LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

White smoke on start-up (video)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-13, 08:52 PM
icypool
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default White smoke on start-up (video)

Club Lexus -

So i have a 1998 lexus ls400 that has the follow issues. White smoke on start-up and some white smoke on acceleration. I live in arizona and it's normally about 100F outside. I took the following video mid day and I'm wondering what insight you could all give me. I just had the 90k service done with the timing belt and water pump.

Download the video in 1080P here: https://www.box.com/shared/static/rj...k9l1w259sm.mp4

Watch the video on youtube in 720P here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajqok...ature=youtu.be

Thanks for any help,

Kevin

Last edited by icypool; 09-08-13 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-08-13, 10:17 PM
Yamae

Received 888 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by icypool
Club Lexus -
So i have a 1998 lexus ls400 that has the follow issues. White smoke on start-up and some white smoke on acceleration. I live in arizona and it's normally about 100F outside. I took the following video mid day and I'm wondering what insight you could all give me. I just had the 90k service done with the timing belt and water pump.

Thanks for any help,
Kevin
Looks like the valve stem seal(s) is(are) leaking the oil to the cylinder(s) to me. But I think it's a bit too early to have the leak at 90K.

Have you been changing the engine oil regularly?

I have seen smoking cars under 60K many. Those cars are mostly owned by women who are not paying good attentions on their cars.
Old 09-08-13, 11:06 PM
icypool
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
Looks like the valve stem seal(s) is(are) leaking the oil to the cylinder(s) to me. But I think it's a bit too early to have the leak at 90K.

Have you been changing the engine oil regularly?

I have seen smoking cars under 60K many. Those cars are mostly owned by women who are not paying good attentions on their cars.
Doesn't the smoke look more white than blue? I thought blue meant valve stem seals? How much would this cost you think to replace or fix? and are there any issues with not fixing it?
Old 09-09-13, 12:43 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Doesn't the smoke look more white than blue? I thought blue meant valve stem seals? How much would this cost you think to replace or fix? and are there any issues with not fixing it?
Blue smoke means oil, PS fluid, or transmission fluid (all of those are basically oil) - and the smoke does look kind of blue in the video.

LS400 does not have an issue with leaking valve stem seals, and even it if did, that is something I would expect to see at over 250K miles, not 90K

So the valve stem seals theory is possible, but unlikely.

I think you have PS fluid getting into the intake via the vacuum system, or some other issue. It is rather mysterious with that liquid, (which you would not have with leaking valve stem seals) you need to capture some of the liquid and figure out what it is, by color, smell, consistency (is it oily?), even taste it! - if it tastes sweet - it is coolant, for example.
Old 09-09-13, 05:21 AM
Dutchy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it not just condence? After some revving, you can see the water come out.
Old 09-09-13, 08:06 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
even taste it! - if it tastes sweet - it is coolant, for example.
Oh yea, us "older" mechanics tell alot by taste. My kids used to scringe whenever I tasted some liquid on the ground from my car.
Old 09-10-13, 11:51 PM
Yamae

Regarding the valve stem seals, there are 32 seals and it's a time consuming job to change them all. Usually it costs $400 or more here. To my eyes, the video reminds me of old women's cars that were not changed oil regularly.

Incidentally, you were posting below the other day. I don't understand why you have different kinds of smoke next to next?

I have a 1998 Lexus LS 400 and when the car starts it has a bit of black smoke come from the exhaust. What does this mean? It happens randomly, there is no real pattern to it that I can notice. I live in arizona so cars are always out in 100F ++ weather.
Old 09-11-13, 12:02 AM
Yamae

even taste it! - if it tastes sweet - it is coolant, for example.
Yeah, my local mechanic once said to me, " Taste the LLC."
I tried and I found it as good as German wine of Spätlese better than Kabinet.

I told him my impression and he said, "Your car is OK. But your mouth is not OK without washing with plenty of water."
Old 09-11-13, 12:50 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yamae
To my eyes, the video reminds me of old women's cars that were not changed oil regularly.
Hey! - you can't say that on here! - we have laws about that!
Old 09-11-13, 01:49 AM
Yamae

Hey! - you can't say that on here! - we have laws about that!
Sorry to say that. But every time I see smoking cars, I find old ladies driving.

The other day, there came a woman who lost her husband 2 years ago. Her car was very noisy and I asked her, "When did you change the engine oil last time?"
She replied, "I don't know. Do I need to change it?"

Her husband had been doing almost every thing for her and the only 2 items she had been doing were to drive and to fill the gas.

I quickly checked the oil and found that it was darker than the black chocolate and the level was too low. I became in a mood to do something for her and changed the oil. The car became quieter but still rather noisy.

When she left, the car was smoking like the video.

I had a phone call from her soon. She said, " The can runs quieter and much better. Thank you for changing the oil."
Old 09-11-13, 01:55 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

a second change of oil and filter very soon would help clean up her engine further - will she start taking it to a shop to have it changed regularly now?
Old 09-11-13, 03:55 AM
Yamae

a second change of oil and filter very soon would help clean up her engine further - will she start taking it to a shop to have it changed regularly now?
Oh yes, I already have done more than you suggested. I've changed the brake flood, the LLC, brake pads and the cam cover gasket in addition to those oil and filter changes. I am now doing things what her late husband had been doing for her except the night life.

There is another a little old woman who is a good friend of my wife. She is a single not married yet. Her father has passed away a few years ago and she had a problem that no one was taking care of her car because it had been maintained by her father. Now I am doing the maintenance instead of him, just the maintenance, nothing more.

There is another old woman who's husband has been suffering from a cerebral infarction. I also am taking care of her car too.

All of them say to me, "How lucky we are knowing a man like you who can do almost everything from electronics to mechanical issues."

I actually fix their computers, TVs, stereos, furnitures and etc in addition to the car. One of my neighbors wondered visiting us while I was checking the visitor's car, "Why do you keep staying in the garage while we enjoy the tea time?"

How can I drink a cup of tea when I am in a hurry and also my hands are dirty with the oil and greases?

I would do more work if they were much younger.

What I can say is that women need a man who can help them to maintain their cars. Otherwise those cars end the life in a shorter time.
Old 09-12-13, 01:11 PM
icypool
Driver School Candidate

Blue smoke means oil, PS fluid, or transmission fluid (all of those are basically oil) - and the smoke does look kind of blue in the video.

LS400 does not have an issue with leaking valve stem seals, and even it if did, that is something I would expect to see at over 250K miles, not 90K

So the valve stem seals theory is possible, but unlikely.

I think you have PS fluid getting into the intake via the vacuum system, or some other issue. It is rather mysterious with that liquid, (which you would not have with leaking valve stem seals) you need to capture some of the liquid and figure out what it is, by color, smell, consistency (is it oily?), even taste it! - if it tastes sweet - it is coolant, for example.
I love you! I took my car to another Lexus dealership and told the tech about this. They had me talk to a tech that was there since 1989 and he told me this is a VERY common problem and the engines in these cars just don't go bad. He had to replace the pump and the hoses and I got no more smoke and ooooh! the handling is so much better.

Thank-you so much for saving me 4k+ on a engine rebuild.

PS. I thought it was coolant because it was below the low level but I learned when it's a 120F out it's going to look low but in the morning it's back at normal.

Last edited by icypool; 09-12-13 at 01:14 PM.