LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

speedometer/vsc light/check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 06:37 PM
jhp9mm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually found this website on the right hand side of this forum - check it out:

http://www.myairbags.com/gmclusters.php
Attached Thumbnails speedometer/vsc light/check engine light-cluster-repair-myairbags.jpg  
Old 02-16-14, 07:31 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

I would want to hear a lot of recommendations from people first hand here on Club Lexus who have used a place, before getting delicate cluster or electrical work done!

No one any good fixes an LS400 gauge or cluster for $50 - don't be silly!
Old 02-16-14, 08:57 PM
jhp9mm
Rookie

I will post a follow-up thread on the results of the myairbags.com repair and service on my cluster for $75.00.
Old 02-16-14, 09:16 PM
jhp9mm
Rookie

p.s.
the cluster im getting is a used one from my dealership. when the fixed one comes in - the dealership will do the installation.
Old 02-21-14, 02:27 AM
jhp9mm
Rookie

thank you for your suggestion, elite7.
Old 02-21-14, 02:44 AM
jhp9mm
Rookie

shipped a spare cluster to MYAIRBAGS.com for repair. packaging costs = $11.00. postage (2-3 days) = $23.70 [I was fortunate that the p.o. clerk reopened my box and compacted it - before she did that, the cost would have been $46.00] TOTAL SO FAR = $34.70

they wont bill me till they get my package. the projected cost of my order will be as follows >

FULL CLUSTER REPAIR $75.00
Coupon Credit $ 5.00
Sub-Total $70.00
Shipping (2-3 day) $12.00
TOTAL (projected) $82.00

ill let you guys know what REALLY HAPPENS - asap!
Old 02-27-14, 01:30 PM
jhp9mm
Rookie

RESULTS FROM MYAIRBAGS.COM >>>

Although I haven't received my UNREPAIRED cluster yet, this is a copy of the email sent to me by MYAIRBAGS.COM:

We have received your package.
We also received your payment
Unfortunately, we must inform you that some of the items cannot be reset/rebuilt due to internal hardware issues. We deeply regret to inform you of this inconvenience and we apologize for this unexpected issue. See a list of unrepairable items below. You will receive a refund for these parts if you have paid for them. If you paid by paypal or credit card you should see a reversal on your account.

Items Not Reset/Repaired:

Instrument Cluster for 1999 LEXUS LS400

what to do?!?!?

LOCALLY > $125 JUST TO LOOK at it! IF they decide that they can help you, this amount will be applied as credit to the $650 price tag of the repair. 1-year warranty.

WOODFINS.com > $329.99 S/H not included for used auto parts. 90-day warranty.

Mr. Whizard (speedometerservice.com) > $329 but he just shot me down - said that the cluster would not survive the shipping and would be thrown out of whack.
Old 02-27-14, 01:42 PM
jhp9mm
Rookie

hello!

not sure if you saw my last post yet but I was wondering if you have any diagrams or pictures to explain capacitors and where to get them. I CAN SOLDER.

im willing to try anything > NOTHING VENTURED, NOTHING GAINED!

even if it doesn't work, at least I have gained new experience and knowledge. if it does - wonderful!

let me know - thank you!
Old 02-27-14, 01:49 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

maybe you should reread post#17 above

it would have saved you $35
Old 02-27-14, 02:10 PM
jhp9mm
Rookie

true dat - lol!
Old 02-27-14, 06:08 PM
Yamae

Received 893 Likes on 674 Posts

If it is caused by a capacitor and you want to fix it all by yourself, the most simple way is to measure the impedance of electrolytic capacitors on the board using an impedance analyzer or an equivalent and find out the exact capacitor. To do this, you don't need to remove the capacitor. Just apply probes to the capacitor.

If the problem is caused by other components, it is not easy for an average owner to fix it even a professional guy can't often neither. You need to ask some one who is skilled enough and pay some big $ or buy another good unit of a new or used.

I often fix different electronics related units requested by shop owners around here but I am not a guy who is living doing so. I only do it when I am not busy. It is just my hobby or should I say I do it to keep my health and brain not to go down more. It is really a fun to do. Most of failures are caused by electrolytic capacitors but sometimes caused by others such as cracked solder joints, semiconductors, resistors, other capacitors and open/shorted traces. The cracked solder joints are not very often the case but sometimes there. Why don't you try looking at boards carefully using a magnifier before you give up.

In case of semiconductors, I still fix it when the component is available but sometimes not due to the no availability but this can be fixed mostly picking up the part from another defective unit.
Old 02-27-14, 06:26 PM
jhp9mm
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yamae
If it is caused by a capacitor and you want to fix it all by yourself, the most simple way is to measure the impedance of electrolytic capacitors on the board using an impedance analyzer or an equivalent and find out the exact capacitor. To do this, you don't need to remove the capacitor. Just apply probes to the capacitor.

If the problem is caused by other components, it is not easy for an average owner to fix it even a professional guy can't often neither. You need to ask some one who is skilled enough and pay some big $ or buy another good unit of a new or used.

I often fix different electronics related units requested by shop owners around here but I am not a guy who is living doing so. I only do it when I am not busy. It is just my hobby or should I say I do it to keep my health and brain not to go down more. It is really a fun to do. Most of failures are caused by electrolytic capacitors but sometimes caused by others such as cracked solder joints, semiconductors, resistors, other capacitors and open/shorted traces. The cracked solder joints are not very often the case but sometimes there. Why don't you try looking at boards carefully using a magnifier before you give up.

In case of semiconductors, I still fix it when the component is available but sometimes not due to the no availability but this can be fixed mostly picking up the part from another defective unit.
wow! im going to wait for my boyfriend to get home so he can explain some of this to me (maybe) - it sounds crazy but im willing to try since ill probably end up buying a new one or at least repairing one of the two clusters I have. that means I have an EXTRA cluster to play doctor on. THANK YOU!
Old 02-28-14, 01:27 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 83 Posts

We have been talking with the OP about their cluster issues.

We receive instrument clusters and other electronics on a weekly basis from customers with a bad experience from myairbags. Clearly they should stick to airbags!

We have hundreds of Lexus clusters on the shelves here and can resolve any issue you have with them.

We have great feedback here on club lexus with the SC300/400 members and are also a supporting vendor.

The problems in this thread are not capacitor related.
www.taninautoelectronix.com