LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need help with my Timing Belt shopping list...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-13, 04:33 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by YoshiMan

Considering that the Denso ABS actuator in my LS says "built under license from Bosch" and that the original Toyota EFI systems from the late 70s and early 80s were also bosch systems, I would say that i trust their stuff.
Bosch is the inventor of ABS and the pioneer of fuel injection.
Old 09-06-13, 04:35 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peterls
So if anyone has a good source for Aisin TB kit, somewhere on the west coast or in California, and that is at right price and willing to ship today for, say, Monday, please share. Otherwise, I can only pray that this thing makes it here on Monday as it should (the Fedex site is already saying "estimated delivery - Wednesday or Thursday").
If you have a Carquest near you, they can order stuff from Worldpac for you. That's how I get my Denso and Aisin stuff.
Old 09-06-13, 04:55 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 93 Posts

Are the worldpac parts decently priced?
Old 09-06-13, 07:28 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

peterls - if you haven't done a timing belt on an LS400 before, or even if you have, I strongly recommend you watch this video first, in its entirety!

Nick Stageberg, an amateur, does his first timing belt, on an LS430 (pretty much identical procedure to LS400) and surprisingly, he does a damn good job, except for not using a torque wrench for reassembly, but still very impressive for a beginner!

If you do yours this well then you will have us all impressed!

Old 09-06-13, 07:34 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

if you PAID for 2day shipping (and it wasn't free) you can get a partial refund.
Old 09-07-13, 07:08 PM
peterls
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
if you PAID for 2day shipping (and it wasn't free) you can get a partial refund.
yes I paid for it but they don't seem to care...

I just checked the timeline on fedex tracking: I ordered the TB kit from them on Thursday morning. They called fedex to pick up at 7pm on Thursday evening. Fedex picked up on Friday at 3pm, by which time many things that I ordered on amazon, AFTER the TB kit, already arrived (!). Now, Saturday, my package is on the truck, coming from Arizona, which is not that far, so theoretically it could arrive on Monday, had it not been for the USPS deal where Fedex will deliver to them first...

BTW, the seller on Amazon is "Car Part Kings" and I am unimpressed. I am supposed to drive on Thursday, so if I get the package on Tuesday evening (fingers crossed) then I have only Wednesday to make sure I do it all perfectly well.
Old 09-07-13, 07:11 PM
peterls
Instructor

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
peterls - if you haven't done a timing belt on an LS400 before, or even if you have, I strongly recommend you watch this video first, in its entirety!

Nick Stageberg, an amateur, does his first timing belt, on an LS430 (pretty much identical procedure to LS400) and surprisingly, he does a damn good job, except for not using a torque wrench for reassembly, but still very impressive for a beginner!

If you do yours this well then you will have us all impressed!
Thank you for the video LScowboy! I will be following it like the scripture
Just hoping for some luck with removing that Crankshaft pulley bolt...
BTW, are the threads on it opposite, meaning it unscrews to the right?
Old 09-07-13, 07:16 PM
peterls
Instructor

Originally Posted by nthach
If you have a Carquest near you, they can order stuff from Worldpac for you. That's how I get my Denso and Aisin stuff.
Hey, thanks for suggestion! It made me check if I have carquest here, and actually do. (usualy I use o'reilly)
I just wish I saw your post earlier, now it is probably too late to order (Saturday evening).
Old 09-07-13, 08:22 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by peterls
Thank you for the video LScowboy! I will be following it like the scripture
Just hoping for some luck with removing that Crankshaft pulley bolt...
BTW, are the threads on it opposite, meaning it unscrews to the right?
no, older Honda/Acura transverse engine cars, Corvairs, and some tractor/boat/specialty engines are the only ones whose engines run backwards that I can think of off the top of my head

you need to borrow a portable compressor and use that 1/2" impact I recommended, other methods are rather squirrelly

especially the "starter bump" method, with our precarious starters

the 4 foot or longer breaker bar will work in a pinch

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 09-07-13 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-07-13, 09:23 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nthach
Bosch is the inventor of ABS and the pioneer of fuel injection.
Robert Bosch, a relative of mine, and his famous Stuttgart firm, was the inventor of diesel fuel injection, as well as O2 sensors and indeed a pioneer of many things including traction control, magneto ignition, spark plugs, windshield wipers and lots of other cool systems we depend on every day, but not even close to being the first with ABS, which was available from Ford, Chrysler, GM, Nissan, and Bendix by 1970-71, years before the first Bosch system.

and even though Bosch is definitely a pioneer in ignition systems as well as fuel injection, and has a lot of patents on those, ABS, and other areas that even Toyota must license, still doesn't mean their aftermarket division builds a cap and rotor that fits and performs in the league of Nippon Denso which was the designer and engineer and manufacturer of these systems on our LS400's, so I will be sticking with the OEM on these critical components!

or just get a '98 or newer LS400 and say goodbye to those pesky distributors, caps, plug wires and rotors!
Old 09-07-13, 09:35 PM
peterls
Instructor

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS

....or just get a '98 or newer LS400 and say goodbye to those pesky distributors, caps, plug wires and rotors!
he he, you read my mind...

I was just checking prices and found out that if one is patient, a newer LS can be found for not too much money. For instance, I just found a 2003 LS430 for $9000. And it was in perfect condition, except I had no money to buy it...
Old 09-09-13, 07:54 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ??? about terminology

This is a great thread for this procedure on an older LS400 but I am confused a bit...on my 98 is there a timing belt, a serpentine belt, and a drive belt or are these terms interchangeable for the same belt? Noob question, but on a recent stealership oil change they mentioned the serpentine belt "should" be replaced soon. Thanks. Hiroshi
Old 09-09-13, 08:24 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 314 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
This is a great thread for this procedure on an older LS400 but I am confused a bit...on my 98 is there a timing belt, a serpentine belt, and a drive belt or are these terms interchangeable for the same belt? Noob question, but on a recent stealership oil change they mentioned the serpentine belt "should" be replaced soon. Thanks. Hiroshi
The drive belt is another term for the serpentine belt. The serpentine belt is what runs on all the pulleys for A/C, PS, alt., fan, etc. I wouldn't take a chance with the serp belt, change it if it looks bad. You can still drive the car if it does snap (just to get home) as long as you remove the broken belt.

Last edited by deanshark; 09-09-13 at 08:35 AM. Reason: brain freeze
Old 09-09-13, 08:32 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are two belts:
1. Timing Belt
2. Serpentine Belt = Drive Belt = Accessory Belt, etc.

Dang! Caught again in the time warp :-)

Last edited by Gene01; 09-09-13 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-09-13, 10:33 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
The drive belt is another term for the serpentine belt. The serpentine belt is what runs on all the pulleys for A/C, PS, alt., fan, etc. I wouldn't take a chance with the serp belt, change it if it looks bad. You can still drive the car if it does snap (just to get home) as long as you remove the broken belt.
Originally Posted by Gene01
There are two belts:
1. Timing Belt
2. Serpentine Belt = Drive Belt = Accessory Belt, etc.
Thanks guys - that clears it up. So when doing the serpentine belt should I do the tensioner as well? I can get them both from Sewell for about $100.

Quick Reply: Need help with my Timing Belt shopping list...