LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Adding a sub to the factory sub? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 02:21 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Jlacck, if you want an unnaturally large amount of bass when the other speakers are at low volume then some sort of aftermarket solution with a separate amp and volume control - maybe what the installer recommended - is the only way you are going to get it.

The Nakamichi was a system for audiophiles and for accurately reproducing music to sound as much as possible like a live performance. You are looking for something else.
Old 11-11-13, 11:19 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 240benzo
it would be nice having more amps to an aftermarket sub in the stock spot! good info guys
Usually when running a subwoofer Infinite Baffle (no box) it's better to not be so insane on the power going to it, as you usually won't need too much to hit the mechanical limits of the subwoofer. IB is very efficient, yes, but it's also a matter of experimenting. That being said, you can throw more power at a subwoofer in the stock spot, as long as it isn't the stock subwoofer.
Old 11-12-13, 06:56 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
That being said, you can throw more power at a subwoofer in the stock spot, as long as it isn't the stock subwoofer.
thats basically what i was getting at...
i widened my stock sub hole and rewired a 10" 300w sub there..which sounds decent
so if i could get an extra 150w to it id be in BUSINESS without being obnoxious
Old 11-12-13, 11:14 AM
Jlacck
Driver

Originally Posted by Kansas
Jlacck, if you want an unnaturally large amount of bass when the other speakers are at low volume then some sort of aftermarket solution with a separate amp and volume control - maybe what the installer recommended - is the only way you are going to get it.

The Nakamichi was a system for audiophiles and for accurately reproducing music to sound as much as possible like a live performance. You are looking for something else.

The Nakamichi system is definitely a system that sounds very accurate and very good as you stated. This is the reason why I want to keep the stock unit. The only thing I feel its lacking is just a slight bit more "thump" for my tastes. That said, what I'm hoping to do instead is augment it without drastically changing the sound and balance of the system.

I wouldn't say that I'm looking for an unnaturally large amount of bass when the other speakers are low. But if that is what you are saying would be the unintended consequence then that certainly isn't what I'm after.

What I'm actually looking for is for the bass in the car to hit just a tad bit stronger or deeper. As it currently stands, in order for me to get the affect that I like out of the woofer, I have to turn the volume to about the 3/4th mark before the Half-way point (approximately 10 or 11 o clock on the head unit volume dial).

Sometimes I don't always want to hear things that loud, but I still may want to hear some of the extended lows at a softer volume. In its current configuration, obviously I can't turn up just the stock sub. Hence the idea was approached to just add a second sub with a volume level to control how much bass i want to add or subtract as I please.

My question was more or less to ask if anyone had done this is and what was the affect or result upon doing this experiment. But its looking more and more like no one has done this.
Old 11-12-13, 01:36 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlacck
The Nakamichi system is definitely a system that sounds very accurate and very good as you stated. This is the reason why I want to keep the stock unit. The only thing I feel its lacking is just a slight bit more "thump" for my tastes. That said, what I'm hoping to do instead is augment it without drastically changing the sound and balance of the system.

I wouldn't say that I'm looking for an unnaturally large amount of bass when the other speakers are low. But if that is what you are saying would be the unintended consequence then that certainly isn't what I'm after.

What I'm actually looking for is for the bass in the car to hit just a tad bit stronger or deeper. As it currently stands, in order for me to get the affect that I like out of the woofer, I have to turn the volume to about the 3/4th mark before the Half-way point (approximately 10 or 11 o clock on the head unit volume dial).

Sometimes I don't always want to hear things that loud, but I still may want to hear some of the extended lows at a softer volume. In its current configuration, obviously I can't turn up just the stock sub. Hence the idea was approached to just add a second sub with a volume level to control how much bass i want to add or subtract as I please.

My question was more or less to ask if anyone had done this is and what was the affect or result upon doing this experiment. But its looking more and more like no one has done this.
Okay, I understand EXACTLY what you want now. Based on the requirements you had in mind, replacing the stock subwoofer with an aftermarket 8" subwoofer seems to be the best course of action. Afterwards, you can decide whether or not you need to install a (small) amplifier. The stock subwoofer was a 2-Ohm unit, and you can take a run-of-the-mill Dual 4-Ohm subwoofer and wire it down to 2-Ohms.

Search around a bit and look for "LS400 Subwoofer Replacement", or something along the lines there. A few people have actually gone and replaced their OEM subwoofer with an aftermarket for reasons either similar to your's or their OEM woofer just died.

Here is a wonderful thread someone made over at CarAudio.com, covering a few of the go-to options for infinite baffle (no box/OEM replacement) applications. Keep in mind, you can also use a 10" subwoofer, but you will need to create an adapter of sorts. By using an 8", you get the easiest "drop in" upgrade and at $100 shipped, I would say the Image Dynamics ID8 V3 D4 is a pretty compelling choice. An alternative to the ID8 would be the Sundown Audio E8v3D4 at $95 shipped.

Last edited by Sc0pe; 11-12-13 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-12-13, 07:15 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

I removed the stock sub (for free flow from the trunk to the cabin), hooked up a Line Output Converter to the original subwoofer leads (this worked well:
Scosche SLC4 Scosche SLC4
), and then connected the RCA's to the new mono block amp that powers the sub. The bass **** on my Nakamichi head unit still works as intended as well.

Last edited by black_LS; 11-12-13 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-09-13, 04:28 PM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Guys,
Whats the power rating on my 1996 LS400 stock 8' subwoofer?
Old 12-10-13, 07:28 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

isnt it like 150w?