LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Top speed endurance question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 06:14 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
I still don't understand the point of this thread...

Why are we discussing something grossly negligent and supremely dangerous to do in controlled conditions, let alone on open public roads?
OH man, I am with you..... "WHO CARES" really
Old 03-11-14, 06:42 AM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
OH man, I am with you..... "WHO CARES" really
Every advance of human civilization has come from some certified nutcase stretching the boundaries of What Is Possible . . .

. . . that said, a Lexus LS400 is not at the vanguard of what is possible. Toyota was weak on suspension technology and braking technology in the 1990s. A Lexus LS400 does not have the suspension control necessary for safe passage at 150 mph on anything but a track.

An early LS400 has exactly the same problem that plagued early American muscle cars, all engine no chassis. If anyone on this forum is doing 150 mph in an early LS400 on public roads anywhere but in the middle of the desert southwest, they should be labeled "irresponsible". And if you are in the middle of the desert southwest, you best have performance shock absorbers, the engine belly pan properly installed (to help prevent lift, doncha know), and serious high speed tires. The engine does call you, but save it for acceleration.
Colin
Old 03-11-14, 07:33 AM
charlesw62
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speed

I still don't understand the point of this thread...

Why are we discussing something grossly negligent and supremely dangerous to do in controlled conditions, let alone on open public roads?
Eh, they said something similar about the Apollo Space Missions. That's why some of us ride motorcycles. That's why some of us join the Marine Corps and do 4 tours in Afghanistan! Be cause WE can!
Old 03-11-14, 07:45 AM
munday
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aerodynamics of a brick? LS400 actually has quite a good Coefficient of drag.

With regard to cooling capacity, at 6000rpm in top gear you have a lot more airflow to cool the car than at lower speed/max rpm.

With regard to engine longevity at that rpm, it will run for as many hours as you'd like it to. I work in engine development and testing for a large OEM and any engine can run at maximum rpm for as long as you can bare it. Whether the transmission, tyres, brakes etc can handle it is up for discussion
Old 03-11-14, 08:08 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are no "boundaries to what is possible" here, this is nothing more than an ego-flexing endeavour. Nothing can be learned, no advancements can be made from some dumbass driving his 15+ y/o sedan at terminal velocity down an open public road. It's not scientific, it's not in the pursuit of anything quantifiable or for the betterment of the chassis.

Originally Posted by charlesw62
Eh, they said something similar about the Apollo Space Missions. That's why some of us ride motorcycles. That's why some of us join the Marine Corps and do 4 tours in Afghanistan! Be cause WE can!
I ride too, still don't ride like an idiot though.
Actually, I don't think they said something similar about the Apollo missions in a even slightly similar guise.
You cannot compare the advancement of human civilization (space exploration) to a bunch of people doing stupid things that pose immense risk it innocent bystanders for no reason other than "because they can."

There are very easy parallels with that sort of thinking and the justification that lead to slavery and genocides!
Old 03-11-14, 10:36 AM
charlesw62
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speed

There are no "boundaries to what is possible" here, this is nothing more than an ego-flexing endeavour. Nothing can be learned, no advancements can be made from some dumbass driving his 15+ y/o sedan at terminal velocity down an open public road. It's not scientific, it's not in the pursuit of anything quantifiable or for the betterment of the chassis.

I ride too, still don't ride like an idiot though.
Actually, I don't think they said something similar about the Apollo missions in a even slightly similar guise.
You cannot compare the advancement of human civilization (space exploration) to a bunch of people doing stupid things that pose immense risk it innocent bystanders for no reason other than "because they can."

There are very easy parallels with that sort of thinking and the justification that lead to slavery and genocides!

Well, here in America we do things a little differently. Actually the naysayers did say that we could never go to the moon...but we did...it is with that same adventurous spirit that some like to take our vehicles to the track, whatever vehicle you happen to own. It was said America would not last, but, with the help of God and a few Marines we are still here 238 years later.
Old 03-11-14, 11:05 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not trying to make this into some debate about 'Murica/God/Marines...

And yet none of what you said changes the fact that this entire conversation is NOT about "taking it to the track."
There is no track in NA that can allow a LS400 to reach terminal velocity, let alone for an extended period.

And again, no. They did not say the same thing about going to the moon as what is being said here. I'm not saying the LS can't do 150+ for a burst or an extended period of time. I'm saying WTF is the point considering 100% of the people doing this, are doing exactly ZERO research/testing or looking for ways to improve a 15+y/o car that wil be implemented in existing cars of newer models.... The advancement of technology and the human race... What the space race was about.

Driving an aged 15+y/o sedan, likely not in 100% condition, down a public road above 120mph is nothing more than personal gratification, ego stroking and really F'ing dangerous/stupid.

There is no correlation to the naysayers of the space program.
There is no correlation to "'Murica doing things differently," this has and always be a world wide example of stupid people doing stupid and dangerous things because they think it's cool!

And that is coming from someone who used to do similar stupid and dangerous things in my youth...
Old 03-11-14, 12:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Guys this isn't the debate forum.

Stick to the topic on hand, the mechanical effect of high-speed driving.
Old 03-11-14, 12:53 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Alright PD...

Originally Posted by Stereorob
Anyone here live in a area where you could do 150 every single day all the time for long periods?....

...but has anyone taken lets say, a 1990 Ls400 for a white knuckle 2 hour sustained speed of 150 mph drive ?

The answers are:

No
Even in areas with unlimited highways, it's not really possible to maintain speeds above 120mph for more than a few mins max, due to traffic no matter the time or day. This is well documented with high speed runs along the autobahn and similar roads. You're Lucky to get 1-2 mins of clear road at such speeds, which would be about 3-4miles of road plus all the run-up needed to get close to that speed.

And

No
-no place on earth exists where you can drive for 2hours at 150+mph, except for maybe Nardo.
-the LS does not have the fuel capacity to support more than maybe 30-60mins of driving at such speed.
-the heat generated in the tires by such an endeavour would exceed virtually all commercially available tires in about 15-30mins, then pop and you're done gone.
-the wheels, bearings and suspension (even high end aftermarket stuff) were not designed nor spec'ed to handle the forces and centripetal loads associated with such speeds for more than very brief periods of time.

And that's an engineer speaking. lol
Old 03-11-14, 03:57 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I went round 120-140 (safely) when I first picked up my LS400, the LS stock feels so numb and susceptible to front end lifting and bad undercarriage air turbulence @ higher speeds. Since then I've been driving "normal" until I start my modifications route.

@Shmee agreeable, the engine can take a beating, but the rest of all the components playing part in holding the car together @ 150+ will cry so hard that they cut themselves (the rubber components will start to split and crack) =p
I'm thinking a transmission cooler would do wonder for this cars
Old 03-11-14, 04:38 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Wow what happened in here lol. Like I said I took it to 140 for a couple of minutes and most of that time was getting the nerve to get it up to 140. I have no desire to do that again but i have to agree with shmee it's not a responsible endeavor on public roads. I do admit that I cruise at 80-90 ( not on cruise control ) on 2-3 hour trips and am comfortable doing so.
Old 03-11-14, 11:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Shmee and CharlesW62 exit this thread immediately.
Old 03-12-14, 09:30 PM
Doc Yota
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you google LS400 you will find that this vehicle was designed to sustain 160 MPH. My 99 is sitting on 20"s and I have had her above 150 a couple times. Not something I do often but when I do she seems stable and quiet. It's not hard keeping her above 120 at all (when I encounter vehicles while in high speed transport I will drop below 100 for a number of reasons) which was surprising to me because my 93 Acura Legend has to take a second to gather itself to get above 130, or return to any speed above 130 if you get off the gas while in high speed transport. I have tangled with Vettes, new Stang V8's, SC400's, and 430's, and my favorite, those damn new Hemi's and she runs with the best of them above 140MPH. With the exception of a bit of wind noise through the windshield gasket, it's comfortable, capable, concentrated evil on four wheels.
Old 03-13-14, 08:13 AM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would expect actually the components are tested to run at very high speed for long periods of time. Given that the LS is accepted as a pretty over-engineered car, I would imagine that its probably true! Lets say the cars are in tip top shape as well and not older. I know my 93 would have stopped no problem from 150mph, and they have pretty big radiators.

Also as someone else stated the car actually has a very low .cd of drag, frontal area isn't small, but not large. I think the first gen lexus was the lowest in the world of .cd and the 2nd gen cars were even lower, they don't look like a wedge but doesn't mean its not slippery!
Old 03-13-14, 12:26 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

The car just did not feel connected to the road anymore at that speed.

Quick Reply: Top speed endurance question