LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 not running right like a flick of a switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-13, 02:22 AM
squirralie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well as it turned out it was firstly the plastic plug on the coil cracked and 2ndly the coil wasn't firing so they got another coil and its now running beautiful, but I did ask them to check the timing belt as I did see some cracks in it when I did the plugs and leads and they said it needs to be done sooner rather than later so it is staying there to get it all done, they said it should be about $1400 give or take a bit in the end all done,, I think I might get another coil and keep it as a spare just incase the other one decodes to not work one day.
Thank you all for your input and I think I will get to ordering the caps for the computer before that becomes an issue one day. I will again update this thread when we have the car back next week and share the final amount, Thanks again,,
Old 04-30-13, 02:36 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

glad it was a easy fix.
Old 04-30-13, 07:15 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

there is no reason to buy the ECU caps in advance, wait until you are ready to fix it and order fresh ones!

and definitely fix than timing belt now, cracks are a very bad thing on that belt, that would scare me, even with a non-interference engine, losing valve sync at high speed = not good
Old 04-30-13, 07:52 AM
squirralie
Driver School Candidate

We are very glad it was a simple fix and only because of that we can afford to do the timing belt now, they will have the car till next monday before they can start on it but thats fine, they are so busy but got stuck in to a diagnosis straight away so they could get parts ordered but as it turned out a coil pack locally was bought just to see if it was the issue and it solved the problem,, I didn't like the look of the timing belt with cracks as small as they were because I know its only the start to a much bigger problem, I have had a timing belt or chain go once before and bent most of the valves on what ever car it was so I wasn't going to mess around with this one, I am also glad now that I didn't have a coil pack here because I would have got it running and thought we will do the timing belt a bit later but will be so much happier knowing its done now,,,
Old 04-30-13, 01:22 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

yes, it sounded like something electrical

PS - the ECU fix only costs a few bucks, not $3000 - the $3000 figure is what the dealer charges to replace your ECU, they don't fix ECU's at the dealership.

by the way, for $1400, that timing belt job should include a new water pump, tensioner, tensioner bearing, idler bearing, cam seals and crank seal - otherwise I would be negotiating harder, don't let them cheap out on you, it's already a really rich job for them! - I would also have new caps and rotors and thermostat installed while they are in there if they have not been done recently, and that 20 year old fan clutch wouldn't be a bad idea either, especially if it gets hot in the summer where you live!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 04-30-13 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-30-13, 05:49 PM
squirralie
Driver School Candidate

thanks LScowboyLS I will talk to them but I am sure they will add most of that to the price, they don't seem to buy kits just individual parts, I wish I knew this was coming up because the complete kit is a lot cheaper on the net, I already have the cap and rotor so they will put them on at the same time, I got them in the plug and lead kit, unreal how much money can be saved on the net with quality brands because they are from another country, we get ripped off here in Australia with prices,,, $115 for the aftermarket coil pack and could have got it for $60,, plugs and leads $550 here and $200 on the net,, not sure about the timing belt kit here but only about 200 on the net with water pump