LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I need to find vss wire for double din Navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-13, 02:29 AM
bass911
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the power wire feed into the trunk with the hanger

I don't know where I'm mounting the gps antenna, but it will be in the back window somewhere?

Temporary spot for now

Speakers are next

Backup camera should be done by the end of the week.
Old 08-07-13, 02:39 AM
bass911
Driver

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
now would be a great time to pull the ECU, which takes about 1 minute with all of that stuff out of the way, and check for failing ECU capacitors, a very common issue on LS400, especially on a 97 - it is not whether the capacitors will go out, but when!

post clear pics of the boards and Yamae and I will check it out for ya!

if you decide to do this, make sure negative battery cable is disconnected and wear all cotton clothes and bare-feet when opening and photographing inside of ECU
Are you talking about the engine ecu? I'm scared to touch it! My A/C was blowing weak and I just got it recharged. I checked the filter while the glove box was out and it was extremely dirty. I vacuumed it with an attachment piece until it looked like new. My A/C is blowing real strong now.
Old 08-08-13, 01:49 PM
rick1987
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

great pics man!

cant wait to see the rest.
Old 08-11-13, 03:36 AM
bass911
Driver

I guess I'll have to start an audio install thread? I've read about bypassing the amp, but I don't really see any visuals. There is no need to remove the passenger seat to bypass the amp. Move the seat all the way forward, remove square tab covers, remove 2 screws, and then pull vent cover off with your hand.

All speaker wires are on the green plug

My hard wire technique

Old 08-11-13, 03:57 AM
bass911
Driver

This is 4 runs of 12 gauge speaker wire which is too big, but I had 100ft laying around.

All wire was ran under the carpet with a clothes hanger.

Finished. You just neatly tuck and hide wires under the carpet. Then replace cover. I also taped up the green plug with electrical tape.

Use the technologically advanced clothes hanger to run speaker wire into the trunk

Last edited by bass911; 08-11-13 at 04:01 AM.
Old 08-11-13, 04:15 AM
bass911
Driver

All door speakers will be installed by the end of the day

I've been using the same blade for this whole install. It is still very sharp and I have about 10 blades left. I got them from Harbor Freight. It is so sharp that there is no need for a dremel to make tweeter hole bigger. The 1" Jbl GTO tweeter would not fit. I made it bigger with the blade. It almost cuts through it like butter. This took about 5 minutes.

Test fitting and it is flush

Old 08-11-13, 08:48 AM
rick1987
Pole Position

bass911.

keep it coming!

someone should sticky this!

I will be doing this exact install in a few months. But I may go with 6.5" in the front.

Is there any downside to splicing into the speaker wire at the amp? I wanted to do that so I didnt need to run new wires to all doors.

I cant wait to see what you do for the bass!

Im trying to find something that will Hit pretty good and keep most of my trunk space.
Old 08-11-13, 10:21 AM
bass911
Driver

Originally Posted by rick1987
bass911.

keep it coming!

someone should sticky this!

I will be doing this exact install in a few months. But I may go with 6.5" in the front.

Is there any downside to splicing into the speaker wire at the amp? I wanted to do that so I didnt need to run new wires to all doors.

I cant wait to see what you do for the bass!

Im trying to find something that will Hit pretty good and keep most of my trunk space.
No downside. I was going to go through the boot in each door, but the way Lexus made the door makes it too hard. It can be done, but way more time consuming! It depends on what your idea of "hit pretty good" is? Some people think Sony Xplodes hit good. I am just putting 1 12" sealed in the trunk. I'm also trying to keep some trunk space. The best way to save space is get subs that perform in small enclosures and small amps like Alpine PDX. I'm running one big 5 channel amp which is a waste of space, but it was cheap. I'm not going for the best sound, just something better than stock.

Good luck with that 6.5. It can be done. I don't know why everyone says the speakers are 4 or 4.5 in the doors. The Jbl 5.25 fit perfect with no cutting. I don't know about the rear doors because I haven't pulled off the door panels yet? When you look at the factory speaker you can tell right away its bigger than 4.5 inches.

The Jbl looks bigger in the pics, but it is probably less than .25" bigger. The surrounds are almost the same size.

Old 08-11-13, 02:54 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Hit up amazon for a new Denso cabin filter for your AC. Don't vacuum the thing. They are cheap and makes a world of a difference.
Old 08-12-13, 08:38 AM
rick1987
Pole Position

maybe I will just go with a nice quality 5.25 set for the front.

I have an old school Zapco 4 channel for the doors. I cant wait to put it in.

My avalon I have a Boston G5 and it hits pretty good. But the box is huge.
Old 08-12-13, 07:18 PM
bass911
Driver

This install is going slower than expected because of the Texas heat. I'm about to go back outside and install the rest of the door speakers. It is night time and still 100 degrees. It will probably take 3 hours to do the other 3 door speakers.
The heat abused me all day long

Here is the drivers side front door

I used the gray factory wire on the Jbl and ran it through the hole where the blue plug use to be

No cutting necessary for 5.25

This is the blue plug that I removed to run speaker wire to crossover. There are better ways to do it, but this way is good enough for me.

Old 08-12-13, 07:28 PM
bass911
Driver

I used double sided extreme 3m tape to mount the crossover and tweeter. Wipe down metal with rubbing alcohol before using 3m tape.

Your window will not hit the crossover in this location

Old 08-13-13, 12:31 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rick1987

Look at Sundown Audio's SD-2 series subwoofers. They're built to perform like a full-sized subwoofer, in a smaller enclosure.

Bass911, I have a few questions:
  • How, and where, did you mount your amplifier?
  • How did you deal with the amp turn-on wire?
  • How did you power your head unit?

Last edited by Sc0pe; 08-13-13 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-13-13, 03:19 PM
bass911
Driver

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
Look at Sundown Audio's SD-2 series subwoofers. They're built to perform like a full-sized subwoofer, in a smaller enclosure.

The amp is not mounted yet. Its just laying in the trunk right now hooked to a second AGM battery. Keep watching the thread and I will show it mounted.
    It is hooked up to the remote wire on the back of the Jvc.
    I used a wiring diagram and hard wired everything. It is a lot easier than you'd think.
Keep watching!
Old 08-13-13, 03:24 PM
bass911
Driver

Originally Posted by Sc0pe

Repost

How, and where, did you mount your amplifier?

The amp is not mounted yet. Its just laying in the trunk right now hooked to a second AGM battery. Keep watching the thread and I will show it mounted.

How did you deal with the amp turn-on wire?

It is hooked up to the remote wire on the back of the Jvc.

How did you power your head unit?

I used a wiring diagram and hard wired everything. It is a lot easier than you'd think.

Quick Reply: I need to find vss wire for double din Navigation?