LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 ls400 smoking real bad after pcv replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-14, 02:46 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 98 ls400 smoking real bad after pcv replacement

I assume the problem is with the valve itself as that is all I changed other than the starter which was done at the same time however if I plug the rubber hose with a plug and leave the valve to vent to the atmosphere the no more smoke which is what confuses me as there is not an obstruction in the intake side of the opposite valve cover on to the air box all is good but when connected it sucks massive oil from the crank case and the valve appears to be working as it should so I am baffled a bit on this one

It is a parts store valve but one would think this is a fairly universal part although Monday I will stop by Toyota and see if I cand get an oem one but I;m not holding my breath at this point.

Any ideas?
Old 03-21-14, 02:50 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by xspsi6
I assume the problem is with the valve itself as that is all I changed other than the starter which was done at the same time however if I plug the rubber hose with a plug and leave the valve to vent to the atmosphere the no more smoke which is what confuses me as there is not an obstruction in the intake side of the opposite valve cover on to the air box all is good but when connected it sucks massive oil from the crank case and the valve appears to be working as it should so I am baffled a bit on this one

It is a parts store valve but one would think this is a fairly universal part although Monday I will stop by Toyota and see if I cand get an oem one but I;m not holding my breath at this point.

Any ideas?
Upside down? Air flow should be free towards the hose/intake manifold (away from the interior of the cam cover). Check that the left cam cover area is correctly draining down to the crankcase. Gooed up cam area can cause too much oil in the vicinity . . .
Colin

Last edited by Amskeptic; 03-21-14 at 02:52 PM. Reason: added drainage check
Old 03-21-14, 04:36 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
Upside down? Air flow should be free towards the hose/intake manifold (away from the interior of the cam cover). Check that the left cam cover area is correctly draining down to the crankcase. Gooed up cam area can cause too much oil in the vicinity . . .
Colin
That's a good suggestion however when I did the vc gaskets the inside of the engine was spotless so I could see that being an issue if the engine was blocked up from late oil changes and the valve can only go one way as it's a 90 degree fitment not a straight like the 1st gen 1uzfe
Old 03-21-14, 05:13 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

That's a good suggestion however when I did the vc gaskets the inside of the engine was spotless so I could see that being an issue if the engine was blocked up from late oil changes and the valve can only go one way as it's a 90 degree fitment not a straight like the 1st gen 1uzfe
The correct PCV valve is apparently metered specifically to the engine. If yours is a bona-fida oem replacement, try another one. If it is not, try to get one.

Our differential diagnosis here is that it smokes with the valve in the circuit, and does not when the valve is not in the circuit. I am thinking that yours does not choke down at idle like it is supposed to.
Colin
Old 03-21-14, 05:21 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
The correct PCV valve is apparently metered specifically to the engine. If yours is a bona-fida oem replacement, try another one. If it is not, try to get one.

Our differential diagnosis here is that it smokes with the valve in the circuit, and does not when the valve is not in the circuit. I am thinking that yours does not choke down at idle like it is supposed to.
Colin
I think you are 100% correct as I did notice that the plunger in the valve was sucked all the way up in the valve at idle so that sits with what I was thinking that the valve although it fits as it should is not the proper one so with that said I will go to the dealer Monday and get the proper replacement and report back wit the results, Thanks for your input
Old 03-25-14, 10:45 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Update: A stuck injector flooded the #7 cylinder and bent a rod just slightly thus causing the abnormal crank case pressure not the pcv valve,
Old 03-25-14, 11:48 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Update: A stuck injector flooded the #7 cylinder and bent a rod just slightly thus causing the abnormal crank case pressure not the pcv valve,
say what????

this sounds BOOO-GUS! - you might could get this to happen if your car had been in a flood and a cylinder was full of water and hydrolocked, but even then the starter would likely fail first

I have been building and repairing engines for 40 years and I have never seen an stuck open injector bend a connecting rod.....EVER.

I think you have a mechanic who needed to make a boat payment!
Old 03-26-14, 07:10 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Actually I am a mechanic by trade which is what threw me for a loop as I knew it was running very rich over the last couple of weeks just never got around to popping the hood (been super busy) and the injector was stuck open when I parked it the previous night then on the way to work I was sitting with the key on texting some people who sent messages the previous night which let the cylinder fill with fuel then I went to start it and it sounded bad but started.

So at work I changed the injector and plugs also checked the compression which was at 70 in that cyl as well

I will just order a jdm engine and swap it out after a refresh of the seals and t-belt.

Car only had 160k on it so must have been some freak deal the only think I can think of is I changed the fuel filter a few days prior and maybe that got dirt in the fuel system somehow but even one would think the screen on the injector would catch anything left?
Old 03-26-14, 09:41 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

LScowboy -
Boat payment - You must be a fan of Click 'n'Clack! :-)
Old 03-26-14, 10:20 AM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

how do you know you bent a rod, other than seeing poor compression?! i see a valve going first but even that is somewhat improbable. what type of gas are you using?
Old 03-26-14, 10:54 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene01
LScowboy -
Boat payment - You must be a fan of Click 'n'Clack! :-)
now why would I listen to these two knuckleheads?

Old 03-26-14, 11:53 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
how do you know you bent a rod, other than seeing poor compression?! i see a valve going first but even that is somewhat improbable. what type of gas are you using?
Car still runs good other than the low comp and the blow by so I just rigged up an oil catch can until the jdm motor gets put in.

I have run all of my ls400's over the years on 87 fuel with no ill effects.
Old 03-26-14, 12:23 PM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

87 oct?! hmm
Old 03-26-14, 03:17 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Car still runs good other than the low comp and the blow by so I just rigged up an oil catch can until the jdm motor gets put in.

I have run all of my ls400's over the years on 87 fuel with no ill effects.
I am intrigued by this "bent rod" deal. How do you diagnose a bent rod from 70 psi?
Colin
Old 03-26-14, 03:33 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

LScowboy - Thanks for the great picture!

Quick Reply: 98 ls400 smoking real bad after pcv replacement