LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Her name is Lola.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-13, 08:00 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

speaking of rims, are they in good shape? - whatcha want for em?
Old 05-19-13, 08:03 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

also, how much of all of the stuff that was removed to do the starter is still with the car?

by the way, read billydpowe's starter replacement thread with pics - the starter itself isn't normally bad, just the contacts on the end of it, so parts cost is minimal!

and regardless of what the oil and tranny fluid look like, change both of them as soon as it is running, trust me!
Old 05-19-13, 08:06 PM
BAZER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
speaking of rims, are they in good shape? - whatcha want for em?
haha, rims are cherry! bt i think 16s are too small for her.. i bet shipping these out of my island would be killer on the wallet! my home is NE of australia
Old 05-19-13, 08:16 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

first thing to do is get a vacuum cleaner and vacuum all leaves and also all of engine compartment if no bolts or parts are laying around loose
Old 05-19-13, 08:23 PM
BAZER
Driver School Candidate

first thing to do is get a vacuum cleaner and vacuum all leaves and also all of engine compartment if no bolts or parts are laying around loose
will do... might have to do it by hand since theres no power where its at.
Old 05-19-13, 08:29 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

well I think i would have it towed home first!

you don't want to work on it there, too big of a job and you need to get it out of the weather

by the way, it is critically important that if you tow this car that a roll-back truck is used (wheels off the ground) - if you tow a LS400/Celsior in Neutral (or any position) you will RUIN the transmission if the rear wheels are on the pavement!
Old 05-19-13, 08:44 PM
BAZER
Driver School Candidate

also, how much of all of the stuff that was removed to do the starter is still with the car?

by the way, read billydpowe's starter replacement thread with pics - the starter itself isn't normally bad, just the contacts on the end of it, so parts cost is minimal!

and regardless of what the oil and tranny fluid look like, change both of them as soon as it is running, trust me!
well, the pic is pretty much how i got it.. starter was replaced, lower intake bolted, then quit.. only missing a couple bolts really. i slapped a battery in and checked the harness, good. turned the key, only clicked.. i didnt want to remove the lower intake because they Permatex'd the intake back on, and for now, im just curious if the engine still at least cranks over guess i should take it off and inspect the starter job, and do the procedure correctly.. only drawback is that all parts have to be ordered in by my local shops since they do not carry anything for her.

and of course!! was just pointing out that she looked good when i first examined her

found that thread, among others that were a lifesaver! thanks
Old 05-19-13, 08:53 PM
BAZER
Driver School Candidate

well I think i would have it towed home first!

you don't want to work on it there, too big of a job and you need to get it out of the weather

by the way, it is critically important that if you tow this car that a roll-back truck is used (wheels off the ground) - if you tow a LS400/Celsior in Neutral (or any position) you will RUIN the transmission if the rear wheels are on the pavement!
i wish.. not enough room at my place as of now.. plan is to get it to run, then take it to the house to be fully serviced. besides, my ranch has plenty of room, and my pops keeps all his tools there for me to use

yupp, the dude that towed her told me the same thing.. and now yall are going to
decided to chance it, since the deal was done and the driver was already there.. lets hope i dont have to find a std conversion for her
Old 05-19-13, 09:55 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

try engine starting fluid and also siphon out all the old gas and replace with new

also check all fuses, relays, etc and ESPECIALLY battery terminals, connections, grounds and battery itself!
Old 05-19-13, 10:07 PM
BAZER
Driver School Candidate

try engine starting fluid and also siphon out all the old gas and replace with new

also check all fuses, relays, etc and ESPECIALLY battery terminals, connections, grounds and battery itself!
thinking of pulling the whole gastank first since the entry point is all rusted.. might have killed the pump too. yupp, gna go through the electrical bizz when i sell my nissan hardbody tomorrow.. checked on some threads and noticed most people mentioned checking all grounds and contacts.. going to be a busy, hott day tomorrow

on another note, i have a friend thats coming back frm Japan in a bit, and he found me some coilover sets.. JIC magic, Buddy club, and others, bt used... are they worth the $850 price tag or should i just invest in new units? can these be rebuilt in the states with minimal cost??
Old 05-19-13, 10:20 PM
JustADream
Driver School Candidate

I love when you tell this group that you are taking their "luxury" vehicle and gutting it with the intent of beating the crap out of it.....the amount of butthurt they express. So priceless.
Old 05-19-13, 10:40 PM
BAZER
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JustADream
I love when you tell this group that you are taking their "luxury" vehicle and gutting it with the intent of beating the crap out of it.....the amount of butthurt they express. So priceless.
haha, tell me about it! if this car was in better condition, i'd probably give it to my folks to use for a daily.. i wouldnt say im going to beat the crap out of her.. more like rough sex
sure shes a luxury model, bt sometimes, girls just wanna have fun
Old 05-19-13, 11:11 PM
JustADream
Driver School Candidate

i'm gutting mine as well. These cars can be had so cheaply now so who cares. Hoping to be done with mine by the end of june. good luck and screw the nay'sayers.
Old 05-19-13, 11:19 PM
BAZER
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JustADream
i'm gutting mine as well. These cars can be had so cheaply now so who cares. Hoping to be done with mine by the end of june. good luck and screw the nay'sayers.
theyre not too bad on pricing here.. most people just see the lexus symbol n try to sell that
i feel lucky i bought mine for that cheap. and good luck to you too!
Old 05-20-13, 02:21 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Seeing that intake apart makes me want to suggest a compression test. How long was it sitting? I'm worried about the cylinder walls being dry and having condensation on them. Might want to squirt some oil in the cylinders before tryin to start it.

Quick Reply: Her name is Lola.