LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Exhaust and headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-13, 03:03 AM
xmel012
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust and headers

Guys what headers can you advise for my ls 400 98 year?? want have good.nice and true exhaust
Old 10-28-13, 06:08 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You would probably need to have them custom made as there are no commercially available headers. Now for an exhaust, that can be anything you want. You can do a true straight pipe or have an x-pipe after the catalytic converter and then have that go to dual mufflers. Here is the somewhat official LS400 muffler thread.

Last edited by Sc0pe; 10-28-13 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-28-13, 06:22 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

I know that this is not what you want to hear, but I have learned the hard way on Toyotas/Lexus's - your exhaust manifold and catalytic converters are build with amazing engineering and performance and fit and finish - any mod you do to them, unless this is strictly a mod for racing on a closed track, will end up being a downgrade, not an upgrade. - especially when gas mileage and making the car sound like a cheap hot rod are taken into consideration. - It's like all you end up with is crappy fit, worse mileage, a lot of noisiness that isn't the good kind, and no significant increase in performance.

Besides, a lot of additional custom engine work would have to be done to derive any real advantage to an exhaust mod, and I doubt you are ready to install a supercharger, etc. - if you want a V8 to hop, I'd look into a Camaro, LS400 isn't really designed for that.

If you gave me the best aftermarket headers and catalytic converters for an LS400 for free, I'd give them back!

If you want a performance upgrade, do Yamae's ripple test and if you have significant ripple, replace your ECU capacitors for better low-end torque!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 10-28-13 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-28-13, 11:17 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by xmel012
Guys what headers can you advise for my ls 400 98 year?? want have good.nice and true exhaust
the UCF20/21 FAQ has a link to an exhaust thread with cat-back piping diameters. The general consensus is dual 2.25in. piping is the max size you want for the LS unless you are going with forced induction (nitrous/turbo/supercharger) or high end NA.

PPE Engineering (http://ppeengineering.com/) makes and sells some well designed 1uz headers and (though they don't list them on the site) have a jig set up for the '98-00 LS400.

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I know that this is not what you want to hear, but I have learned the hard way on Toyotas/Lexus's - your exhaust manifold and catalytic converters are build with amazing engineering and performance and fit and finish - any mod you do to them, unless this is strictly a mod for racing on a closed track, will end up being a downgrade, not an upgrade. - especially when gas mileage and making the car sound like a cheap hot rod are taken into consideration. - It's like all you end up with is crappy fit, worse mileage, a lot of noisiness that isn't the good kind, and no significant increase in performance.

Besides, a lot of additional custom engine work would have to be done to derive any real advantage to an exhaust mod, and I doubt you are ready to install a supercharger, etc. - if you want a V8 to hop, I'd look into a Camaro, LS400 isn't really designed for that.

If you gave me the best aftermarket headers and catalytic converters for an LS400 for free, I'd give them back!

If you want a performance upgrade, do Yamae's ripple test and if you have significant ripple, replace your ECU capacitors for better low-end torque!
You have learned this from what empirical testing? Did I miss the part where you actively participated in many threads where people actually modified their xUZ engines and got poorer than factory results? Did you do some modifications yourself to come to this conclusion? what tangible information are you basing this on?

The LS400 is designed to be a car. A car will be whatever a dedicated owner wants it to be. It will do whatever they want it to do.

If you really want to discuss pros/cons then PM me, this isn't the place.
Old 10-29-13, 07:55 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
You would probably need to have them custom made as there are no commercially available headers. Now for an exhaust, that can be anything you want. You can do a true straight pipe or have an x-pipe after the catalytic converter and then have that go to dual mufflers. Here is the somewhat official LS400 muffler thread.
Do your homework before you post. Between here, the GS, SC forums, it's known that PPE is the only real option.