LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1UZ Engine Shutting off when temperature rises to half

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-14, 01:42 PM
mbonne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MattLS400
Just ordered an IACV - 22070-50010
Whats the cost of the bearings Cowboy ?
Have seen, read, the comments on your youtube posts?
Old 01-24-14, 06:14 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Finn
You could check the situation first with an infrared thermometer or similar. Measure at the thermostat housing counterpart ie. metal surface.
Thanks Finn... Yamae sent a link so i purchased that one....

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
83420-20040 (about $19 discounted from online Lexus or Toyota dealership)
Is this the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor ? If so, I changed this already...

Originally Posted by fixmiester
Put a scan tool on it that has live data feature; see if the rough idle ocurrs when the system goes from open loop to closed loop. Then you can look for the real cause.
Interesting, is this closed and open loop that you are referring to has to deal with the IACV ? As suggested by Yamae's post;

Originally Posted by Yamae
400rpm is too low. Why don't you simply remove the IACV from the throttle body and check the air passage located at the center part of it. The attached drawing might help you. I'm sure it is badly clogged and you need to clean it.

When the car is warmed up and the IACV is almost closed but still passing thorough some air for the idle, the clogged passage limits the amount of it. This must be your situation, I bet.

At the idle, the engine needs about 50g/sec of air but the clogged passage can't pass through that much. Yours must be passing only 35g/sec or so, according to the calculation.
I have purchased an IACV with part number 22070-50010 . Even though my IACV with part number 22070-50020 was serviced 2 months ago, my IACV cannot be opened to inspect the coil and bearings due to the sealed nature of this part. ( My faith lies in the fact that when it was serviced it was merely cleaned since it cannot be properly inspected....) However, the 22070-50010 which I purchased can be opened, inspected and bearings can be changed.. I sincerely trust that my issue is faulty bearings/ coil of my IACV...Sigh....Fingers crossed, waiting on shipment guys.
Old 01-24-14, 09:51 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

83420-20040 (about $19 discounted from online Lexus or Toyota dealership)
Is this the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor ? If so, I changed this already...
no, that is the sender for the temperature gauge on the cluster, so you know more accurately where the temp really is - when I say should be at 40%, that is assuming your cluster temp gauge is reading correctly!

besides, it's dirt cheap for piece of mind!
Old 01-24-14, 08:30 PM
mbonne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
400rpm is too low. Why don't you simply remove the IACV from the throttle body and check the air passage located at the center part of it. The attached drawing might help you. I'm sure it is badly clogged and you need to clean it.

When the car is warmed up and the IACV is almost closed but still passing thorough some air for the idle, the clogged passage limits the amount of it. This must be your situation, I bet.

At the idle, the engine needs about 50g/sec of air but the clogged passage can't pass through that much. Yours must be passing only 35g/sec or so, according to the calculation.
WAIT!

If the IACV stepper motor can open up the aperture enough for high idle airflow then it most certainly can open up enough to provide (the proper) low idle airflow. Think about what might cause the ECU to restrict the idle airflow below the "target" , 600 RPM?

Improper A/F mixture ratio...

Forced to make a choice, what might be the higher priority for the engine control ECU?

A. Proper/correct idle speed....600 RPM..

B. Proper/correct A/F mixture.

Since the catalyst can have long term damage with improper A/F mixture I vote for "B".

So the IACV must "throttle down" the engine intake airflow to maintain the correct A/F mixture.

The engine ECU "wants" to maintain the idle speed at 600 PM but that results in a too lean idle mixture.

Throttle plate is closed, so intake airflow level is strictly a function of IACV opening....

But here we are with, seemingly, not enough fuel getting to the engine to support 600 RPM.

Maybe not enough fuel from the injectors, pintle "STICTION", injector PWM dutycycle so low at idle that some of the injector(s) don't always open..

Can the ECU supply unique PWM drive for/to each individual injector?

Can the ECU even detect how well each individual injector is working, or not?
Old 01-24-14, 08:57 PM
mbonne
Driver School Candidate

At the "cold" video time stamp 1:05-7 we can see that the radiator cap
is NOT installed. If the coolant fluid cannot be pressurized (~12-15
PSI ?) it might not have a adequate radiator heat transfer
coefficient, plus the engine will be operating below it's operational
design temperature.

Water boils at 212F (coolant F ?) sea level pressures, pressurizing
below sea level allows the engine and coolant to operate well above
212F, while that also results in improved radiator heat transfer.

Got it, FINALLY...

Initially puzzled as to why the PS pump only produces the "cavitating"
sound once you turn on the A/C.

But just as with the electric radiator cooling fans being turned on
automatically with the need to provide adequate airflow for cooling
the A/C condenser, the same is true for the hydraulically operated
fan. Open the PS fluid flows to the fan, the fluid level in the PS
reservoir drops, the pump starts ingesting AIR.

The air and fluid mixture simply cannot drive the fan, the air
(bubbles) compress, NOT the fluid....
Old 01-26-14, 06:23 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mbonne
WAIT!

If the IACV stepper motor can open up the aperture enough for high idle airflow then it most certainly can open up enough to provide (the proper) low idle airflow. Think about what might cause the ECU to restrict the idle airflow below the "target" , 600 RPM?

Improper A/F mixture ratio...

Forced to make a choice, what might be the higher priority for the engine control ECU?

A. Proper/correct idle speed....600 RPM..

B. Proper/correct A/F mixture.

Since the catalyst can have long term damage with improper A/F mixture I vote for "B".

So the IACV must "throttle down" the engine intake airflow to maintain the correct A/F mixture.

The engine ECU "wants" to maintain the idle speed at 600 PM but that results in a too lean idle mixture.

Throttle plate is closed, so intake airflow level is strictly a function of IACV opening....

But here we are with, seemingly, not enough fuel getting to the engine to support 600 RPM.

Maybe not enough fuel from the injectors, pintle "STICTION", injector PWM dutycycle so low at idle that some of the injector(s) don't always open..

Can the ECU supply unique PWM drive for/to each individual injector?

Can the ECU even detect how well each individual injector is working, or not?
Interesting....that is a lot to digest...So basically you are saying that My IACV is fine and my problem is my injectors ?

If you would kindly have a look at post #1,my injectors were previously dribbling and as such were changed to Re-manufactured OEM Injectors....Furthermore, if the problem were injectors, wouldn't the problem occur all the time, irregardless of when the temperature is cold or hot ?
Old 01-31-14, 08:02 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Members,
I have received my purchased IACV! Decided to unmount and inspect and clean as outlined in the tutorial some of you sent in prior posts....
Attached Thumbnails 1UZ Engine Shutting off when temperature rises to half-20140131_081141.jpg   1UZ Engine Shutting off when temperature rises to half-20140131_082154.jpg  
Old 01-31-14, 08:05 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

I do however, need confirmation as to how this Ring is to be placed.
1st Picture -- Facing Up
2 nd Picture 2 - Facing Downward
Attached Thumbnails 1UZ Engine Shutting off when temperature rises to half-20140131_081159.jpg   1UZ Engine Shutting off when temperature rises to half-20140131_081208.jpg  
Old 01-31-14, 10:53 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MattLS400
Interesting....that is a lot to digest...So basically you are saying that My IACV is fine and my problem is my injectors ?

If you would kindly have a look at post #1,my injectors were previously dribbling and as such were changed to Re-manufactured OEM Injectors....Furthermore, if the problem were injectors, wouldn't the problem occur all the time, irregardless of when the temperature is cold or hot ?
'96 LS400 is known to have a problem with IACV bearings - it does not have a problem with injectors - try to focus on members such as Yamae for advice on this car
Old 02-02-14, 09:47 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Default IACV Changed!

Members,
I have changed my 96 IACV to a cleaned/inspected 94 IACV..I must say I have seen an improvement in performance/ power of the engine !!

But....The Problem still persists "Hunt of the Idle at Half temperature and thereby shutting off"
....I honestly dont know what else to do...sigh
Old 02-02-14, 11:03 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I am still not convinced that you have a properly rebuilt ECU that uses the exact capacitors I specified in post #1 ordered from the links in that post to ensure using authorized source and prevent counterfeits - please post pics of ECU repaired this way.

If you have not done this, then you cannot say "I honestly dont know what else to do...sigh"
Old 02-02-14, 02:44 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

try to focus on members such as Yamae for advice on this car
elaborate on this cuz it sounds like ur saying he is the only one on this forum who knows anything which is a direct insult to those who preceded. its a wonder how this place survived so many years then huh?
Old 02-03-14, 12:22 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

yes, Yamae did bring a whole other level of knowledge to Club Lexus - never before have we had someone here that holds over 100 U.S. patents, kind of like having Einstein in your Physics club!

never before has Club Lexus had someone in Japan with very close ties to Toyota and Nippon Denso and who lives a short drive from the Tahara plant where your LS400 was built.

It was his insight that got my brain working and solved the last big frustrating problem with LS400, which was ECU failure! - just happy that he and I happened to stumble across this place just in time to help the 100,000 visitors to our famous ECU thread, which is now one of the most seen threads in Club Lexus history, and stunningly, all of this happened in only 1.5 years!

Life has been good to both Yamae and I, and saving people $2000 on an ECU replacement is our way of giving something back to folks who realize just how special this car is!
Old 02-03-14, 06:44 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

goes right along with this statement I got in a pm from you:

the point is, I have troubleshot and rebuilt, more LS400 ECU's than anyone on planet Earth

so therefore, unless you are a Nippon Denso ECU engineer, or a consultant to them with over 100 U.S. patents (like Yamae), neither you, nor any other member of CL including PD are qualified to question my ECU diagnosis!
Old 02-03-14, 08:44 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

Wow that's some real internet dislike from the both of you. Most times it's kind of entertaining and it seems like both you guys really know a lot about the cars, their problems as well as many other things. It's one thing to think your smarter and more knowledgeable than EVERYONE else on the forum ( which may be true ) but it's another thing to state that out loud in so many words! This forum has been a great resource for me ever since I joined as well as LOC and there have been some ppl including myself who have felt that they were right and someone else was totally wrong but never have I seen the type of comments displayed in such a condescending manner as those above. I might not like the way you guys state some things but I do believe the information is always reliable for the most part. End rant...

Quick Reply: 1UZ Engine Shutting off when temperature rises to half