LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New LS400 for $1800

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-14, 10:41 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Akito san
good pick up mario i got one today aswell but more HIGHway miles XD
let us know how it goes where in CA do you stay at?
well. today i washed the car did the oil and the filter. and the battery died...treied charging it but it went from LO to 90 in litterally 5 seconds so the batterys gone. gotta go pick up a costco battery one of these days. i stay in the SF valley. LA...congrats on the pick up btw

Last edited by xxmariolxx; 02-23-14 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-23-14, 10:46 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kingsoup
First car eh? pretty damn nice! take good care of it!
haha will do. ive loved cars since a kid. these past 2 days its been only working on the car. im loving it. i got her shining today and replaced the oil and oil filter. next is the battery and the tranny fluid. def gonna take good care of it.

Last edited by xxmariolxx; 02-23-14 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-23-14, 11:21 PM
CariBRou22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent first car! Real nice grab.
If I may suggest one thing though-
Don't plasti dip anything on it!
That's just evil!
Old 02-24-14, 07:05 AM
dveneman
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I too will encourage you to resist cheap modifications.
Continue to focus on bringing up all the maintenance in addition to cleaning and polishing.
A clean well maintained luxury car will set you apart from the crowd and return your money when time to sell.
I must be getting old, I sound like my dad.

Last edited by dveneman; 02-24-14 at 08:38 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-24-14, 08:00 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by xxmariolxx
yea i got 5w30. i got mobile 1. it was $15 for 5 quartz. i believe it was the cheapest. he just told me to go with the cheapest there is since. i think the pennzoil was 17.
you may have gotten Mobil Super for $15/5 quart, but you didn't get Mobil 1 (which is a full synthetic) - big difference!

the next thing to do is find and fix any power steering fluid leaks, as they will kill your alternator in short order - the parts to fix these leaks are surprisingly cheap!
Old 02-24-14, 08:34 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CariBRou22
Excellent first car! Real nice grab.
If I may suggest one thing though-
Don't plasti dip anything on it!
That's just evil!
Haha funny thing is I thought about making the emblems black on a black car and returned the dip. I hate the gold emblems so im gonna make them chrome. Black emblems on a black car doesn't look great though. There's a tut on here how to turn your gold ones into chrome. I'm gonna do that
Old 02-24-14, 08:36 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
you may have gotten Mobil Super for $15/5 quart, but you didn't get Mobil 1 (which is a full synthetic) - big difference!

the next thing to do is find and fix any power steering fluid leaks, as they will kill your alternator in short order - the parts to fix these leaks are surprisingly cheap!
Haha yea mobile not mobile 1. Any suggestions on how to find power steering leaks???
Old 02-24-14, 09:43 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by xxmariolxx
Haha yea mobile not mobile 1. Any suggestions on how to find power steering leaks???
I would suggest removing the big plastic under-shield from the under the engine for a month or two, it makes finding leaks soooo much easier and the only purpose it serves is the slightest, tiniest amount of noise reduction and about 0.10 mpg of fuel economy, so no worries leaving it off a while during a leak investigation!

then I would carefully clean the underside of the engine with a solvent or canned engine cleaner, not via a spray (use a rag)

once the engine and suspension are all nice and clean, then leaks become much more obvious

most PS leaks are either the o-ring between the reservoir and pump ($3 at dealership), or else the high pressure hose ($40 on ebay)
Old 02-24-14, 10:28 AM
dveneman
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice score BTW!
Old 02-24-14, 10:47 AM
Lexman4375
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey brother, that's a really sweet ride. For black in particular, scratches and swirl marks can be seen in direct sunlight. I've had success using a clay bar and wax kit from Mothers,and it cleaned up really well. My father had a 91 LS and around 230-k, the air suspension on the front was leaking and the car looked like a low rider. This eventually damaged the compressor and I knew the rear couldn't be too far behind. Lexus wanted $1200 to fix it,so instead, I converted it to a coil spring suspension from Eibach for $600,which also included instructions on how to disable the suspension warning light. Not to scare you, but just have it looked at. The dealer will look at it for free while you get the oil changed. Other than that,he hasn't had any other problems for the car being 23 yrs old
Old 02-24-14, 10:55 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexman4375
hey brother, that's a really sweet ride. For black in particular, scratches and swirl marks can be seen in direct sunlight. I've had success using a clay bar and wax kit from Mothers,and it cleaned up really well. My father had a 91 LS and around 230-k, the air suspension on the front was leaking and the car looked like a low rider. This eventually damaged the compressor and I knew the rear couldn't be too far behind. Lexus wanted $1200 to fix it,so instead, I converted it to a coil spring suspension from Eibach for $600,which also included instructions on how to disable the suspension warning light. Not to scare you, but just have it looked at. The dealer will look at it for free while you get the oil changed. Other than that,he hasn't had any other problems for the car being 23 yrs old
haha thanks. this one isnt air suspension so nothing to worry about there. once i look at teh break pads Im gonna check if the shocks are leaking but the car rides perfect and when you press each side it doesnt bounce around. goes down and up. yea thts why i wanted to use black wax. ill check out the kit your talking about. is it also UV protective? i know some black waxes arent
Old 02-24-14, 11:18 AM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

nice ride, you're in the right place for great resources for it! learn and enjoy!

I would suggest removing the big plastic under-shield from the under the engine for a month or two, it makes finding leaks soooo much easier and the only purpose it serves is the slightest, tiniest amount of noise reduction and about 0.10 mpg of fuel economy, so no worries leaving it off a while during a leak investigation!

then I would carefully clean the underside of the engine with a solvent or canned engine cleaner, not via a spray (use a rag)

once the engine and suspension are all nice and clean, then leaks become much more obvious

most PS leaks are either the o-ring between the reservoir and pump ($3 at dealership), or else the high pressure hose ($40 on ebay)
always sound advice. i noticed that w/o the under-shield, my engine bay gets filthy much quicker so i'm sure the aerodynamics are compromised (albeit 0.10 mpg worth )!
Old 02-24-14, 11:24 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

soudns good. yea he had the timing belt done in 2010 and the powersterring but i can still check for it.
Old 02-24-14, 12:53 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't modify it or anything right away, nice ride quality, clean interior, girls like that sort of thing ) I wish I had such a reliable car when I was a teen, with a V8 even! I didn't get mine until I was 28!
Old 02-24-14, 01:09 PM
Lexman4375
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes..the wax is UV protected. Its easy to put on, but be prepared to work to get it off. Use a buffer,then finish off with a cloth baby diaper or baby receiving blanket. The car will have the wet look for months like a new paint job

Quick Reply: New LS400 for $1800