LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I'm back! got a new Celsior!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-13, 02:23 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm back! got a new Celsior!

Hello! After selling my beloved 93 Celsior of which I had 4years of wonderful ownership! (got a new Focus partially for my wife, Great car!) I sold my 95 WRX Sti recently(once you go Lexus nice, you never go back, no extra speed could make up for its basic car interior) and I just bought a new 97 Celsior on Auction in Japan, its set to arrive end of next month! I'm looking forward to all the new features on the 3rd Gen cars, more power, bigger brakes, and critically another gear in the transmission (the 4 spd was a great tranny, just a super tall 1st gear)

This particular car has 112,000km and is stock mostly except for the air suspension controller and the giganto VIP 19" rims! Its got nearly new tires on the 19's with 265/30/19's in the rear. I still have the OZ 18" rims from my last car with 255 F and 265 R to go on it if when in person the 19's aren't quite my flavor. Its a C trim car and a UCF21, I can't tell if it has the Nakamichi stereo in it, but I'm hoping! Just have to figure out how to cut the speed limiter on the Cruise (106kph limited, I cut a jumper on the circuit board last time to fix it)

Can't wait to get it! its a shame it usually takes 6-7 weeks to get a car when I buy it from auction.

Last edited by Kingsoup; 10-15-13 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 02:34 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good!
Old 10-15-13, 05:03 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

wow not sure if the stereo is nak or not. we US folks can't even purchase japanese domestic cars in the first place so a little waiting won't be too bad .
Old 10-15-13, 07:13 PM
Yamae

Received 894 Likes on 675 Posts

I find many old Celsiors about to send to junkyards are now sent to foreign countries. I have to say, "Be careful for those." Most of them have hidden problems. I hope yours is not so.

I quickly found a problem seeing the photos above. The LLC is much below the lower limit. It must be leaking or the proper maintenance has not been done. The color is also unusual also the cap is not a genuine part.

You also need to understand some basic Japanese language to use and maintain the car.

In our country, the frequent stop and go type of driving is common and there happens traffic jams often. Many cars begin to fail under 100,000km and plastics and rubbers are not in good conditions. Also our summer heat and winter coldness stress the car.
Old 10-15-13, 07:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Congrats!

now, please sell me your front bumper (and radar cruise control)!!!!
Old 10-15-13, 08:40 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Good spot on the coolant reservoir Yamae.

Kingsoup, congrats on the incoming car. How is your Nihongo/Japanese language skills? I like the voice of the JDM navigation.

In our country, the frequent stop and go type of driving is common and there happens traffic jams often. Many cars begin to fail under 100,000km and plastics and rubbers are not in good conditions. Also our summer heat and winter coldness stress the car.
Father-in-law's Nissan Presea didn't last much beyond 60K for the first one, the second one was similar. His daily drives were probably less than 10km~5mile/day. The inspection and associated repair costs became a on those aging cars. The winters in Kyushu aren't like the northern prefectures so in that regard it was good for him.
Old 10-15-13, 08:53 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 92 Posts

Nice car man! It looks very sharp! You should make a video of some of the special JDM features.

I always wondered how long vehicles of different build quality's would hold up in Japanese traffic conditions. My old Escalade, which was pretty much toast at 138K here in the states, would probably last two weeks over there! Ha ha!. My 89' 4Runner just hit 280k and doesn't show any sign of ever giving up.
Old 10-15-13, 10:08 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It is difficult to tell from the pictures, but it also looks like the fluid level in the brake reservoir is quite low.
PureDrifter, it looks like a laser rather than a radar cruise control to me. I don't know the Celsior models, but the US market LS430 ('04 to '06 excluding very early '04s) had a plastic "shield" surrounding the Lexus logo in the middle of the grille for the radar models. The laser models had the "glass eye" in the lower passenger side bumper. Of course, Lexus did its best to confuse the issue by using the term "radar" in the dash display even for laser models.
Old 10-16-13, 01:10 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 92 Posts

Have you ever seen any Toyota Century's at those auctions? I always though those were slick, but i'm sure parts are horrendously difficult to source overseas
Old 10-16-13, 08:02 AM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice pick up, and you have what appears to be grey interior. Lucky!
Old 10-16-13, 09:31 AM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Hey thanks guys! I was wondering that that lower bumper piece was for! I've seen other cars on auction that had some visible lenses there, thats radar cruise control and I missed out on it!!! what a shame that would have been so great!

Timmy0Tool you know I'm just a whiner! its a real advantage to get the neat low Km JDM stuff in Canada! You know there were tons of top grade cars from 20,000km to 60,000km. Most of them come in White though, apparently its THE color to get for older folks in Japan, I just really wanted a black one, a fair bit less selection on these ones.

Yamae thanks for noticing those things! This will be my 7th car imported from Japan, mostly I've had pretty good luck on the auction sheet details being accurate. I've never had a good set of tires from Japan, they are often original or ancient, sometimes tie rods or etc. The Last Celsior I got was around the same kms and other then Tires and a minor PS rack leak, was no problems at all. Compared to the sports cars I've imported the Celsior was in fantastic shape. This car was still plated so I assume someone was still driving it around, although who knows how far away its next Shaken was, so hopefully maintanince was up to date!

RA40 my Japanese sucks! the last car I could barley even move around the Nav system, I knew how to get the Climate control working and radio, but thats about it! I think I discovered new things on that car for 2 years after owning it. -30c and your wifes feet are freezing? thats because an on screen button disables the passenger footwell airflow! oh dear! I'm hoping that I can change the programming for north America or just switch the entire nav unit for a north american unit, although pricey, we'll see if it ends up getting done! Last car I used an FM transmittor for Sirius to transmit to 88.5 as the radio frequency tuning is something like 78-89mhz!

Yoshiman I should totally do that! I think these newer cars come with very similar items to the north american one, the 93 I had though had a few things the Lexus didn't come with, maybe something cool on this one!

I didn't even know they came with Grey interiors, I didn't have a interior shot when I bought this car, I thought it was just Tan and Black! Also it doesn't have the wood rimmed steering wheel which I thought most cars came with! No Laser cruise control for me, Sad face!!

You know I had a look out of curiosity on the Century, lots for sale actually, 5.0 V12 in those eh? you could get a good condition 98 or so here in Canada about 5000$ lower kms etc, I wonder how hard those engines are to get parts for?

I can't believe they had laser cruise control back in 97! I didn't notice the Celsior bumper is different then the LS400 one!

*edit* I just had a look, and some of the 97-98 Celsior bumpers didn't have the space for the sensor at all, some of them you can clearly see a sensor in there, and then like mine, there is a plate there, hmmmm....

Last edited by Kingsoup; 10-16-13 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-16-13, 12:28 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

Kingsoup, which auctions do you buy from? Any tips for someone from Toronto?
Old 10-16-13, 01:20 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Hey Black_Ls, I'm from Ontario actually!

I use a company called Trendy information now to buy my cars from auction, they have tools like most export companies to browse USS auctions etc in Japan.

I recommend Derek from Pacific coast auto, hes a BC guy who lives in Japan, he does a ton of cars for AB and BC, great reputation. We use customs brokers in BC who handle the car release and there are a variety of shipping options to get your car from BC to Toronto. Auto transport or Rail transport. A lot of people who do importing hang out on a forum called Import Era, ask some Q's on that site for more help in the importing of cars. I also recommend Brave Auto in Japan, they do the best quality cars I've ever seen. Also Nikkyo is a big exporter and has lots of stock listing on their sites (a really nice 1994 Mitsubishi GTO I almost bought, dirty cheap!)

On more reading it looks like my car might have the Radar based cruise control, I'm so excited!! just need some more info on how the system works.
Old 10-16-13, 07:09 PM
EmpPenguin
Driver

Looks good, but would look much better with the driver's seat on the correct side of the car.
Old 10-16-13, 08:21 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EmpPenguin
Looks good, but would look much better with the driver's seat on the correct side of the car.
But it is on the right side of the car! *badum tss*

Any info on the wheels? They look like standard LS wheels with not-so-hidden lugs.

Quick Reply: I'm back! got a new Celsior!