LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Recently acquired LS400 ~ some questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 06:52 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

engine off - hot and cold marks depend on whether engine is hot of cold - hot reading is a bit more accurate
Old 01-13-14, 07:34 PM
kevvo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default more

Well the car is with the dealer and the p/s leak is being attended to. Fingers crossed all goes well. I put over 100ml in the reservoir the other day. It's some leak, the cardboard I put under the car turned red in 4 or 5 places. (it's a little worrying ... that it appears to be more than one leak although they are in one general area) Hopefully there won't be any alternator issues at any time.

Had a bit of trouble with the steering reach. It stopped working but was okay at the dealers. When I pulled the lever towards me I heard a faint squeak then nothing, no movement, when I pushed the lever away I heard something like a motor turning for half a second, then nothing, no movement.

Today I did as a few here have suggested, push the lever 10 times. It works. I wonder if the tilt motor can be serviced before it fails. Maybe a bit of appropriate lubricant on the threads? Because now the wheel tilts and recedes all the way away from the seat when I remove the key.

Just today I noticed a couple of times moving off from standstill and giving the engine a good bit of juice. There's a bit of a noise from behind me somewhere, outside, a good chance under the car. Sounds ominous but without further checking I don't yet know what it could be. It does not make the noise when I feed in the juice when not stationary.

My workshop repair manuals are in the FedEx facility across town so they'll be here any day.

One more manual I want to get, the diff overhaul repair supplement. Are the LS400 diffs all the same from 1989 to 2000? I just want to be sure I get the right book.

Thanks again in advance.
Old 01-27-14, 08:41 PM
kevvo
Rookie

Default CD Magazine

I've just gotten hold of a CD magazine for the car. What's the idea behind the 2 stickers which I'm supposed to affix to the outside of the magazine?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-14, 09:55 AM
BeLSNow111
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
failing ECU capacitors can cause this, or a clogged filter - be very careful who does the filter change on your transmission as this involves pulling the pan and this job can be botched by the incompetent. - Use the genuine Toyota filter!
I am fairly new, while browsing ******* parts catalog for my VIN I am confused as to what part is which. My car is 1996 LEXUS LS400 (UCF20L-AEPGKA) USA 1UZFE 4FC. I was curious which part code is for the transmission filter, and since I am considering replacing the filter would you recommend replacing the gasket, bolt, etc?

yes! - that is the correct part number for 1990-97

for 1998-2000 LS400 the correct number is TOS 18748
I see you have listed the trans oil pan gasket part # in another post.

it is critical to use T-IV or other manufacturer approved JWS 3309 oil, they are all the same Mobil 3309 formula - for example, the ones below:

As far as transmission oil I was reading that Toyota Type T-IV had a different viscosity rating than Mobil 3309. Does Toyota's fluid have some additional additives that would make it 'better' than Mobil 3309 or other manufacture approved JWS 3309?

Last edited by BeLSNow111; 01-28-14 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-28-14, 10:02 AM
BeLSNow111
Rookie

Originally Posted by kevvo
I've just gotten hold of a CD magazine for the car. What's the idea behind the 2 stickers which I'm supposed to affix to the outside of the magazine?

Thanks in advance.
Which CD Magazine Part# is for the 1996 LS400? I found the part # for the '98 which is made by Pioneer but have not been able to accurately identify the part # for the '96.

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
yup, the CD changer Magazine is 86273-50050
Thanks to YoshiMan I was able to locate the correct part #

Last edited by BeLSNow111; 01-29-14 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-28-14, 08:54 PM
kevvo
Rookie

Default CD Stacker

I'm not sure MM/YYYY when Lexus changed the CD stacker, but if you need an early one, this is it.

Presuming you have an eBay account to view:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-LS400-...-/261381140300

I don't know the part number.

This is the later one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEXUS-RX...-/171228558072

On the earlier stacker you can only swing out one tray at a time. On the later one you push a release button and they'll all slide out at once if you want that.

Just to confirm the part number that you found for the 98 Lexus Stacker, on the Toyota box the stacker came in it's 86273-50050. Even though it's a Toyota box, the stacker has Lexus printed on it.

I'm positive that someone will be along with the part number you're after.
Old 01-28-14, 09:02 PM
kevvo
Rookie

Default Might find the part number here

BeLSNow111 , you MIGHT find the part number here:

www dot toyotadiy dot com
Old 01-29-14, 08:51 AM
BeLSNow111
Rookie

I looked there but was not able to locate it within the list provided. (I am not sure what section it would be under and how it would be titled but I searched for a good 40 minutes for the CD Changer and various other parts. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-07-14, 10:49 PM
kevvo
Rookie

Default Can't open boot with remote ~ brake pads

Hi all, got the key from the dealer and now I can lock and unlock the car remotely. I tested the alarm and that's fine however I can't open the boot when I push the button on the key. The LED on the key lights up when I push the button to open the boot though. Where should I start looking to see what the problem is?

I'm after recommendations for front brake pads too. I'm not at all hard on the brakes yet the front wheels have pad a lot of fallout on them after 600 Km, most of that rural. No idea what sorts of pads are currently fitted. Hopefully there's a 'magic' pad set out there which pull the car up well without dirtying the wheels too much.

Thanks in advance..
Old 02-08-14, 12:29 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BeLSNow111
I am fairly new, while browsing ******* parts catalog for my VIN I am confused as to what part is which. My car is 1996 LEXUS LS400 (UCF20L-AEPGKA) USA 1UZFE 4FC. I was curious which part code is for the transmission filter, and since I am considering replacing the filter would you recommend replacing the gasket, bolt, etc
definitely replace filter, drain bolt and gasket!

● drain bolt is part number 90341-10011
● gasket is part number 35178-30010
● filter is part number 35330-50010

As far as transmission oil I was reading that Toyota Type T-IV had a different viscosity rating than Mobil 3309. Does Toyota's fluid have some additional additives that would make it 'better' than Mobil 3309 or other manufacture approved JWS 3309?
quit reading information provided by Beavis & Butthead! (wherever you read that, just strike that place as a source) - there is NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOVER in Mobil ATF 3309 and Toyota T-IV - they are made in the same Exxon Mobil refineries on the same production line, the only difference is the graphics on the bottle!

they also make some other JWS 3309 on the same production line, such as Volvo, Saab, Mazda and a couple of other JWS 3309 brands

I have actually been able to negotiate the best deals on T-IV, so I use that, but if I could find one of the other brand bottles cheaper, I would use it!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 02-08-14 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-08-14, 12:33 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kevvo
I'm after recommendations for front brake pads too. I'm not at all hard on the brakes yet the front wheels have pad a lot of fallout on them after 600 Km, most of that rural. No idea what sorts of pads are currently fitted. Hopefully there's a 'magic' pad set out there which pull the car up well without dirtying the wheels too much.
Personally I like the factory original pads, especially up front where all the wear happens and braking is done, here is why: - Yes they are a bit pricey, but they last friggin forever, people are getting 80,000+ miles on the factory pads and they are made much nicer than aftermarket, and with the incredible life of these pads, it justifies the cost, and the very high quality and fit and performance is just icing on the cake!
Old 02-09-14, 04:58 PM
kevvo
Rookie

Default BeLSNow111 - re CD stacker.

Hi BeLSNow111 here at home I have an old CD player model number PD-502M and the stacker in it says 'for car and home use'. The stacker is identical to those fitted to early Lexus vehicles.

Please see: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pioneer-6...3D251389182987

Vendor states that it is in very good order.

If you're still looking for a stacker, it's the only one I could find and as I type this there are 32 hours to go. Whether the vendor will ship to the states is another thing,
Old 02-09-14, 05:51 PM
kevvo
Rookie

BeLSNow111, please see:

http://s354.photobucket.com/user/kev...g.html?filters[user]=139223608&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

and

http://s354.photobucket.com/user/kev...g.html?filters[user]=139223608&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

(Photobucket pics don't load here?)

I asked the vendor, whom I have absolutely no affiliation with, about shipping to the USA and he replied he wants to know an exact postcode.

cheers
Old 02-09-14, 08:00 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

the are plenty of these on USA ebay - www.ebay.com
Old 03-21-14, 04:42 AM
kevvo
Rookie

Default Headlight assembly removal

One of the bulbs in the left hand headlight assembly isn't working so I need to take a look. Presumably, I have to remove the assembly to get to the bulb sockets, otherwise I'd need to remove the battery, at least. I can see 2 bolts and a screw holding the assembly in place. Is there anything else I need to be aware of before removing the assembly? Such as headlight levelling mechanisms etc. Just to remind, the car is right hand drive.

Also, under where the right hand bonnet strut mounts there is a small horn of sorts. What's it for? I thought it was the chirper for remote locking but the chirp seems to come from the left side of the engine bay,

Thanks in advance.

edit: The car has HID lamps if that makes any difference.

==================================================
(This link is for my info so I can find the thread again, easily).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...elt-cover.html
==================================================

Last edited by kevvo; 03-21-14 at 04:43 AM. Reason: adding info

Quick Reply: Recently acquired LS400 ~ some questions