LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Worn Lower Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-13, 06:28 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I was quoted for parts: lower ball joints, sway bar links, sway bar bushings and outer tie rod ends at $700.00. I have someone lined up (Lexus trained and certified) who can do all this for $320 in labor. That sounds reasonable to me (the book is way higher). This does not include inner tire rods. Should those be changed as as well? Anything else?

I would really appreciate it if someone could address the issue of whether changing these parts out is going to create new noises or put more stress on other 'older' parts and/or accidentally create other problems. Any downside to doing this that you can think of?

I ask because sometimes when I have had work done then something else that worked fine prior to the repair no longer works the same or acts up. Just curious whether that could be the case with supsension related repairs.
Old 11-21-13, 09:47 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's way too much for parts unless they are from Lexus...
If you want to keep the price down, here is what to order if you can supply your own parts:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...f851ab2a241845
You should also look into a set of rear carrier bushings and strut rod bushings that can be found in EBay. For ~$100 inclusive. Short of RUCAs and a complete rebush to the suspension, you are effectively returning your car to new on the suspension front!

Labour price is not bad.

That is often a matter of it wasn't as noticeable before with the problem you fixed until it was fixed... And with the repair, the other problem got noticeably worse right away or a few thousand miles later. I don't know the specifics so really I shouldn't comment on it, as it could be anything.

Last edited by Shmee; 11-21-13 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-22-13, 08:24 AM
PlotPoint
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shmee
That's way too much for parts unless they are from Lexus...
If you want to keep the price down, here is what to order if you can supply your own parts:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...f851ab2a241845
You should also look into a set of rear carrier bushings and strut rod bushings that can be found in EBay. For ~$100 inclusive. Short of RUCAs and a complete rebush to the suspension, you are effectively returning your car to new on the suspension front!

Labour price is not bad.

That is often a matter of it wasn't as noticeable before with the problem you fixed until it was fixed... And with the repair, the other problem got noticeably worse right away or a few thousand miles later. I don't know the specifics so really I shouldn't comment on it, as it could be anything.
THANK YOU. After I got the quote I went to my usual place online and they are not selling some of the parts I need. I coulid not find everything on Sewell either (though they might have those parts if I call them up and ask...I don't know). So I'll look at rockauto. Yes, the quoted parts are from Lexus. I do not know if I can supply the parts. They probably would not be too keen on that, though I do know of another shop (also Lexus trained) that will let me do that.

So looks like I need to do a bit more research on pricing before giving the green light. I don't want to overpay, but also want to look at price difference in parts to see if it's worth it to come up with another plan.

Is the eBay price you mentioned for rear carrier bushigns and strut rod bushings for OEM? From everything I have read in this forum, it's always good to go with OEM.