LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Timing belt water pump. Car backfiring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-13, 04:10 AM
cocainels4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt water pump. Car backfiring?

So last night I did my timing belt and water pump. We spend a good while making sure everything was timed up right. So no mistakes made there. So i got everything back together. Cranked the car. It made normal starting sounds then heard a loud backfire and it stalled out. Didn't run at all. What did i miss? I have a feeling i have the red (distributor) caps on wrong. The spark plug wires are all good. Any suggestions on what I could have missed??
Old 09-27-13, 04:27 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

It's possible the rotors are backwards. (180* off) It's been done before from past members. Although I dont know how that is b/c there's a tab on them to prevent that. I would go back and take the timing covers off and see if the timing marks all line up on the engine. (not the belt) It sounds like it might have jumped time. What year is your LS?
Does it start at all? If not, you could check the wires for the crankshaft sensor to see if they are crimped somehow. Just a thought. Did you pull the pin out of the tensioner? Well, you must have if the marks lined up on the belt.
Old 09-27-13, 04:56 AM
cocainels4
Driver School Candidate

yeah def i think i goof'd on the rotors. I double checked then triple checked the timing marks and yes i pulled the pin cuz me and my buddy were joking about it being like a gernade. The wires on the passenger side looked like they had been rubbing against something because they were exposed. So i taped them up nice and good. The car is a 1991. It just cranks then you hear it kinda misfiring then POP! and it shuts off. Ever since back to the future part 3 when they put liquor in the gas tank to start it. It sounds just like that minus the exploding fuel pump lol. best i can describe it
Old 09-27-13, 05:02 AM
Yamae

Received 890 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by cocainels4
We spend a good while making sure everything was timed up right. So no mistakes made there. So i got everything back together. Cranked the car. It made normal starting sounds then heard a loud backfire and it stalled out. Didn't run at all. What did i miss? I have a feeling i have the red (distributor) caps on wrong. The spark plug wires are all good. Any suggestions on what I could have missed??
I don't know my experience is related to your problem or not but once I had asked from a friend of mine who had a loud backfire problem. He was desperate and asked me a help.

To make a long story short, it was caused by his mistake. The spark plug cables were not connected properly. The cable from the distributor to the cylinder 1 and 4 were crossed.
Old 09-27-13, 05:07 AM
cocainels4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
I don't know my experience is related to your problem or not but once I had asked from a friend of mine who had a loud backfire problem. He was desperate and asked me a help.

To make a long story short, it was caused by his mistake. The spark plug cables were not connected properly. The cable from the distributor to the cylinder 1 and 4 were crossed.
im gonna double check that as well. Just to make sure. I found a better diagram online that will help. I was looking at a diagram and that thing was harder to follow than a chinese soap opra.
Old 09-27-13, 05:55 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

try this, it might help
Attached Files
File Type: doc
1993 Lexus LS 400.doc (29.0 KB, 164 views)
Old 09-27-13, 06:15 AM
cocainels4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
try this, it might help
Yep that def helps big time. Thank you so much.
Old 09-30-13, 04:43 AM
cocainels4
Driver School Candidate

I had the caps flipped around. I don't know how I made that mistake probably because I was getting tired. Should have stopped and came back refreshed to finish her up but she is running smooth now. No issues at all. Def happy first toyota/lexus for me and a major job conquered. thanks for the help fellas
Old 09-30-13, 05:32 AM
Yamae

Originally Posted by cocainels4
I had the caps flipped around. I don't know how I made that mistake probably because I was getting tired. Should have stopped and came back refreshed to finish her up but she is running smooth now. No issues at all. Def happy first toyota/lexus for me and a major job conquered. thanks for the help fellas
Congratulations on your success.
Incidentally, does "flip around" mean rotated in this case?
I understand English some but still quite limited. I'd be happy if you could explain it to me.
Old 09-30-13, 06:37 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

yes, he means 180 degrees rotated
Old 09-30-13, 06:40 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by deanshark
It's possible the rotors are backwards. (180* off) It's been done before from past members. Although I dont know how that is b/c there's a tab on them to prevent that
I don't quite understand how people do this either
Old 09-30-13, 07:04 AM
Yamae

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
yes, he means 180 degrees rotated
Thanks Cowboy, for the help.
My vocabulary is increasing after joining the Club. Today I added "flip around" and "dyslexic" to my vocabulary. I should have started it earlier.

It is just nice to help each other. A JDM Celsior owner Dutcy in Holland was once talking to me on the phone that Europeans were not as friendly as Americans. They don't help each other as Americans do.
Old 09-30-13, 11:49 AM
cocainels4
Driver School Candidate

I was running on no sleep and I thought i had it correct but i did not. It wasn't too bad to fix it. Yes i meant *180 rotated. Good thing about making mistakes you know what not to do next time. I usually mess around with fords. Got a cobra im building so the whole toyota/lexus thing im new too but not bad for first time and a big job on these.
Old 09-30-13, 03:26 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yamae
It is just nice to help each other. A JDM Celsior owner Dutcy in Holland was once talking to me on the phone that Europeans were not as friendly as Americans. They don't help each other as Americans do.
I don't think you can generalize about Americans, there are definitely some nice helpful people here who really go the extra mile to help others, however it is unfortunate that an even greater number of Americans are greedy and selfish and only look out for their own interests.
Old 10-14-13, 04:39 AM
cocainels4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I don't think you can generalize about Americans, there are definitely some nice helpful people here who really go the extra mile to help others, however it is unfortunate that an even greater number of Americans are greedy and selfish and only look out for their own interests.
hey have you ever had or heard of any issues with the timing belt jumping a tooth? When i did my timing belt. We turned the crank to make sure the timing marks lined up. The car started running rough and i checked the timing marks and the RH camshaft timing mark isn't lined up but the crank and LH crank shaft mark is. Any ideas what would cause that because I remember very dinstinctly that we turned the crank twice around and the marks all lined up.

Quick Reply: Timing belt water pump. Car backfiring?