LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Another 5spd swap!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-13, 11:14 AM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way I understand is models without TRAC, ABS controls all four wheels. Models with TRAC, ABS controls the front wheels while the TRAC controls the rear wheels. The piece you removed was the pump/accumulator for the TRAC. You still have the TRAC butterfly valve in the throttle body which is easy to remove, and a few relays, if you want it all out. If you look at your ABS module, there should be two pieces, one with lines running to the front brakes, and one with lines running to the rear. The one with lines running to the rear is a part of TRAC.

I have to say though if you want to change the characteristics of the car as drastically as changing to a manual transmission, might as well remove the ABS and TRAC. It's really not that much to remove and real simple to bypass with tee fittings. I've had to panic brake a few times, once in snow. It was real easy to keep the car under control. From what other people would have told me about cars, before I got this one, I would have never thought a big fat heavy car would feel so predictable without all kinds of driver assists.

Were you able to get the clutch pedal in without removing the dash board?
Old 11-29-13, 07:39 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info on the brakes. As far as the clutch pedal, I only removed the lower access panel where the trunk and gas door release is. Honestly I took my time with it and it wasn't too bad.
Old 12-06-13, 03:10 PM
nismo4life
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moar pictures. Mooooooooooooooooooooar.
Old 12-06-13, 06:08 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

I got my computer back up and running so I'll be posting up pictures all weekend as I install the new trans.
Old 12-08-13, 04:28 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Update:

Ok so I got my swap kit and everything is starting to move along. I also picked up a set of headers for the car so I'm installing those at the same time. I will tell you right now that removing the old manifolds is a big PITA! If I ever have to do this again I will most likely just pull the motor out.

My plan was to have the KA trans bolted in this weekend but those darn manifolds took way longer than expected. Hopefully the trans will go in sometime this week in my spare time.

I cut the old collectors off the headers and bought some ball/cup style ones so I dont have to worry about gaskets for them and I will have less clearance issues with the adapter plate.

I saw what nismo4life did with replacing the starter bolts with smaller ones and a nut on the back, but for now I just shaved mine down. I'll pray that the starter doesnt go out anytime soon....

My next step is to "knife" the starter gear and install the adapter plate and clutch/pressure plate. Then I'll install the headers before installing the new trans. I'm hoping by next weekend I will have the trans in and just be waiting on the driveshaft.
Attached Thumbnails Another 5spd swap!-collins.jpg   Another 5spd swap!-swap.jpg   Another 5spd swap!-swap1.jpg   Another 5spd swap!-swap2.jpg  
Old 12-08-13, 04:34 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a couple pictures of the back of the motor. You can see how little sapce there is on the driver side to remove the manifold. I dont recommend pulling them with the motor in the car. Your hands will hate you! lol. Oh, and I also got a new rear main seal, so I'll swap that out before I install flywheel.
Attached Thumbnails Another 5spd swap!-swap3.jpg   Another 5spd swap!-swap4.jpg   Another 5spd swap!-swap5.jpg   Another 5spd swap!-swap6.jpg  
Old 12-08-13, 05:31 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 12-08-13, 06:03 PM
AtlasLS400
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Me too.... im the only ls that comes out around here. Looking good mike. Great find on the headers.
Old 12-08-13, 07:13 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

I went ahead and took the shifter out tonight too. This was by FAR the easiest part of this swap! lmao
Attached Thumbnails Another 5spd swap!-shifter.jpg   Another 5spd swap!-shifter-2.jpg  
Old 12-08-13, 07:22 PM
Boxcuta
Rookie

Keep us updated!
Old 12-08-13, 07:23 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by usoff89
I went ahead and took the shifter out tonight too. This was by FAR the easiest part of this swap! lmao
lol, going F1 mode with the future paddle shifters
Old 12-08-13, 07:27 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Haha, no not for this LS.
Old 12-10-13, 04:18 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Update :

I got the collectors welded onto the headers today, and did a test fit. Everything looks like it will fit good and clear what I need it to. I'll be installing them for the last time tomorrow after I pick up a fresh set of manifold gaskets for them.

I also got the adapter plate, flywheel and clutch bolted on. I'm waiting on some plug pig tails for the speed sensor and neutral switch before I install the trans. They should be here Thursday or Friday. So hopefully with any luck I'll have the trans mounted this weekend.

After it's mounted the only things left will be the driveshaft and the clutch line. I also need to modify the shifter.

I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel!
Attached Thumbnails Another 5spd swap!-photo-1-1-.jpg   Another 5spd swap!-photo-1.jpg   Another 5spd swap!-photo-2.jpg   Another 5spd swap!-photo-3.jpg   Another 5spd swap!-photo-4.jpg  

Old 12-10-13, 05:27 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Haha, no not for this LS.
lol, reading all of these "performance"-related posts for the 1LS makes me want to buy one to use as a basis for building a race car haha. Definitely in for the near-finished product.

Last edited by Sc0pe; 12-10-13 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-11-13, 06:09 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
lol, reading all of these "performance"-related posts for the 1LS makes me want to buy one to use as a basis for building a race car haha. Definitely in for the near-finished product.
thats what i plan to do with mine..got it wide and low...eventually guna weld the diff and such

I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel!
ugh i hate you!!! this is so not fair..and you make it look so freaking easy

Quick Reply: Another 5spd swap!