LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 took a crap on me tonight

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-13, 05:15 PM
daveskates
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll definitely be able to hit up a junkyard later this week a buddy of mine told me there were plenty of LS400's there, my question is to be able to even get to the wire where it was cut what all do I have to take off to get to it? of course I'd like to do it the easiest way possible but whatever needs to be done I'm willing to do to get the car running again. Is there a connector that these wires go to that I can easily just disconnect and find a new connector with wire? or how does the wire run under all of that stuff ?

Old 07-28-13, 05:58 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by daveskates
I'll definitely be able to hit up a junkyard later this week a buddy of mine told me there were plenty of LS400's there, my question is to be able to even get to the wire where it was cut what all do I have to take off to get to it? of course I'd like to do it the easiest way possible but whatever needs to be done I'm willing to do to get the car running again. Is there a connector that these wires go to that I can easily just disconnect and find a new connector with wire? or how does the wire run under all of that stuff ?

I an not near my car to figure out which wire and connector that is, so perhaps if you could take additional pics (focused, but not quite so close up of the red wire) there is probably another wire with that one if it is a cam sensor etc. - the wire is the correct color to be the driver's side cam sensor. (one of the two wires should be red and the other should be green)

keep in mind that Lexus uses the same connectors in multiple places on the car, and many other Toyota models share connectors with Lexus, so as long as it is the same mechanical fit, you can harvest it from an easier spot on the junk car, and have options.

and yes, bring tools to your pull-a -part junkyard, you may have to remove a timelt belt cover of other stuff to retrieve the connector

also, this diagram will be VERY helpful! - especially page 74
Old 07-28-13, 06:09 PM
daveskates
Rookie

cool it almost feels like there's a rubber piece under it where the wires are leading too i can't tell if there's a connector behind it or not though
Old 07-28-13, 06:54 PM
daveskates
Rookie

I definitely don't want to start taking things apart and get stuck if there's an easier route
Old 07-30-13, 09:35 AM
daveskates
Rookie

does anyone have a picture diagram or know what i absoultely need to take off to get to that wire ?
Old 08-01-13, 05:20 PM
daveskates
Rookie

got very lucky and found the last 90' LS400 in the junkyard, not sure if it matters throughout the years or not but i was able to snag both connectors and more than enough wire to soldier them back together, now just need to know the best way to get to the wire on the left side
Old 08-01-13, 06:03 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

yay, good job! - sounds like you are kickin butt on this!
Old 08-01-13, 06:34 PM
daveskates
Rookie

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
yay, good job! - sounds like you are kickin butt on this!
thanks although my main issue is figuring out what is the least amount of things i need to take apart to get to the wire without having to pull the timing belt, any suggestions? i know that coil pack is there so i can remove that as well as the upper radiator hose but there's still not much room to reach that wire -__-
Old 08-01-13, 07:49 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

not sure - haven't done a timing belt in over a year and this old hombre has a bad memory!
Old 08-02-13, 08:18 PM
daveskates
Rookie

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
not sure - haven't done a timing belt in over a year and this old hombre has a bad memory!
ah no problem, well if i am lucky i may not have to take the belt off, it'd be easier of course but i might be able to wing-it, took the coil pack off, a few wires, took a few connectors off, removed the radiator hose as well as the serpentine belt i can get to the wire slightly better i hope it's enough room to soldier on new wire we'll see
Old 08-14-13, 02:33 PM
daveskates
Rookie

Made a bit more progress today, the reason it's taking so long is i work stupid long hours so when I get home i have like 10-20 mins before it gets dark. Anyway I was able to remove the crank angle sensor, took it out and put new wire on it, got it back in. Made sure everything was connected, also ziptied it to a few things to prevent the wire from ever getting stuck in the timing belt again. Now I went to start it, and it cranks and cranks and feels like it ALMOST wants to turn over but doesn't, did I miss something? Does the ecu need to be reset or anything? im stumped I didn't disconnect too many things so I don't think anything is loose

any help would be much appreciated