LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Feedback on ls400s I am looking at (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 03:48 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like the research your doing on this car, you also have to check out the mechanic that you chose.
Old 02-19-14, 04:37 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt91
Just like the research your doing on this car, you also have to check out the mechanic that you chose.
well.. i agree. The shop had great ratings. my dad told me its a waist to take it because they dont do a thorough inspection. i listened to people on the net. and my dad was right.
Old 02-19-14, 04:51 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Good technicians are worth their weight in gold.
Old 02-19-14, 06:28 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nobody on here told you to take it there... I said take it to YOUR mechanic or the dealer, not some random shop you found online and know nothing about...
Reading ratings online is not always a good way of finding a good mechanic... you have to talk with them, ask if they know the car well or not. You're not really giving us any details on what went down or how.

If your dad said it was a waist because they don't do good inspections there, it sounds like he has some prior knowledge you do not.
Was it some sort of Chain-repair shop or glorified quick lube?
Was the mechanic a master tech or even ticketed/licensed?
Did you point out the stuff your dad noticed that they didn't?
Did you pay them?

If I spotted something a shop missed, I'd be making a big stink about it and not paying for the inspection.
Old 02-19-14, 07:36 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Shmee is the kind of tech your looking for. Are you sure you want to start with a 20 year old car as your first? Unless your willing to DIY your repairs this can be expensive.
Old 02-19-14, 08:57 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Flattered, but I don't think I'm worth the $4,783,224.00 according to http://www.onlygold.com/tutorialpage...ightingold.asp

maybe 2, 2.5mil tops! haha.
Old 02-19-14, 10:27 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cobalt91
Shmee is the kind of tech your looking for. Are you sure you want to start with a 20 year old car as your first? Unless your willing to DIY your repairs this can be expensive.
im willing to do everything diy i mean all the repairs im gonna start with are gonna be diy. i know the cars old. but even if i get something 10 years older it will be a corolla and have about the same miles on it. im sure i want a ls400
Old 02-19-14, 10:34 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Talking

Originally Posted by Shmee
Nobody on here told you to take it there... I said take it to YOUR mechanic or the dealer, not some random shop you found online and know nothing about...
Reading ratings online is not always a good way of finding a good mechanic... you have to talk with them, ask if they know the car well or not. You're not really giving us any details on what went down or how.

If your dad said it was a waist because they don't do good inspections there, it sounds like he has some prior knowledge you do not.
Was it some sort of Chain-repair shop or glorified quick lube?
Was the mechanic a master tech or even ticketed/licensed?
Did you point out the stuff your dad noticed that they didn't?
Did you pay them?

If I spotted something a shop missed, I'd be making a big stink about it and not paying for the inspection.
well to be honest. my dad doesn't have a mechanic neither do I. everything my dads done to his car has been at home just order the parts and repair the car with me. or when it was covered under warranty at the dealer. I took it to a little shop called Reseda automotive. I understand you didnt tell me to take it to that certain place. but i have no mechanic. Maybe i sould have tooken it to a dealer ship and done a inspection at $150 but then i have a feeling theyd just say small things are wrong to try nd get me to spend money. I trust my dad he lifted the car on a jack and spent an while looking at things. The cars mechanically sound. the guy that did the inspection said the same.
EDIT: my dad wasnt talking about the shop itself he was talking about in general they dont do good inspections. Oh and i was about to pay until my dad said the inspection they did was crap and he pointed a few things out the didn't. And they said whatever just don't leave a bad rating
Old 02-19-14, 11:06 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Fair enough.

Lots of shops do crap inspections, but chances are they do crap work as well... Its really hard to find a "Good Mechanic" these days. The economy has hit a lot of shops hard, and what used to be a customer service FIRST trade, has degraded pretty heavily into a "hand-to-mouth" sort of business for a lot of shops. Sadly, it is more a matter of getting work through the door than taking care of the customers best interest.

All of this is important stuff because not every seller is going to let you touch their car with a jack. I certainly wouldn't let a potential buyer jack up a car i was selling. Not because I have something to hide, but because if they F-something up, they can basically trot away and I'm left with a now damaged car.

For the next car, find a shop that will do the inspection you want and get the seller to take it there if it's too far for them to let you take it. Just make sure the shop understands what you want and is willing to give it to you.
Old 02-19-14, 11:19 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shmee
Fair enough.

Lots of shops do crap inspections, but chances are they do crap work as well... Its really hard to find a "Good Mechanic" these days. The economy has hit a lot of shops hard, and what used to be a customer service FIRST trade, has degraded pretty heavily into a "hand-to-mouth" sort of business for a lot of shops. Sadly, it is more a matter of getting work through the door than taking care of the customers best interest.

All of this is important stuff because not every seller is going to let you touch their car with a jack. I certainly wouldn't let a potential buyer jack up a car i was selling. Not because I have something to hide, but because if they F-something up, they can basically trot away and I'm left with a now damaged car.

For the next car, find a shop that will do the inspection you want and get the seller to take it there if it's too far for them to let you take it. Just make sure the shop understands what you want and is willing to give it to you.
yea definetly. the guy was a bit skeptical but he let him lift it. i also forgot that i havent asked about a smog certficate. on friday when i see the car again. Ill offer 1650 and before that ask if hes smoged the car(its cali u have to smog before buying). then if he says ill wait to if better offers come ill say ill do 1650 plus smogs on me before buying the car if it passes ill buy the car. i mean im %99 sure its gonna pass. but still. hopefully i get the car for 1700-1800
Old 02-20-14, 06:25 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
StereoRob's '95 is a bit slower than his '90 was, because ever since he has had the car, it's been in need of ECU capacitors and perhaps also not in the same state of tune as his '90 was

the 95's are slightly quicker than a 90 would be, but these two generations are close enough in performance that other factors tend to make a much bigger difference in power, rather than the generation of the car, something as simple as a tune-up.

starting in '98, however, the LS400 got considerably quicker, due to the new VVT-i variable valve timing and the elimination of the distributor caps, rotors, and plug wires, as well as an acoustic control induction system.
ive driven other 95s and yeah mine dose feel kind of sluggish but i still think the ucf10 handles better at high speeds, cruises better on the highway, and feels a bit faster. ive tried both kinds of cars that i know were mechanically sound as well as electrically. the ucf20 feels more like a caddy and has more body roll than a ucf10. just my opinion, as for the 98+ models, yeah, they are beasts! ill get one.. someday..

anyway yes the Ls400 was electronically limited to 155mph but you can get er up to 160 if you are on a slight incline. takes awhile to get up that high and the 1uz will be screaming but yeah, they can do 160!
Old 02-20-14, 06:27 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

infact the Ls400 is the only full size sedan lexus ever made that can get up that high in top speed. the Ls430 was limited to 135 and the Ls460 is limited to around 140. although id feel safer in a 2 year old Ls460 at those speeds than a 25 year old Ls400
Old 02-21-14, 12:07 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stereorob
infact the Ls400 is the only full size sedan lexus ever made that can get up that high in top speed. the Ls430 was limited to 135 and the Ls460 is limited to around 140. although id feel safer in a 2 year old Ls460 at those speeds than a 25 year old Ls400
Well guys. Just gave the guy a call. He said the cars mine tomorrow for 1650. gonna pick it up in the morning. I was ready to pay more
Old 02-21-14, 12:09 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
If what he is saying is true about the car's condition, and with that good of an auto-check, and your assessment of the condition, you better go get that car and pay whatever he wants up to to $2000 or so. - I am the first one to beat someone down on the price for a bargain, but you also have to know when to suck it up and pay the man and be the high bidder and end up with the great car - if you get too cocky, you will LOSE the great cars to someone like me!
the cars mine for 1650. Im picking it up in the morning i was ready to pay more.
well someone just saw the car. I outbid him on my 1900. i think its still a good deal. im gonna ask him to write i got the car for $200. so itll save me money on taxes

Last edited by xxmariolxx; 02-21-14 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-21-14, 10:59 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xxmariolxx
the cars mine for 1650. Im picking it up in the morning i was ready to pay more.
well someone just saw the car. I outbid him on my 1900. i think its still a good deal. im gonna ask him to write i got the car for $200. so itll save me money on taxes
Well turns out my parent screwed me over. i thought i had 5k it turns out they spent 4k of it. I gathered up money and have 1880. haven't told em yet, will do in person but he shouldn't make a big deal. as for registration and all that. there paying and taking it off of how much they have to pay me back. sucks they didnt tell me until rthe night before Im buying the car

Quick Reply: Feedback on ls400s I am looking at (merged threads)