LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

how to fix speedometer and rpm gauges

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-13, 06:06 PM
joshbaesl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to fix speedometer and rpm gauges

91, speedometer is off by 10 or 15 and rpm does not go higher than 2 sometimes does not move at all. need an easy fix if anybody knows any.

also i am looking for driver seat and rack and pinion. please help
Old 04-30-13, 08:37 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

this may help with the gauges:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-not-work.html

Car-part.com for used parts.
Old 05-01-13, 09:16 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This past week I've been dealing with this myself, there seem to be 3 issues that could be the cause.
1. Sticky needles, the lube on the needle stop causing enough tension that the needles cannot function.
Solution is to completely disassemble the cluster and clean the needle stop.

2. Speed sensor as noted in the thread linked above

3. The speedo or tach subassembly is malfunctioning. There is something wrong with the circuit boards that command the speedo and tach that is not working. No known fix yet. Then again, going through many pages of many threads, I don't think this has been addressed or even identified.

The reason I believe #3 is a real problem is because I have a cluster that works fine except the fuel gauge does not function and the brake wear indicator is always on (cluster1, came with car.) and I have a cluster that seemed to work fine (cluster2, came from JY)

I thought that the fuel problem was related to my sender or the wiring to the sender, ditto the brake wear sensors as I had cut them and soldered them together awhile back. Perhaps I kinked a wire or knicked something when I had the interior out, who knows. Anyway, I identified cluster2 while I was testing a couple of clusters I have on hand and it had close to the correct mileage and functioned perfectly, including the gas guage which is what I desperately wanted to work.

I installed cluster2 in my car and everything was fine for about 2 days. Then the speedo and tach dropped while driving and stayed that way. Fuel still functioned as did temp and other indicators. Intermittenly the speedo and tach would work but soon would quit in the middle of driving or not work at all.

I pulled cluster2, soldered in new caps despite the fuel guage working and the lights illuminating and not flickering. I cleaned the needle stop and the part of the needle it contacted. Issues with speedo and tach lighting up but not working persisted.

Finally I took the speedo and tach from cluster1, known to be good and working, and installed them in cluster2. Now the speedo and tach function perfectly.

Last edited by DonCorleone; 05-01-13 at 09:21 AM.