LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Top speed endurance question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 12:46 PM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^what size tires? stock suspension?
big sidewall and narrow contact patch tire will tend to feel floaty at high speeds, coupled with stock damping=boat.

Lower profile tires, hi speed set damping=handle 150 mph all day and feel good about it.
Old 03-13-14, 07:21 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

All stock at the time.
Old 03-13-14, 07:25 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I wasn't trying to be a irresponsible jackass with this. I'm asking this as a purely scientific and analytical question. So aside from being trashed and accused of being a irresponsible asshat I'm hearing that the engine would more than likely be okay but everything else like suspension and transmission would be in jeprody, as well as the general public, you're life, and you're license as well as freedom depending on what area you live in lol. I've been driving Ls400s since 01 when I got my first one, a 90 when I was 17. Back then yeah I was a punk with a lead foot that really didn't think about others and yeah I took it to 160 a few times but always got scared and slowed down after a minute or two. I took my current 95 Ls400 to 160 when I first got it on a long stretch of desolate road in the middle of the night for about 20 seconds but the car didn't like it and I enjoy my freedom lol.
Old 03-13-14, 09:35 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
I wasn't trying to be a irresponsible jackass with this. I'm asking this as a purely scientific and analytical question. So aside from being trashed and accused of being a irresponsible asshat I'm hearing that the engine would more than likely be okay but everything else like suspension and transmission would be in jeprody, as well as the general public, you're life, and you're license as well as freedom depending on what area you live in lol. I've been driving Ls400s since 01 when I got my first one, a 90 when I was 17. Back then yeah I was a punk with a lead foot that really didn't think about others and yeah I took it to 160 a few times but always got scared and slowed down after a minute or two. I took my current 95 Ls400 to 160 when I first got it on a long stretch of desolate road in the middle of the night for about 20 seconds but the car didn't like it and I enjoy my freedom lol.
how did you have money for gas LOL ahaha. im 18 my 90 is my first car. i try to keep it under 1500 rpm. i love to floor it but i cant afford to get 5mpg around flooring it all the time. paying gas for this thing is a *****. now driving someones car that i dont pay gas for is a different story lolol
Old 03-14-14, 08:39 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah it really turns into a fuel **** at those speeds. About a mile per gallon. I could literally see the fuel gauge move at that speed. Strangely enough my 90 seemed more stable and better planted on the road at 150 than my 95 dose. The 90 had a easier time getting up there too. I think what it really boils down to is that when lexus introduced the Ls400 as there first car as a 90 model, they were trying to make a good first impression, which worked and it was a lasting one. I'm thinking by the time the mid cycle refresh came in 95 they were more focused on refinement and cruising vs white knuckle high speed driving and performance. By 95 lexus had established itself in the game and already had a following/ target audience and it wasn't the speed demons. This is why the really early ones are so special at least to me. Those early ones from 90-92, were all about performance. It's a shame there are so few of them left today cause lexus won't ever make a LS that was as fun to drive as those really early 400s
Old 03-14-14, 08:49 AM
sshhlexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'93 LS400 - I won't go above 90mph now with my tires, stock size, they were on the car when I bought it and are rated (M+S) I think that's 120mph or below.

This is a bit besides the point, maybe the topic/info is on another part of the forum. Has anybody worked on the plastic intake nozzle, I just cleaned mine, The horizontal part near the body/grill, I put a bit of motor oil on the weather stripping parts around the plastic intake tubes. They were super dry. I figured that this would save them a little. Has anyone ever tried to "scoop" the intake more smoother or flush to the body/grill? Would it really make a difference? The theory here is that more air would be swallowed into the intake. This would be visible only with the hood open. I'll check the build forums for this. Thanks.

Last edited by sshhlexus; 03-14-14 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-14-14, 10:46 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ The M+S just means good for driving in mud and snow it's
not the speed rating. This link will tell you about all the markings on the tire sidewall.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=33
Old 03-14-14, 11:31 AM
sshhlexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Learned something new today.

In fact they are 97S, 97 load factor = 1610lbs, S = 112 mph rating. Still good tread they seem to wear evenly. They were on the car when I bought it.

Last edited by sshhlexus; 03-14-14 at 03:20 PM. Reason: I gotta get my spelling right. mph
Old 03-14-14, 12:27 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

We all learn new things in this forum. That mpg should be mph lol and you might want to upgrade the tires to a higher speed rating when the time comes though it's not necessary depending on your driving habits
Old 03-14-14, 12:50 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Shmee and CharlesW62 exit this thread immediately.
are you a mod or something? just wondering
Old 03-14-14, 12:52 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Yeah it really turns into a fuel **** at those speeds. About a mile per gallon. I could literally see the fuel gauge move at that speed. Strangely enough my 90 seemed more stable and better planted on the road at 150 than my 95 dose. The 90 had a easier time getting up there too. I think what it really boils down to is that when lexus introduced the Ls400 as there first car as a 90 model, they were trying to make a good first impression, which worked and it was a lasting one. I'm thinking by the time the mid cycle refresh came in 95 they were more focused on refinement and cruising vs white knuckle high speed driving and performance. By 95 lexus had established itself in the game and already had a following/ target audience and it wasn't the speed demons. This is why the really early ones are so special at least to me. Those early ones from 90-92, were all about performance. It's a shame there are so few of them left today cause lexus won't ever make a LS that was as fun to drive as those really early 400s
i cant do that. hahaha. i get annoyed when my tank moves. im used to being in my homies little tin can corollas and civics. that the gauge doesnt even move on.
Old 03-15-14, 12:26 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

No. No they weren't. That's why they were slow as old dogs and had tiny brakes. They were extremely well-refined (especially for a 1st gen of a new platform), comfortable, and a bargain in comparison to it's competitors.
Old 03-15-14, 05:58 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
No. No they weren't. That's why they were slow as old dogs and had tiny brakes. They were extremely well-refined (especially for a 1st gen of a new platform), comfortable, and a bargain in comparison to it's competitors.
I beg to differ bro.. My old 90 could have ran circles around my 95. And everyone that I know that's upgraded from a ucf10 to a early 20 has told me the same thing.
Old 03-15-14, 08:23 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

I owned a 91 for 7 years and although I loved that car it has nothing on my 98 IMO. I'm not knocking the early model because at the time I did not think it could get any better.
Old 03-15-14, 01:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

I beg to differ bro.. My old 90 could have ran circles around my 95. And everyone that I know that's upgraded from a ucf10 to a early 20 has told me the same thing.
then something was wrong with your '95.

the '95-97 has a horsepower, torque, brake, and weight advantage over the 1st gen.

94: 250hp/260ft*lbs (over-rated, dynos showing ~230 at crank, 180 at wheels)/3859 lbs.
95: 260hp/270ft*lb/3650lbs, more than 1 second faster to 60mph.

http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1995/1995LSspecs.pdf
http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1994/1994LSspecs.pdf

All the numbers, common sense, and experiences of most members here disagree with your assessment.

Quick Reply: Top speed endurance question