LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help! no heat.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 08:36 AM
5pound
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! no heat.

Hello, I have searched this topic to no avail. I have a 91 ls400 which sometimes overcharges the battery to 19 volts. haven't solved that problem yet, but now I have no heat. I have checked all fuses and none are blown. when I say no heat I mean I have no power to climate control.
Old 01-30-14, 11:24 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

It sounds like the two issues that may well be related

first, you MUST correct the over-voltage issue immediately - this is normally due to the voltage regulator circuit which is within the alternator - you can either swap out this portion of the alternator or else replace the alternator, but either way, you are going to ruin many circuits in your LS400 if you don't fix this now.

Once the 19 volt issue is fixed and your charging voltage is below 15V at the battery, then we can solve the heat issue, if the alternator repair or replacement doesn't immediately solve it!

also, the most common cause of alternator failure in the LS400 is power steering fluid leaking on to it, so if you have a power steering fluid leak, you need to fix that as well, or else the new alternator will quickly die
Old 01-30-14, 12:23 PM
5pound
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
It sounds like the two issues that may well be related

first, you MUST correct the over-voltage issue immediately - this is normally due to the voltage regulator circuit which is within the alternator - you can either swap out this portion of the alternator or else replace the alternator, but either way, you are going to ruin many circuits in your LS400 if you don't fix this now.

Once the 19 volt issue is fixed and your charging voltage is below 15V at the battery, then we can solve the heat issue, if the alternator repair or replacement doesn't immediately solve it!

also, the most common cause of alternator failure in the LS400 is power steering fluid leaking on to it, so if you have a power steering fluid leak, you need to fix that as well, or else the new alternator will quickly die
Thanks lscowboyls! The overcharging has been plaguing me for months. Had the alternator repaired but same problem occurred. Went out today and checked the heater relay, plugged it back in and it worked! Also no more overcharging. Do you think failing caps could cause the overcharging? I have read your thread on that but I am not experiencing any of those symptoms. I have also inspected it very well and see no signs of leaking.
Old 01-30-14, 12:28 PM
5pound
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 5pound
Thanks lscowboyls! The overcharging has been plaguing me for months. Had the alternator repaired but same problem occurred. Went out today and checked the heater relay, plugged it back in and it worked! Also no more overcharging. Do you think failing caps could cause the overcharging? I have read your thread on that but I am not experiencing any of those symptoms. I have also inspected it very well and see no signs of leaking.
Oh and no sign of PS leak.
Old 01-30-14, 12:29 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

91 LS400 capacitors are not the problematic ones of 92-97, however, they are 23 years old , so while they may not be causing any major issues, replacing them with the ones I have specified in post #1 may very well result in even nicer shifting and more low-end power as so many people are reporting, due to the fact that these capacitors were meant to last around 12 years or so before their capacitance begins to degrade.
Old 01-30-14, 08:31 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that if the battery is receiving 19V at the terminals, two things will happen:
1. It will produce hydrogen at a pretty amazing rate, and will quickly deplete the electrolyte.
2. It will then permanently sulphate the plates.
LScowboyLS is spot on regarding the voltage regulator.
I am amazed that the battery will hold a charge at all (unless you are adding distilled water to it constantly).
IMHO, you need or soon will need a new battery.
LScowboyLS, what do you think?
Old 01-30-14, 09:12 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I think he could blow up the battery if this is not permanently solved.