LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Life of a Fan Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-13, 11:16 AM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As it turns out, the problem is my radiator. The upper hose nipple got brittle and broke. This is a common problem with my bimmers also and what I'd like to get is a radiator with a metal nipple--which is probably not available. Any recommendations on radiator brands?
Old 12-18-13, 11:49 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

well OEM is best, but it is expensive - if money is tight, look at Ready-Rad from Advance Auto Parts stores, I put one in my 300 ZX and it was fine, just be sure to open any radiator at the store, and reject any example with bent fins on either side.

This bent fins issue is the reason I only buy radiators and condensers locally, and most everything else online.
Old 12-18-13, 12:11 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
well OEM is best, but it is expensive - if money is tight, look at Ready-Rad from Advance Auto Parts stores, I put one in my 300 ZX and it was fine, just be sure to open any radiator at the store, and reject any example with bent fins on either side.

This bent fins issue is the reason I only buy radiators and condensers locally, and most everything else online.
Hey LS---thanks again!

Noted on the fins. Makes sense to open and look as those can easily get banged around in transit. Just spoke to my local Advanced Auto and will pick up tomorrow for $ 153.00. As far as putting this in, it's just a matter of taking off the hoses and a few bolts right? I can't see this taking very long and hopefully I can have this car back on the road tomorrow.
Old 12-19-13, 10:03 AM
peterls
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

While at it I strongly suggest you do a coolant flush using Prestone which is some 2.75 at walmart... use the "dual purpose" flush which can be left in the cooling system for a few days, and then rinse the system with distilled water and then refill with Toyota red at 50/50.

I did that, and EVERYTHING improved: mpg, shifting, cooling of course... it was the best $2.75 I ever spent.
Old 12-19-13, 10:39 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peterls
While at it I strongly suggest you do a coolant flush using Prestone which is some 2.75 at walmart... use the "dual purpose" flush which can be left in the cooling system for a few days, and then rinse the system with distilled water and then refill with Toyota red at 50/50.

I did that, and EVERYTHING improved: mpg, shifting, cooling of course... it was the best $2.75 I ever spent.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm going to have Toyota do it though. They charge $ 99 buck for it including the coolant. If it were warmer, I'd do it myself.
Old 12-19-13, 10:52 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Got the radiator installed today. The amount of coolant spilled was deceptively little and looking at the reservoir, which was full, I thought the system was pretty full of coolant thus not needing any to be added or the system to be bled---an obvious mistake in retrospect. After testing for leaks and the temperature gauge at idle, I thought I was good to go. Hit the highway, and the car overheats and I'm in panic mode. I had to shut her down about 4-6 times while trying to inch my way back home---which I couldn't make it and wound up in a convenience store parking lot filling it with coolant and bleeding the system---and hoping like hell I didn't blow the head gasket (subsequent search here reveals the engine is pretty robust and HG failure is almost unheard of). Anyway, I was able to get the car back on the road with after filling with nearly 2 gallons of coolant. This is another whetstone for the wits. I probably lost a lot of coolant with the initial leak when the old radiator's upper hose neck broke.

Last edited by GKLCPA; 12-20-13 at 05:04 AM.
Old 12-20-13, 02:56 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

make sure the system is full at the FILL BOLT (the large downward pointing bolt behind the thermostat housing) - also make sure thermostat is correctly clocked with jiggler hole positioned at 12 o'clock (to allow air bubbles to escape)
Old 12-20-13, 05:02 AM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
make sure the system is full at the FILL BOLT (the large downward pointing bolt behind the thermostat housing) - also make sure thermostat is correctly clocked with jiggler hole positioned at 12 o'clock (to allow air bubbles to escape)
Yes, that's how I filled it. Fortunately I had my phone with me so I could do an internet search on the spot as to how to fill!