LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Buying ls400 with possible...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-14, 12:06 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

car looks clean but i wouldnt buy a car that cant startalot of the times without knowing %100 what the problem is. are you a diy type of person? if not that can easily cost you half of what your paying for the car to fix and even more. it also has navigation which is something i wouldnt want. i would skip this car and keep looking. its not some amazing price either. theres alot of 98+ ls400s for around 6k
Old 03-25-14, 04:46 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by blumonster
I will wait then
This was 6700$ .
i paid something close to this for my 97 a few years ago, and though it was in good condition, it needed a timing belt change. the only reason i bought it was bc it was the right color combo i wanted (white/grey) and was from a private owner who was decent at its ownership. i also specifically wanted a 97. i drove 150 miles out to get it.

what i'm trying to say is that i agree with LScowboy's advice. stick to it, be patient, and you won't regret the purchase.
Old 03-25-14, 06:15 PM
Largefarva
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is here a paint difference in the drivers door? Looks to be lighter in the pic, also in the second pic is that floor buckled? Looks like it has possibly had some welding done on the seam as well.......
Regardless, what year and mileage does this $6700 car have?

Last edited by Largefarva; 03-25-14 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-25-14, 08:04 PM
blumonster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i paid something close to this for my 97 a few years ago, and though it was in good condition, it needed a timing belt change. the only reason i bought it was bc it was the right color combo i wanted (white/grey) and was from a private owner who was decent at its ownership. i also specifically wanted a 97. i drove 150 miles out to get it.

what i'm trying to say is that i agree with LScowboy's advice. stick to it, be patient, and you won't regret the purchase.
There is another one from Cali. At 80k miles but asking price is 10k which is way over my ceiling.

Will keep looking.
Old 03-25-14, 08:06 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

forget the asking price, if the car is great, offer 7K
Old 03-25-14, 08:08 PM
blumonster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Largefarva
Is here a paint difference in the drivers door? Looks to be lighter in the pic, also in the second pic is that floor buckled? Looks like it has possibly had some welding done on the seam as well.......
Regardless, what year and mileage does this $6700 car have?
I did not see the color difference on the door in person, might be just the picture/shades. But the first and the second pictures show some buckling/kinks... What is the part in 2nd pic that seems not straight? Is it made of metal or plastic?

1998 with 104500 miles.
Old 03-25-14, 08:11 PM
blumonster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
forget the asking price, if the car is great, offer 7K
It does look great, California plates still on. Sold by an individual, not a dealer. I will try, just do not want to be dismissed and laughed at. Some people do not tolerate bargaining.

Buying ls400 with possible...-image.jpg

Last edited by blumonster; 03-25-14 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-25-14, 08:51 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I found my LS400 freshly listed on ebay, after watching the LS400's on ebay for about 3 or 4 months, the quality and amount of photos was unreal - the seller had 100% feedback on ebay, and the car had a perfect Autocheck and looked like a new car - so I paypal-ed him $1000 to take it off auction, and hopped a flight to south Florida for $200 and got there and the car was like a brand new car, and I drove it back and stopped at a lot of interesting Florida sights along the way back to Birmingham!

the ebay auction said "if you buy this car, I will pick you up at the airport in my Rolls", and by gosh, he did!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 03-25-14 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-25-14, 09:06 PM
blumonster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I found my LS400 freshly listed on ebay, after watching the LS400's on ebay for about 3 or 4 months, the quality and amount of photos was unreal - the seller had 100% feedback on ebay, and the car had a perfect Autocheck and looked like a new car - so I paypal-ed him $1000 to take it off auction, and hopped a flight to south Florida for $200 and got there and the car was like a brand new car, and I drove it back and stopped at a lot of interesting Florida sights along the way back to Birmingham!

the ebay auction said "if you buy this car, I will pick you up at the airport in my Rolls", and by gosh, he did!
WOW!

Hope to have one like that, the experience you had is unique though. No Rolls treatment for me.

Could I see your LS?

You think he has another one to sell?
Old 03-25-14, 09:44 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

really great ones come up all of the time, these cars were garage kept by wealthy people, who had it serviced at the dealership, on schedule.

the whole trick is to BE PATIENT

don't try and rationalize every car that comes up, like it's a lost puppy that just needs a good home

you have to sit on your hands and WAIT for the great one, and it might be 2 or 3 months or more of hard looking!
Old 03-26-14, 11:33 AM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went through this process, obsessively stalking autotrader, cars.com, carsforsale.com, ebay and adhuntr for months to find just the right LS. I finally found just the right one, but I find myself still checking the listings constantly. I did it for so long it's just habit now. It's like a hobby.
Old 03-26-14, 11:45 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by blumonster
I did not see the color difference on the door in person, might be just the picture/shades. But the first and the second pictures show some buckling/kinks... What is the part in 2nd pic that seems not straight? Is it made of metal or plastic?

1998 with 104500 miles.
I can almost guarantee that someone tried to jack the car up on the very sheet metal on that spot and it went through the floor board or the jack slipped off the jack point and ended up there. Same thing happened to me and I had to get it welded.
Attached Thumbnails Buying ls400 with possible...-2013-12-13-17.29.15.jpg  
Old 03-26-14, 12:53 PM
dveneman
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mappo
I just went through this process, obsessively stalking autotrader, cars.com, carsforsale.com, ebay and adhuntr for months to find just the right LS. I finally found just the right one, but I find myself still checking the listings constantly. I did it for so long it's just habit now. It's like a hobby.
Same here!
Old 03-26-14, 01:33 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dveneman
Same here!
haha me to. luckily mine came in a few weeks. but i keep checking and am i glad i pulled the trigger on the one i bought. all the rest so far are junk. especially since i was looking at the ucf10s for around 2k. its hard to come by clean ones at that price.
Old 03-29-14, 09:16 AM
blumonster
Driver School Candidate

Today I will try a 2000 LS 400 at 167k miles. It says Platinum Package.
Its dealer service history stops at 95k with a timing belt replacement.
In its history YAW sensor was replaced. I think the first one has this problem, and it drains the battery. I heard it costs a grand to replace it.
What do you think? It is priced at $5800, negotiable.

Quick Reply: Buying ls400 with possible...