LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 Rear Deck Subwoofer Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-14, 03:39 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's pretty much what I am doing. Square cuts on all the lines is key, but it seems a lot of people get leaks from the NPT end using Teflon tape. There is a right way and a wrong way to using Teflon tape.... The right way is by not using it at all and the wrong way is by using it!

A good thread sealant paste and atleast 8hours of cure time is key!
Old 03-29-14, 03:40 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

On a thread related note, my SPB12 is being assembled and should be shipped this next week!
Then I'll pull apart the deck and get it mounted and running!
Old 03-29-14, 04:01 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
That's pretty much what I am doing. Square cuts on all the lines is key, but it seems a lot of people get leaks from the NPT end using Teflon tape. There is a right way and a wrong way to using Teflon tape.... The right way is by not using it at all and the wrong way is by using it!

A good thread sealant paste and atleast 8hours of cure time is key!
Yep! I thought about using Teflon tape, but then during my little research session on nitrous, everyone basically said that Teflon tape could potentially break away and clog inlets, which is the last thing I want to happen. Any opinions on Teflon paste? Otherwise, I was just thinking of using Loctite 565 on pretty much all NPT fittings.

Also, yay on the sub! Looking forward to sound tests and more build photos.

Last edited by Sc0pe; 03-29-14 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-31-14, 10:56 AM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

timmyotool,
i got a 5 gal tank at 150 psi on my lexus with double bello bags on all 4 corners, its not enough volume/pressure.
to go from full down to full up the tank will drop 30 psi and the compressors will turn on and you will wont be at full height. the 3/8th line to the bags doenst help either. Lexus is pretty heavy so i either need to bump the tank pressure (i got dual 380s, 100% duty cycle at 200 psi), and a 5 gal tank.

At this time i do not have room for a bigger tank unles i do twin 3 gals and get rid of the compressor hardlines, or bump tank psi to 175.

however, i have been thru 5 different pressure switches from different suppliers and NONE of them work! my original works just fine...i am baffled...everythgin is wired correctly..
Old 03-31-14, 12:29 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

This is probably the wrong thread for this topic...

Is this a new problem or existing prob?
Why do you need to go from full down to full up? Why not just go from full down to ride-height, and then once the system has recovered to full up?

Why not just bump the whole system to 200psi if the tank will handle it?
Seems like the simplest solution.
Old 03-31-14, 01:21 PM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your ruight i just toaly hijacked this thread, sorry!

and i would if the 5 pressure switches i got worked! i really dont understand why they do not work.
Old 03-31-14, 02:16 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
your ruight i just toaly hijacked this thread, sorry!

and i would if the 5 pressure switches i got worked! i really dont understand why they do not work.
Are these Viair pressure switches, or something else? Also, to put things into perspective, you get a lot more "capacity" out of a 5 gallon at 200 psi vs. 150 psi. To put things into perspective, 5 gallons x 150 psi = 19 574.6216 joules. 5 gallons x 200 psi = 26 099.4955 joules, so there's a considerable jump. So a 5 gallon at 150 psi is comparable to a 4 gallon at 200 psi (20 879.5964 joules).
Old 03-31-14, 03:06 PM
LEXUSA400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a thread related note, my SPB12 is being assembled and should be shipped this next week!
Then I'll pull apart the deck and get it mounted and running!
When did you order your SBP12?

My SBP15 is almost 3 weeks late from when they said it would be done and shipped to me. I hope AE is not going belly up, I think PayPal only protects me for 45 days from the purchase date. They seem like great folks and this seems to happen to me most of the time I order a custom made item from a small specialized vendor.

How are you planning to mount yours?
I had planned to just mount it horizontally on the rear deck using a steel plate for a baffle but I'm worried about sag and exposure to the sun coming thru the back glass.
I think a wedge shaped vertical manifold below the rear deck will fit and work. It will take up more trunk space but I may be able to make it easily removable when need be. A 12" would fit even easier and not encroach into the trunk as much.
Old 03-31-14, 03:59 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

ordered Feb 27th, got a build update last week that it is on the assembly table with a photo of the driver that has my name on the ID sticker on the magnet. Hopefully it will ship this week.
Have you called to find out what your hold up was?
IIRC, when i ordered they said there was a large order of drivers in front of mine, which was being included with other similar drivers.

I'm planning to mount mine like stock, although I'm going to make a nice baffle with a raised collar that will have speaker fabric over top to hide the sub and give a slightly more factory look...

What are you going to power your SPB15 with?
I'm getting excited to her what the 12 with my MB RA1000.1 will sound like!
Old 03-31-14, 05:07 PM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
timmyotool,
i got a 5 gal tank at 150 psi on my lexus with double bello bags on all 4 corners, its not enough volume/pressure.
to go from full down to full up the tank will drop 30 psi and the compressors will turn on and you will wont be at full height. the 3/8th line to the bags doenst help either. Lexus is pretty heavy so i either need to bump the tank pressure (i got dual 380s, 100% duty cycle at 200 psi), and a 5 gal tank.

At this time i do not have room for a bigger tank unles i do twin 3 gals and get rid of the compressor hardlines, or bump tank psi to 175.

however, i have been thru 5 different pressure switches from different suppliers and NONE of them work! my original works just fine...i am baffled...everythgin is wired correctly..
just to answer,
yes i would bump your pressure switch to 200psi. i'm using a viair switch. i find it odd that the other switches don't work. are you running accuair elevel? some managements have programmable switches.

sorry for the off topic!
Old 04-01-14, 12:05 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

back to subs guys, create a new air suspension issues thread if you want
Old 04-01-14, 09:26 PM
LEXUSA400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ordered Feb 27th, got a build update last week that it is on the assembly table with a photo of the driver that has my name on the ID sticker on the magnet. Hopefully it will ship this week.
Have you called to find out what your hold up was?
IIRC, when i ordered they said there was a large order of drivers in front of mine, which was being included with other similar drivers.

I'm planning to mount mine like stock, although I'm going to make a nice baffle with a raised collar that will have speaker fabric over top to hide the sub and give a slightly more factory look...

What are you going to power your SPB15 with?
I'm getting excited to her what the 12 with my MB RA1000.1 will sound like!
I ordered mine Feb 11th and was given a 4 week lead time.
I emailed Jessica a few days after March 11th to get a status update and she sent me a picture of my woofer on the assembly table too.

I'm going to use two channels bridged of a SoundStream VGA 500.4. It won't really need 500watts so I'll have some head room.
Actually first I'm gonna see how it sounds on the factory Pioneer amplifier. I have an 8ohm Selenium 15PW3 Pro Audio woofer in there now running on the factory amp. The woofer is very efficient, ~97dB, but at 8ohms the amp is putting out only 25% of the power it is used to. Not sure what the SBP15 will sound like.
Old 04-01-14, 11:56 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, John kept telling me 300-350W was all these subs need. I went with the 1000.1 incase I want to add a second SBP12 down the road... Unlikely but who knows.

I was curious if you could answer an IB question for me. How free to flow does the sub need to be?

With my air setup (decided to run 2 seamless 4gal tanks along the bottom of the fuel tank at the floor) and amps (above the air tanks), I'd like to have a false wall protecting things but wasn't sure how that would work with the IB setup.
If I was to use acoustically invisible fabric, like the stuff you can hide a sub with, would that allow enough air through or would I need something more along the lines of a proper mesh?
Either way, my plan was to have large ports on either side of the false wall covered with such a fabric... I just wasn't sure how I should design it or how big the ports/vents need to be or the shape to reduce any possible port noise.
Old 04-02-14, 10:59 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Lexusa400, just got a email from UPS saying my sub has shipped! Hope you got yours as well!
Old 04-06-14, 06:20 PM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I took a look at my OEM sub that thing is way too ripped to bother with a glue gun. Most of the subs I find are above 40 watts RMS and/or the plentiful previous thread suggestions are no longer available. Anything out now that will work with the OEM amp?

Quick Reply: LS400 Rear Deck Subwoofer Mounting