LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

2004 redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-03 | 11:53 AM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

Well, as much info as you know about the LS, is about as much as I know, give or take a few details, but I wouldn't be posting anything more about that, that just gives autospies more accurate information, and I wouldn't want to break their streak of sharing innacurate information with the public..
Ed
Old 01-26-03 | 01:31 PM
gteach26
Rookie

Default Drink 300...

I agree that the autospies story was in poor taste. I usually enjoy their "articles" but they should use more tact in the future. I'm emailing them to tell them this also. It probrably won't make much difference but hey, what they did stunk. Even though they did not identify the writer, it doesn't take too much thought to connect the dots. I think they are stretching too far in order to create a story. Also, congrats on your successful career thus far, send some positive vibes my way so that I can continue to afford these expensive toys!
Old 01-26-03 | 04:41 PM
E55AMG
Rookie

I say Lexus of Manhattan private messages us what he knows. I for one would be grateful for that.

Originally posted by Lexus of Manhattan
Well, as much info as you know about the LS, is about as much as I know, give or take a few details, but I wouldn't be posting anything more about that, that just gives autospies more accurate information, and I wouldn't want to break their streak of sharing innacurate information with the public..
Ed
Old 01-27-03 | 12:13 AM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

Maybe later...a lil busy now...
Ed
Old 01-30-03 | 08:03 AM
shafee
Driver School Candidate

As a self made 21 year old millionaire, as you state you are, I hope that you also are driving some cars considerably more "fun" than the LS Lexus, like perhaps the Ferrari 360 or the Acura NSX or perhaps the Porsche 911 turbo?
Auto spies personal attack on you was uncalled for and your response to them was in good taste and justified.
Old 01-30-03 | 08:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

We all have our personal preferences in picking the car we drive. There's no question the Lexus is designed to cater more to people who values luxury and comfort over performance and handling. We don't all need to be "typical" for our age group, do we?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-30-03 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-30-03 | 10:50 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

Even performance and handling can be defined different based on where the vehicle is used. For example in the typical city, where speeds are restricted to 25, 35 or 40 and the only time your going to accelerate from 0 to 65 is the freeway on ramp, the LS430 has all the performance and handling necessary. For an open track race car driver accustomed to Porsche or Ferrari this might not be the case. In every day driving the LS430 is a perfect blend of performance and handling while providing me the luxury features I desire.

This reminds me of a quote told to me by a Microsoft executive. (said with a German accent) "I have just purchased a Ferrari Modena that can go 183 MPH, but I live in Medina (suburb of Seattle) where the speed limit is 10!". Of course this executive was also caught hunting wildlife from a convertible in Montana. So it all depends of where your performance or handling is needed. In his case the convertible needed the performance and handling, while the Ferrari Modena was at home being restricted.

Last edited by LS007; 01-30-03 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-30-03 | 08:50 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

I was in no way trying to brag about having money. I have learned that money is certainly not everything. I was simply trying to give myself a leg up when it came to credibilty of my statements.

I am not a foolish or vain person. That is why I chose an LS430. Just because you have money does not mean you have to throw it away on some three pointed star to impress others. To be honest, a lot of people are quite impressed with my LS. The S is a good car and has it's perks, but no one can deny that it has a terrible reliability record. To a sensible buyer, that means everything. No amount of prestige can make up for lack of quality.

As for driving a "fun" car, I thought about it. I test drove an M5 and an E55 AMG, and both cars were great. But when it comes down to it, I am where I am today because I think like a 55 year old. I am sensible, down to earth, and VERY conservative (go Bush!). Thus, the LS is in a class by itself.

drink300
Old 01-30-03 | 11:40 PM
oac3
Rookie

Default drink

You are a young man well ahead of many of your peers. Good, sound, fundamental thinking. I am not surprised you are this successful so young. Keep it up, young man... I wish I was this smart at your age, I'll have been far more successful than I am right now. But that is another story....

I could care less about the 3-pointed star myself. So what ? I don't have the time to brag to my neighbors or colleagues, or friends. If you have to brag about who you are to boost your ego then I suggest you see a shrink, or something. Granted, LS's ain't cheap either, but I bought an LS to pamper myself, not as a drag racing car, or tire-burning fire cracker on wheels. After working my butt off all these years, I came to an age I felt I needed to step up FOR ME, hence my purchase of an LS. I am already saving up for the '06 model year. I will pay cash for it if I have to. It's only 3 more years and I will be patient. Reliability and value far outweight the flash and dash of an S-class or a Bimmer M class. That's just me tho'

Mercedes ain't getting a darn cent from me, if I can help it. They build very good cars, but not as good as Lexus.
Old 02-03-03 | 12:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Cool

I want a panorama roof option in future LS
Old 02-05-03 | 06:34 PM
syswei
Pole Position

Default 2004 changes

Well, if we are going to start posting requests for the 2004 refresh:

- satellite radio option, especially because existing fm reception is relatively poor

- rear seat dvd entertainment system option

- better quality paint job (think Infiniti - thicker, more coats, richer/more lusterous look)...existing paint quality is no better than Toyota

these are in addition to the items I've seen speculated on already (the most important of which, imho, is AWD).

I am willing to bet that the 2004 body restyling will be minor, not "a total redesign" or "complete re-skinning" as autospies is predicting.
Old 02-05-03 | 09:02 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

better quality paint job (think Infiniti - thicker, more coats, richer/more lusterous look)...existing paint quality is no better than Toyota
You've got to be kidding !

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-05-03 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-06-03 | 07:37 AM
syswei
Pole Position

Default paint

I am not kidding. I really do think Infiniti's paint jobs look better. I remember years ago reading some car mag that described it as "mile deep"...after that I started paying attention, and they are right, imho. Any other opinions?
Old 02-06-03 | 07:50 AM
syswei
Pole Position

Default paint continued

Also, as far as comparing Lexus paint jobs to Toyota, my opinion that there is no difference between the two is based on owning a '92 Camry for 8 years and now 2 Lexuses, a '99 and '00.
Old 02-07-03 | 10:59 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Originally posted by shafee
As a self made 21 year old millionaire, as you state you are, I hope that you also are driving some cars considerably more "fun" than the LS Lexus, like perhaps the Ferrari 360 or the Acura NSX or perhaps the Porsche 911 turbo?
Auto spies personal attack on you was uncalled for and your response to them was in good taste and justified.
Actually, I hope our self-made millionaire here is currently driving a 1985 Toyota Single cab 4x4 giving the bird to all those idiots who pay $100+ for a depreciating asset with nothing in the bank.

Quick Reply: 2004 redesign?