LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Intresting/strange/weird trips in your Ls400..

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-15 | 01:44 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by Stereorob
ive got a bunch of other crazy LS400 stories. need to start writing about them again
Please do! That story was scary, but also amazing (since everything worked out okay). Was the car still salvageable after the incident?

I can relate to you, because I also got my LS when I was 17; however, I wouldn't dare do anything too adventurous. Heh
Old 12-11-15 | 06:18 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

yeah the car was fine, it was dropping dirt for about a week after but it was okay. they are tough as nails! I put that car through much much worse than that.
Old 12-11-15 | 03:21 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

one time it was like really cold and my car took about 2 seconds to start instead of the usual 1... scary times lol

yea generally try to not ever take mine off of a paved road so stuff like that doesn't happen haha. one time i was visiting my boi in New Paltz and there's this cool hiking trail that we'd been to before and wanted to go again cuz there's not much else to do lol... of course i don't bother to check the weather beforehand and like 10 min before we're supposed to leave it starts to snow, obviously. the car was managing but eventually we had to go up a relatively steep mountain road and things began to get really hairy. car's sliding everywhere, vsc going crazy, while my friend's subaru forester is going up the road just fine lol. there were a few moments of genuine panic and uncertainty as to whether or not i'd actually make it up, and there was a line of cars behind as well. eventually i'm like nah, not going any further, too perilous. so we reached some scenic lookout spot and turned around and pulled over for a bit to chill there cuz it was a nice view and everything, and i wanted to stop driving for a bit. then right as we're about to leave that spot my car gets stuck trying to go up a small hill and it required all 7 of them to push it out haha. after that i made a point to get snow tires for my original 16" wheels to use during winter.

andddd then i got stuck lol
Old 12-11-15 | 10:32 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

yeah the car was fine, it was dropping dirt for about a week after but it was okay. they are tough as nails! I put that car through much much worse than that.
Heh, so the car was literally leaving a trail behind.

Are there more stories? How much worse?

Originally Posted by Stroock639
yea generally try to not ever take mine off of a paved road so stuff like that doesn't happen haha. one time i was visiting my boi in New Paltz and there's this cool hiking trail that we'd been to before and wanted to go again cuz there's not much else to do lol... of course i don't bother to check the weather beforehand and like 10 min before we're supposed to leave it starts to snow, obviously. the car was managing but eventually we had to go up a relatively steep mountain road and things began to get really hairy. car's sliding everywhere, vsc going crazy, while my friend's subaru forester is going up the road just fine lol. there were a few moments of genuine panic and uncertainty as to whether or not i'd actually make it up, and there was a line of cars behind as well. eventually i'm like nah, not going any further, too perilous. so we reached some scenic lookout spot and turned around and pulled over for a bit to chill there cuz it was a nice view and everything, and i wanted to stop driving for a bit. then right as we're about to leave that spot my car gets stuck trying to go up a small hill and it required all 7 of them to push it out haha. after that i made a point to get snow tires for my original 16" wheels to use during winter.
andddd then i got stuck lol
That's quite the interesting story, as well! Good idea to get the snow tires for your original rims. You also change those tires every few years, right?

F.Y.I. I don't have much experience with snow tires - somehow, I've managed without Trac and with Cooper CS4s through the winter.
Old 12-12-15 | 06:13 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

okay heres another one. im thinking it was the closest ive ever been to death in a car in my life...

so back in 2002, I was 17, me and 3 of my best friends decided to ride out to cocoa beach one night from Orlando, I had only had mu ucf10 for a few months, was still a young driver, and flat out crazy stupid brave, we decided to take the 520 (known as bloody 520 in later years) that the beeline 528 had replaced decades earlier as the main route to the beach. it was desolate, narrow, two lane, miles of straightaways and nobody really used it anymore. so everyone in the car wanted to see the car do 160. and ofcourse me being me at the time was happy to oblige. so theres 4 of us, jamming along to Korns "children of the Korn" album, flying along 520 doing about 100 mph, at that point when we had some real straight away and couldn't see any headlights or tail lights of other cars, I put the hammer down and didn't let off till she was wide open at 160. the car was okay but then I did something really stupid. it was in a construction zone with tons of flashing barricades on each side of the road, looking almost like a airplane runway strip or something from star wars, it was straight so I cut the lights and brought her up to about 135, flying down the road with the barricades turning into solid yellow lines on each side of the car... as soon as I cut the lights back on, the road suddenly shifted and I hadn't slowed down, and there was a gigantic CAT steam shovel about 5 car lengths infront of us. I panicked and swerved a little too hard and sent the 90 Ls400 into a spin. we spun around 8 times, everyone screaming, thinking we were going to die, somehow, some way, I was able to pull out of it and didn't crash. everyone in the car was white as ghosts and there was a very erie cool calm over all of us. we got to the beach, parked the car, had our fun and headed home. that cold misty feeling was in the car all the way back to Orlando and was still hanging around the next day. I truly believe death was in the car with us.

whats really crazy is that we learned a few months later, there had been a double fatal accident the next night, right about the same spot where I went into a skid that night, and even sadder, the three friends I had in the car with me that night all died in a crash together 3 years later, Christmas eve 2005, in Ormond Beach. 3 of my best friends I had known my whole life. it was so tragic it made national news.

I cant help to think that night in 2002, in my 90 LS400, me being a stupid show off driver played a roll in that, like it was supposed to be our time, but escaped it, and then it caught up with them 3 years later. I still worry about myself and if it will ever come for me.
Old 12-12-15 | 08:30 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

so your 1990 actually made it to 160? I thought they only reached 149. makes me wonder what the 98-00 will do without an electronic limiter lol... that's still pretty damn scary though, and I'm sorry to hear about them

yea last time my friend turned his lights off this happened

"I didn't wanna get spotted so I killed the lights" lol... I only say lol because he was ok and he's an idiot haha. he was in some trail you're "technically" not supposed to be in at night which is known to have a river going down the middle with a steep embankment on both sides. you can guess what ended up happening...
Old 12-12-15 | 08:48 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

yeah, I got really really lucky, now In my 30s I look back at some of the stupid stuff I did as a kid I just shake my head thinking about it. but yeah I got my 90 all the way up to 160, however this was years ago and the car was only 12 years old at the time, not 26 years old. idk if a 90 LS400 could take that kind of punishment these days.
Old 12-12-15 | 12:52 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
That's quite the interesting story, as well! Good idea to get the snow tires for your original rims. You also change those tires every few years, right?

F.Y.I. I don't have much experience with snow tires - somehow, I've managed without Trac and with Cooper CS4s through the winter.
yeah i got those blizzak ws80s, very happy with them. so far I've only had one winter with them but I'm about to start the 2nd. I try to use them not too often cuz the tread is so soft and they wear faster. I also wanna keep those drink coaster 16s on the car for as little time as possible lol
Old 12-12-15 | 02:14 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

okay heres another one. im thinking it was the closest ive ever been to death in a car in my life...

I cant help to think that night in 2002, in my 90 LS400, me being a stupid show off driver played a roll in that, like it was supposed to be our time, but escaped it, and then it caught up with them 3 years later. I still worry about myself and if it will ever come for me.
Wow, sorry for your loss. I'm sure you will be ok, just as long as you learned from those times (which you have) and always remember how dangerous driving can be.
Old 12-12-15 | 02:16 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by Stroock639
yeah i got those blizzak ws80s, very happy with them. so far I've only had one winter with them but I'm about to start the 2nd. I try to use them not too often cuz the tread is so soft and they wear faster. I also wanna keep those drink coaster 16s on the car for as little time as possible lol
Good to know! I wasn't aware of how snow tires wear.

Yeah, I can't blame you. Your 430 rims look very nice on your car.
Old 12-13-15 | 12:39 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Good to know! I wasn't aware of how snow tires wear.

Yeah, I can't blame you. Your 430 rims look very nice on your car.
oh stop it... you're gonna make me blush here