LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Check engine light on cause vsc on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-13, 07:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i'm thinking it may have been preloaded wrong.

doesn't matter as you're pulling it apart and redoing it unless you have a problem with reassembly
Old 12-26-13, 07:45 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
i'm thinking it may have been preloaded wrong.

doesn't matter as you're pulling it apart and redoing it unless you have a problem with reassembly
It's my first time doing all this so don't want it to go wrong lol. As of now I am just removing everything from belt to water pump, not reassemble everything back together yet.
Old 12-26-13, 07:50 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

As I read on the write up in the FAQ for 98-00 I have to set it at 50 degree angle correct? Which is at 50 degree right now, have not proceed pass that yet
Old 12-27-13, 01:04 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

The 50 degree crank angle technique is not mandatory, it is just good practice - when you rotate the engine an additional 50 degrees, you are in a much safer place as far as valves hitting pistons (sometimes a cam wants to lurch from valve-spring pressure when you remove the old belt, and 50 degrees further rotated after TDC is a place where there is minimal valve spring tension on the cams, and also some distance to the pistons if it were to "lurch")

Maybe this is why I have never needed to do the cam-tying that someone mentioned!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 12-27-13 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-27-13, 02:14 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
The 50 degree crank angle technique is not mandatory, it is just good practice - when you rotate the engine an additional 50 degrees, you are in a much safer place as far as valves hitting pistons (sometimes a cam wants to lurch from valve-spring pressure when you remove the old belt, and 50 degrees further rotated after TDC is a place where there is minimal valve spring tension on the cams, and also some distance to the pistons if it were to "lurch")

Maybe this is why I have never needed to do the cam-tying that someone mentioned!
it is pretty mandatory on a '98-00, which you wouldn't know as you've never done one so far as you've stated. The VVTi cam gears make it a bit different.
Old 12-27-13, 05:44 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Yes this is my first time actually doing this so of course I don't want anything to go wrong and would like to go with the best route! Well I think I am going to rotate it 2 revolutions again then set at tdc just to double check before actually loosening the tensioner and pulling off the belt. Wish I can get it done and over with but work been hectic this month and have not got time to finish it lol
Old 12-27-13, 09:00 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

after you double check, then position it at 50 degrees before pulling off the belt!!
Old 12-27-13, 09:13 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

after you double check, then position it at 50 degrees before pulling off the belt!!
Will do
Old 12-27-13, 01:22 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

please watch this video one more time as a refresher!

Old 12-28-13, 02:38 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

So double check it line up at tdc and check both cams marks etc, everything turn out to be good. After checking I turn it about 50 degree clockwise and began to loosen the tensioner. Got the tensioner loose and belt is finally off . I have already place order on new ntn tensioner and bando timing belt so those should be arriving sometime next week. I was inspecting the water pump etc and did not see any leak nor notice anything wrong with the waterpump and the idler etc. those are the only things I didn't place order on, hopefully they will last me quite some time til my next timing belt/water pump service. I can't remember, does the new bando belt come with marks?
Old 12-28-13, 03:43 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Bando, Mirsuboshi, (the two Toyota OEM's) and most every other timing belt made come with marks these days, they are really just a convenience, they don't have to be used at all, but they can be helpful - in the old days we just made our own - or sometimes we didn't!

The main thing is to ensure that the 3 sets of marks that count continue to line up on every 2nd crank revolution!
Old 12-28-13, 03:47 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Bando, Mirsuboshi, (the two Toyota OEM's) and most every other timing belt made come with marks these days, they are really just a convenience, they don't have to be used at all, but they can be helpful - in the old days we just made our own - or sometimes we didn't!

The main thing is to ensure that the 3 sets of marks that count continue to line up on every 2nd crank revolution!
Okay got it yeah well it being my first time it would be very helpful to have these marks lol. As of now it is still all position at 50 degree
Old 12-29-13, 10:20 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

When installing the new belt, I will have to line up the right/left cam mark on belt to the marking on the cams itself first correct? Since it is still at 50 degree, so I would match up the mark of the new belt with the marks at 50 degree then rotate about 2 revolution and then should line up at Tdc?
Old 12-30-13, 01:05 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

did you watch the video? - if so, watch it again - he shows this part pretty extensively

it's very important that you understand the theory when changing a timing belt, otherwise, engine go bye-bye
Old 12-30-13, 06:44 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

did you watch the video? - if so, watch it again - he shows this part pretty extensively

it's very important that you understand the theory when changing a timing belt, otherwise, engine go bye-bye
Yes I have watched the video :P the only thing is on the DIY wrote up in FAQ it didn't say to make marking after have turn to 50 degree so I didn't mark on the old belt to transfer to new one. From the write up it just line up the right/left cam mark on the belt to where the 50 degree was at. That's why I had to ask to make sure, I mean after putting the belt I will rotate manually and easily/slowly before even cranking it up the ignition

Quick Reply: Check engine light on cause vsc on?