second!...but a car with a body kit and stock rims looks LAME....a car with rims and no body kit looks fine!)

Pimp Ride
Like I said, any car with big chrome rims is a PIMP RIDE in the ghetto! Having a PIMP ride in Beverly Hills is different story... Coupé DeVille on Whitewalls...scary!

HID
Lou, I completely agree with the use of funds. I would do the shock and springs over the HID's...but let me tell you, once you have HID's, you'll never go back. The PIAA's are DEFINITELY a great substitute solution...

Fundage
Funds are definitly an issue. But like I've said before, it's better to save up and do it right then to just half-*** it. I'm not some rich old fart either. I have bills (many) to pay and I don't have money just pouring out of my *** (papercuts..OUCH!)...but I'm willing to save up and do things right. I've learned that settling for something not as good as what you want will just be a waste of money and you won't be satisfied with the half-*** solution.

I could have saved a LOT of money by buying a GS300 with just a premium package and I could have bought it a year ago, but I KNEW that I would not be satisfied with a 225HP engine and w/o the Nav or the upgraded stereo system (I didn't want to hack up my car with an aftermarket system since it's new!). I wasn't buying the car just for the styling. I want the power also. So I waited a year (and I'm glad I did as the new Nav is SO much better looking than the old one!), saved up my money and bought the 2001 GS430 with the Nav and Mark Lev. system. To say the least, I'm VERY glad I did that. I know for a FACT that I would have been unhappy with the slower GS300 and I would have ended up either taking a loss on selling the GS300 and buying a GS400/430 or I would have had to dump a LOT of money into making the GS300 faster. Either way wouldn't have been as good as just having a factory-fast GS430.

With my body kit, I had my sights on one kit (the Wise Sports kit) but when they went under, I didn't rush just to get another one (trust me, I had the bug, REAL BAD)....I sat back, looked at ALL the offerings and I wasn't TRULY happy with any of them. I knew that a few of the companies were going to release some more kits for the GS and bam! Just last month, I got word that AutoCouture released a new kit and it was exactly what I was looking for.

I'm telling ya...wait, save up, and get the better parts...

I have my homie looking up the price on the LS kit as I type...he'll probably get back to me tommorow as he'll probably have to call down to Avanche and get ahold of someone....

Anyways, like I said before, I'm happy to answer any questions you guys might have...and as always, DO IT RIGHT. If you guys have a hard time saving, put the money into a PayPal interesting bearing account and that way, the money is not "directly" available to you (in other words, you don't see it on your monthly bank statement or your ATM receipts. Out of sight, out of mind.) This way, you can save money and make some interest on it (not much of course). Then when you have enough, you transfer it to your bank account and write a check against it or go to bank and withdraw the money.

Last edited by Manaray; 04-02-01 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-02-01, 03:12 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Damnit, everytime I want out ya'll be changing the subject and things get interesting and just pull me back in!

I agree that you should do everything right the first time around, but I guess I have different priorities then you. I have a budget plan that will not let me exceed a certain amount for the whole year, in fact the next 3 years. I wanted a faster different looking LS4, but I have to pay bills, loans, etc. and really gotta concentrate on going back to school for the next 3 years. My car has to be done by the end of this summer in the given amount of budget and that is it for it. Saving up can't happen because it will blow my budget and interfer with my other budgets and savings. As much as I like to fix my car up, there are more important things to consider right now in my life.

This is just me but zushwa, edogg, etc. might be in the same boat also. I just want everything I can do to my car within my budget.

Saving up just means to me I will not get the finish product I invision with my budget to start with. For example, if I get the body kit (I want bad) then getting springs and shocks and somthing else is not happening unless I increase my budget. Not happening.

As for the tires,
Konig is not that bad. I know that was a one piece but it is more about the look and meeting his budget is the reason why I recommend it. To me Konig and Enkei are on the same level, quality wise. I was going to settle for this wheel until I met that deal that I couldn't pass up. Hell, I thought about it hard and I was going to save up for the HRE 446 but my fear of not being what I want to be because I spent more money on a set of wheels then saving for school got the better of me.

The way I look at it, make my ride look good for now and go to school for several years come back and get a great paying job. Get paid $$$$ then get another ride and really go all out on it. I rather sacrifice 3 years then my whole lifetime.

I guess it is in the way you look at it.
Old 04-02-01, 03:17 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up Manaray.......

Manaray,

remember me? Will here. we talked about some nice omega speed masters a few months back? i cannot decide whether to go for the watches, or save more for my gs goodies. life is full of tough choices. but the 430 is a definite way to go.

from many of your posts, it seemed to me we have rather similar tastes. the auto couture kit, are you interested in the full kit, or just the lip and skirt. the diff between the two sets is ~$1000 usdollars. i do not go to japan for business anymore, otherwise i could carry couple sets over for us.

from your inside-info here in the states, how much do those autocouture cost? both full and half kit?

thanks
Old 04-02-01, 03:28 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default nitto noise?

Zushwa, i have nittos 235/40/18-zr-555's all around and i do not hear nosie at all, also these tires have mad grip!
Old 04-02-01, 04:35 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Will: Hey, what's up? You never got back to me on the specific model you wanted. But figure around 30% to 40% off and possibly 45% off depending on the model.

I have a buddy that has a used Seamaster Titanium...$2500 list price, it's used but in decent shape (mechanically perfect, but it's got the usual scuffs and such from wear but at 10" or so away, it looks perfect...you really have to look close to see any scuffs)...anyways, I'll see what he'll let it go for (I figure around $1100-$1200) if you're interested. It's complete with box and open warranty (so you can put the warranty in your name) and it was bought from an authorized dealer so you'll have no warranty problems.

But if it was between stuff for my GS or a watch, I would do the GS stuff IF it was something significant like say Coil Overs or a body kit.

I'm doing the Version II kit (full)...the Version I kit is actually a full front bumper)...the Version II's kit is almost the same except for the side skirts are different and the rear bumper is a full one...

I'm waiting for a few prices on the AutoCouture Version II kit ...list price is like $2300 list just for the front bumper, side skirts, and rear bumper (FSR in JDM lingo) I'll let you know what prices I get and from who via email...

Zushwa - edogg nailed it on the Nittos...they aren't that loud (I didn't really notice a difference) and they have mad handling.

Lou - Hey, I understand when it comes to funds! You have a LOT of other things you need to take care of so in your situation, I can see why you need to do what you need to do. Personally, I would rather lower the car properly than get a body kit. A body kit with no lowering and rims looks kinda funny to me.

Your plan (decent ride now, go to school, get a good CAREER, and then buy some phat **** later) is a good plan. But again, you can just drive the car STOCK now and save more money, pay off bills, etc...but in any case, you look like you know what you're doing. Self restraint is good!

Like I've always said, fixing up your car is a LUXURY. Fixing up a LUXURY CAR is a REAL LUXURY...COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY...but OH SO DESIRABLE!
Old 04-02-01, 05:04 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Default 18" Aldstadt I rims for sale with tires...$2200!

Come and get it!

https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...threadid=10793

Or Click Here

Here's a small picture...
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-01, 07:37 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, the caddie on whitewalls was a joke!!!!

I completely agree about doing things right to the LS...for me, this is a complete learning experience...I didnt know about any of this less than a month ago...so strictly for knowledge I feel enlightened...

I do think that loule, edogg, and myself are under similar circumstances...and I appreciate your compassion manaray but if I could afford the GS430 then I wouldn't think twice about the Lowenhart LD1's..don't get me wrong...you have impeccable taste...its just a matter of finding some compromise when it comes to finding the best mod's for what I/we can afford...I will continue to save..because I do want as close to the best as possible, but come october...there will be scorch marks on my credit card!!!!

I have a question about wheels...is there anything besides dimensions, weight, size, etc...and name that I can look for in a wheel to be a determining factor...will I notice a difference in a "racing" wheel as opposed to a luxury "dish" wheel??? I already know that chrome makes a wheel heavy..but Im not really trying to set land speed records..i do want performance but I would think any quality aftermarket wheel would be an increase in performance..especially with springs, shocks, tires...any insight???

edogg, I cant speak from lexus experience but my father has been racing anything with wheels for 20 years and he heard I was thinking about getting a TC and he was all crazy like "you have to get one, I'll fly back to ride in it!!!" between that and what everyone posts on this sight it's increasing my interest...after the wheels, tires, springs, shocks, lights...DAMN...I gotta start delivering pizza's or something for some cash!!!
Old 04-02-01, 09:59 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up Manaray; too many goodies

Man, you read my mind about the watches, body kit and coilovers. i think for now the schmacher speed master would have to wait.

about those AUTO COUTURE body kits, did you say the list price for the version II Front is $2300 usd:eek:

for the version II full kit is approx as follow:
Front ~$1000
S/S ~ 700
R/B~ 900
these are the LIST retail price in JAPAN. i guess the importer/dealer here are really treating them as gold.

i was only going to ask you for the half kit, version 1. the kit reatil ~$1500 in japan, before discount. but from the figure you posted, i might just forget about them for now. let me know what you find out anyway. thanks.

i am thinking another trip across the pacific.

william
Old 04-03-01, 09:00 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

To zushwa
Racing wheels are usually one piece and are lighter usually then the three piece deep dish. You can get a deep dish that is light but you are also dishing out more money for them. Adding chrome to anything is going to have more weight. It really depends all on what your really after, speed or looks. For your budget more than likely your only able to get a one piece. This is why I recommend some of the one piece Racing Harts, their light, good looking and in your price range. Volk Racing also makes some one pieces and so does Manaray. I don't recommend chrome because you'll feel it on the acceleration! Hey, I know looking for wheels on a budget is hard (that is why it took me four months!). Hang in there and ultimately you'll get what you want.

To Manaray
Thanks for the understanding. I know I should be saving more money to go to school instead of my car, but damnit I have been going to school for almost my whole life and have yet to treat myself (not others treating me). I finally got a decent car and I will be having it for at least 3-4 more years. My treat to myself is fixin' up my car so I can pimp in it for the next 3-4 years. That is all I have asked for, besides a new computer.

Oh, on the tire thing 19" tires are getting cheaper but they still only last 10-15K miles. That won't work for me.

Give me 3-4 more years, Manaray, and I'll be knocking on your doors for parts that makes any ride the ****znuts!!!!

All right no more speeches.
Old 04-03-01, 11:14 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

gs4will
No No No! The WHOLE Version II kit is $2300! So the prices you gave are close...did you use the current exchange rate though because the list prices seem a little high.

Current exhange rate (as of 04/03/2001) is 0.00797211 JPY/USD. So just multiply the Yen by 0.00797211 and you'll have your equivalent US Dollar amount.

Of course, importers can charge what they want! And a lot of times, they'll charge you based on the exchange rate at the time of importation OR the current one, whichever is more (usually)

But good luck trying to find the kit in stock in the US. I have my feelers out EVERYWHERE. I'm checkin' with Avanche and hopefully my homie can hook something up!

Lou
Regarding the 19" tires...I don't know about that, I think the newer tires with the higher treadwear rating will last longer than 10-15K miles...I can't image they wouldn't last as long as the same wear rated 18" tire...

3-4 more years...hey, who knows, by then, I might be offloading some cars and parts and you can get a smokin' deal...

Zushwa
Lou is right. I would skip chrome. Save up and get a nice silver/polished lip 2 or 3 piece rim. I'm telling ya, you'll thank me!...but if you can get a good deal on a clean 1 piece rim, then that might be worth it. Let me see what I can find. Don't you have stuff you want to get rid of? Use eBay! I'll try to find something in the $2500 range but I think $3000 is more realistic.

Old 04-03-01, 11:40 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Talking my mistake, MANARAY

i went back to your thread and realized thta i misread the price. i did a very~estimate based on ~$1usd to 110 yen . usually, depends on the brand of kit, you can get 20%-35% off list price in japan. but i do understand thta the dealers here need to make some money to be in business.

Old 04-03-01, 01:53 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Default Exchange Rates...

Right now, the US$1 = JPY 125.53...good time to buy! Now if we could only get someone to bring these kits in...I'll guess I'll wait and see what Avanche says...

Quick Reply: AutoCouture's New LS Body Kits (LS430 & 400)