LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS Almost Stalls When Coming to a Stop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 06:09 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

what was the condition of the oil in the transmission and the contents of the filter and the pan?

this problem can be caused by a gunked up valve body, did you see anything in the filter screen or in the bottom of the pan?

if the car was ever abused (i.e. street racing) that could have hurt the converter
Old 01-12-14, 06:28 PM
AtlasLS400
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by usoff89
If that ends up being your issue. I still have my old trans and convertor.
Yeah... hold on to that for me. Or.... might be time to do a 5 speed? Lol
Old 01-12-14, 06:40 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

W58 5 speed!
Old 01-13-14, 02:16 PM
AtlasLS400
Pole Position

Oil was pretty bad. But the filter and pan were in good shape. No metel shavings, no gunk in the pan. The filter had a little gunk in the screen but it wasnt horrible.
Old 01-13-14, 02:56 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

If it is a valve body blockage, a lot of drain & fills (like doing it every other month) can "unblock" the blockage over time, due to the cleansing effect of fresh fluid.
Old 01-14-14, 06:37 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Instant Shudder Fixx By Dr. Tranny (2 oz.) : Amazon.com : Automotive Instant Shudder Fixx By Dr. Tranny (2 oz.) : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 01-14-14, 09:07 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Never ever add any fluid to your Aisin A340E (30-40LE) transmission other than T-IV or other Mobil manufactured JWS 3309 fluid if you want the long life and reliability this transmission is known for. This kind of mystery additive silliness is could well be why it's having issues in the first place!

And this is not just the cowboy saying this, ask Aisin AW engineering, which has mentioned this to me on multiple occasions, and they should know better than some silly little additive company, or anyone else, for that matter, since they designed the most reliable transmission in the world, which is in your LS400!
Old 01-14-14, 12:30 PM
AtlasLS400
Pole Position

^^^ I was waiting for that response. Lol
Old 01-14-14, 01:23 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Cool

Yea cuz u know more about transmissions than lube gard who is held accountable for failures due to their product being introduced to the system. if he is in fact having a shuddering issue...ur not a transmission tech and u should do some research before u spout off. Just google "transmission shuddering" and see what u get,its all over bob is the oil guy which u seem to reference so much...and stop talkin in the 3rd person, ur creeping me out more than usual

Last edited by python; 01-14-14 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-14-14, 03:07 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

The point is that the re will be some repairs for the tranny when the symptoms besome pronounced after the other fixes have been applied. These fluids may mask it for a short spell and you'll be back in for a proper fix. The reviews for that additive have enough follow-up that it is short term. As these cars age and along with poor maintenance from the prior owner, this is what can be expected.
Old 01-14-14, 05:50 PM
python
Lexus Champion

long term use this
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-112/LUBE...uid+Protectant
Old 01-14-14, 06:43 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote 5spd! I think its one of those things everybody should try atleast once.
Old 01-14-14, 06:44 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I'm still in the camp that would not use this. Two areas that tell me, neglect where there is damage, poor design and manufacturing tolerances. Adding in a lubrication package that "fixes" the issue goes back to what was the cause factor to necessitate this. It may be used successfully and that's fine. If the tranny or TC is torn down and miked, I would put good odds they will find part/s that are out of spec.

A buddy who maintained the CNC machines that ground valves for Ford and Toyota relayed to me how much tolerances the machines and operators would spit them out at. The defect ratio for his co-workers was mind numbing. Those wider spec but still within "manufacturing tolerances" will wind up in cars to cause problems. Among my own machine shop days, precision gear assemblies was critical to adjust each for the machining tolerances. That cost $ and with the big auto makers, they have time to piece ratios for workers to satisfy. They aren't going hand fit each component. If a few overly wide spec parts made their way into the final, it would do two things. The excessive runout/vibration, would stress bearings, seals, make noise then lead to bearing failure. Not all will fail though most will as the tolerances continue to widen with use-time.

Aisin isn't perfect though they do have a good ratio of in-spec parts. We have enough samples here to show that well maintained LS's are capable of 300K+ on basic fluid drain intervals. Porsche had issues with RMS and IMS on their hands with various 911 and Boxsters. Manufacturing tolerances eventually showed up leading to those failures.

In relation to the LS, the proper fix can be wallet ripping. This is the least $ "fix" to apply. For those buying a used car that isn't valued this low, knowing that the owner applied some additive to the tranny, engine, steering or cooling system would bring red flags of maintenance issues to avoid it.
Old 01-15-14, 08:31 AM
python
Lexus Champion

i have sold many who have had tranny shuddering issues and it has fixed every single one. if ur looking to fix this problem without actually replacing the TC then this will do it. they have been around for many years and are still on the shelves..snake oil products that don't work are removed...example..duralube,slick 50,prolube,zmax..etc etc. anyways i really don't care if u use it or what anyone here thinks of it...i know it does work and have sold it retail and whole sale customers for years..even tranny shops who use it and as well as the friction modifers and other lube gard products
Old 01-15-14, 02:22 PM
AtlasLS400
Pole Position

I appreciate the imput. I'm sure that this product has helped people with some of these issues, I considered it, researched it, but I'm not going to use it. AND IM NOT DOING A 5 SPEED! lol. I'm dropping it off this weekend to have this thing diagnosed. I will definitely update the outcome. Again, I appreciate the input. (Except for the 5 speed swap)

Quick Reply: LS Almost Stalls When Coming to a Stop?