LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Front Brakes, Shims and Hardware Kit Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-13, 12:16 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
I forgot that the 2LS has fixed calipers with opposing pistons. While the Sil-Glyde is a fine lube, I would want something with moly like the Molykote on the backs of the pads and shims as well as the edges of the pad backing plates. I would say Sil-Glyde would be OK and smearing some on the piston boots wouldn't hurt. Even though I warned against using Permatex or CRC brake lube, I've also seen this and it's silicone based(not PAO/ester based like their regular brake lube) and I would think this is fine, YMMV - http://www.permatex.com/component/vi...formula-detail

So yes, lube the shims and pad backing plates.
Sil glyde is great, my preferred grease/lube for anything that touches brake fluid in late model toyotas (such as rebuilding calipers).
Old 09-11-13, 01:26 PM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthach
Those disc screws are important to keep the rotor true to the hub. I'd check if the hub face is clean and apply anti-seize to the screws and it won't hurt to apply some to the hub face - especially if you live in a place where salt or de-icers are applied to the roads in winter.
There's been many threads about this subject, I created one last year actually. The screws assist while installing the caliper, not for anything else. Once you have the wheel on and impacting 5 lugs to 100ft lbs that is what holds that rotor to the hub. Not sure how two weak little Philips screws would do anything more.

Last edited by DK Audio; 09-12-13 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-11-13, 03:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Audio
There's been many threads about this subject, I created one last year actually. The screws assist while installing the caliper, not for anything else. Once you have the wheel on and impacting 5 lugs to 100ft lbs that is what holds that caliper to the hub. Not sure how two weak little Philips screws would do anything more.
they also assist the centerbore in keeping the disks properly centered about the hub.
All part of Lexus' quest to reduce NVH.
Old 09-11-13, 05:02 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Sil glyde is great, my preferred grease/lube for anything that touches brake fluid in late model toyotas (such as rebuilding calipers).
I ordered a tube of the red rubber grease Toyota specifies for rubber parts in brakes from the local dealer since my parent's Prius needs a quick brake check and I might as well pop out the slide pins and lube them. It wasn't too bad cost wise, $14 for a 3.5oz tube. I too had luck with Sil-Glyde(which is castor oil-based). I haven't tried pure silicone grease like Dow Corning 111(but Honda, Ford and GM call for that on their slide pins in most cases). I will say the green/purple Permatex, Bendix Cermalub and CRC brake lube is a no-no except for parts that won't touch rubber.