LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Check engine light on cause vsc on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-13, 01:37 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SynicalVip
Wait I think it is the vvt sensor instead that I replaced lol, so yeah the camshaft sensor should be the one behind the timing cover, and the harness stick out through the cover with a rubber gromet on it
correct
Old 11-08-13, 01:42 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
correct
Replacing the camshaft sensor does that required rising coolant and everything or will I be able to take the timing belt cover off and replace? Think I may need to remove radiator hose tho I got to look at it again to make sure
Old 11-08-13, 02:55 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

does not involve coolant - follow the service manual instructions on all repairs!
Old 11-08-13, 06:26 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

does not involve coolant - follow the service manual instructions on all repairs!
I meant draining the coolant sorry, from that link you sent me it says to drain.

http://www.ls400.ru/lexus-89-2000/ileaf/lex98rm/98rmsour/1998/98ls400r/ig/cps/remo.pdf
Old 11-08-13, 07:19 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

you don't have to completely drain it - if it is recently changed, you can just drain out a gallon or so, just enough to remove the hose that is in the way. (I even catch it with a cheesecloth over a bucket if it is fresh and worth saving!)

that stuff is $25/gallon or more before it is mixed! (for the correct Toyota red that you had better be using!)

and test the resistance of the current cam sensor first - if it is in spec, as per the service manual, then you can skip this project!
Old 12-05-13, 09:21 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

So back on here again. I have changed out the camshaft sensor assembly the on on the timing cover driver side. Reset the code and drive fine for awhile and it appears back again follow by the vsc. And what just happen yesterday is my car starting to misfire, was driving then I saw the check engine light flashes like 2-3 times then back solid again. It misfire about two times and I can feel the car just shaking etc but after if drive then no more misfire. I'm waiting for my oil control valve to come in so I can swap it out. I have not got the chance to scan for the code again, waiting for the scanner gun to come in as well lol. As of now the car is just parked in garage I'm still trying to do/get all the little stuff repair that can easily do DIY on first before saying I'm one of the ecu caps victim lol. For the sensor and ocv I am going with oem Toyota
Old 12-05-13, 10:44 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

lol get the code, then we diagnose. did you check all the wiring to the cam sensor?
Old 12-05-13, 01:50 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
lol get the code, then we diagnose. did you check all the wiring to the cam sensor?
Yes I did, the old cam sensor was crimp and some wiring showing. Swap out to new one reset the code drove for a bit then light came back on. Then yesterday it just started misfire but not constant it goes back to normal idle/drive then a little down the road it misfire again
Old 12-06-13, 08:49 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Okay so I just got it scan and current codes are p1346 and p1349. What show store/pending to clear is p300,p301, p305,p307! Yup misfire in all 1,3,5 and 7 cylinders!! Got the chance and took a look today, damn new camshaft sensor rubbed on the serpentine belt and started cutting through but only through the bare wire one not the actual red and white. Now i think that bare wire is probably some kind of ground? Now since it only cut through the bare wire, can I twist it all together and solder it jointing them back together? Just spend 100 on that oem sensor . While taking the camshaft position sensor out I look/touch the timing belt and it got some play in it, loose and it suppose to be tight! So I figure it will be the timing belt all along, the more I drove it the looser it came and cause all codes/misfire. Should I go ahead and order a new timing belt kit again? The kit I bought is a little over a year since I put I got it install. And it is the aisin kit, yes I know previously I said the timing was right on and drove fine until the other night it just start misfiring
Old 12-07-13, 01:51 AM
Yamae

Received 894 Likes on 675 Posts

While taking the camshaft position sensor out I look/touch the timing belt and it got some play in it, loose and it suppose to be tight! So I figure it will be the timing belt all along, the more I drove it the looser it came and cause all codes/misfire. Should I go ahead and order a new timing belt kit again? The kit I bought is a little over a year since I put I got it install. And it is the aisin kit, yes I know previously I said the timing was right on and drove fine until the other night it just start misfiring
Sounds like the timing belt tensioner is not working properly. Did you replace it using a genuine or an OEM one and set it correctly when the timing belt was replaced?
Old 12-07-13, 05:35 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yamae
Sounds like the timing belt tensioner is not working properly. Did you replace it using a genuine or an OEM one and set it correctly when the timing belt was replaced?
Yamae I bought the aisin tk021 kit which come with the ntn tensioner. And I had a shop did it, since I do not trust myself doing timing belt etc. look like I will be ordering a new tensioner along with a new timing belt
Old 12-07-13, 06:02 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Yamae I bought the aisin tk021 kit which come with the ntn tensioner. And I had a shop did it, since I do not trust myself doing timing belt etc. look like I will be ordering a new tensioner along with a new timing belt
that is correct, Aisin kit TKT-021 comes with the genuine OEM NTN tensioner - so you shouldn't need yet another one, they can be reloaded with tension by hand, (you will need something akin a woman's bobby pin - take a look at a new one at the dealership for pin ideas) - but what it sounds like you really need is a mechanic who knows how to install a timing belt and tensioner, as per the service manual instructions (assuming this timing belt & tensioner were replaced in the last 100K)

It's kind of fun, because it seems like you are re-arming a hand grenade, and then later getting to pull the pin!

what year is your LS400 precisely?

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 12-07-13 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-07-13, 06:18 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

that is correct, Aisin kit TKT-021 comes with the genuine OEM NTN tensioner - so you shouldn't need yet another one, they can be reloaded with tension by hand, (you will need something akin a woman's bobby pin - take a look at a new one at the dealership for pin ideas) - but what it sounds like you really need is a mechanic who knows how to install a timing belt and tensioner, as per the service manual instructions (assuming this timing belt & tensioner were replaced in the last 100K)

It's kind of fun, because it seems like you are re-arming a hand grenade, and then later getting to pull the pin!

what year is your LS400 precisely?
I have a 98, and how would I know if the tensioner is bad? I mean I don't want to reload the one right now and then the same problem occur after awhile. As for a mechanic, it's hard to find one locally who know Toyota/Lexus. Also does anyone know the part number for the oil control valve filter? I guess it is located behind the ocv and can be replace when doing the timing belt etc. I want to replace both sides since it will be right there when doing timing belt over again. And for the camshaft position sensor on the timing cover driver side, that bare wire one I believe it's for grounding purpose can I just twist the bare wires together and solder it up jointing them back together as much as I can and re-use it? The serpentine belt only made through the bare wires not the actual red/white wire of the harness. That bare wires just wrap around both the red/white wire.
Old 12-07-13, 06:56 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Just got the oil control valve filter on order. Now I am browsing eBay looking for the tensioner and belt and damn the tax rate 7-9% for each item will bring the price up. I am debating if just add a couple dollars more and get the whole kit again, free shipping and it does not show it get tax 7-9%. What you guys think? Just go ahead and do the belt and tensioner or get the whole kit again? Anyone know where can get it best price?
Old 12-07-13, 07:53 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I really can't imagine that your current tensioner is bad, those are very high reliability, but someone installing it incorrectly is common - how many miles ago was the tensioner replaced?

Quick Reply: Check engine light on cause vsc on?