LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ok so what's the worst running Ls400 you've ever seen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-15, 06:15 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

nothing to me is sadder than one that is covered in dents and filthy dirty with perfect paint and seats that are not ripped.... it means that up till recently it was still being cared for and then some asshat got ahold of it
Old 12-12-15, 10:06 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah like the one I looked at about 6 months ago. It was for sale and a true grandpa owned car given to the new family now selling it. I was impressed how dent free and nice the paint was, it for sure was a garage kept car.
It was full of junk, car seats for the little diaper and juice tossers, so the carpet was a mess and also had some nice coffee or drink messes here and there, and then there was the huge rear door dent, the miles weren't bad and had lots of service records and not too far into T belt change. I told them that they should have sold it the day they got it before all the messing up was done. If it wouldn't have had the little paint scratch on the roof and the messed up carpet etc. and the ruined rear door, it would have been easy a 5000 car especially if they would have parked it the day they got it. Yeah too bad stupid people ruin these cars.
Old 12-13-15, 12:03 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I had to laugh on reading all these posts. My neighbor who was leaving the neighborhood, sold me his 1996 ls400 for $300. I had to go home to get a jack and air pump his spare. I managed to get enough air in it to drive it the 40 foot home to my house. It had a driver-side door that wouldn't open with no glass in it. He had a jacket wrapped around it for protection. There wasn't a square inch of front glass that didn't have crack. The rear bumper had a hole you could put a fist through. The power steering didn't work and there was an empty coolant jug in the trunk. I mucked it out and had two 50 gallon plastic bags worth of junk. I used a whole roll of duct tape just so I could sit in it without falling through the seat. I won't go through how many dents I pulled out. Oh yeah, I fixed 4 separate coolant leaks, two power steering leaks, and an untold amount of hoses that I replaced. I have since gone through it and detailed it to the best of my ability. I would guess I have pulled out in the order of 1000 cigarette buts that he managed to shove into every crack and corner of this car. I also pulled out over $15 in loose change that seemed to be everywhere. Here is a picture of the original drivers seat:
Attached Thumbnails Ok so what's the worst running Ls400 you've ever seen?-dsc04210.jpg  

Last edited by jaaa; 12-13-15 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-13-15, 01:41 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

It is amazing how someone can so trash a car. I keep wondering how the steering wheels are always torn to shreds and the shift handle leather? For that matter the seats too, do people wear sand paper on their clothes?
I have a 90 with about 300k miles and the seats are all nice except the driver seat has a small wear area, in the spot where they all seem to get rubbed a lot. And then there are the California and other sunbelt southern cars with the fading and pealing paint. Really no excuse for that either. They just never wax them. Gosh use a protectant if you don't want to wax all the time it lasts a year or so.
jaaa, wow sounds like 300 was too much for that one, and would have been a wrecking yard car if not for you.
Old 12-13-15, 05:28 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dicer
It is amazing how someone can so trash a car. I keep wondering how the steering wheels are always torn to shreds and the shift handle leather? For that matter the seats too, do people wear sand paper on their clothes?
I have a 90 with about 300k miles and the seats are all nice except the driver seat has a small wear area, in the spot where they all seem to get rubbed a lot. And then there are the California and other sunbelt southern cars with the fading and pealing paint. Really no excuse for that either. They just never wax them. Gosh use a protectant if you don't want to wax all the time it lasts a year or so.
jaaa, wow sounds like 300 was too much for that one, and would have been a wrecking yard car if not for you.
Yeah, the $300 was what he said he could get from the junk yard. I've had it since July and am one radiator from a finished product. There are areas of the rug I just can't get back to where I want it, but the interior is from a 96k car and looks good. Car now runs like a dream with all new fluids. Only thing I know is still bad is the front rotors(uneven wear), but the pads look new and I'll wait till they wear down to replace the rotors. Still brakes fine even with the uneven rotors. And BTW- I want to thank all the fine people on this board that have helped me through fixing up a car I'd never worked on before. The learning curve is steep if you don't have some help on new cars.

Last edited by jaaa; 12-13-15 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-15-15, 10:53 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jaaa
I had to laugh on reading all these posts. My neighbor who was leaving the neighborhood, sold me his 1996 ls400 for $300. I had to go home to get a jack and air pump his spare. I managed to get enough air in it to drive it the 40 foot home to my house. It had a driver-side door that wouldn't open with no glass in it. He had a jacket wrapped around it for protection. There wasn't a square inch of front glass that didn't have crack. The rear bumper had a hole you could put a fist through. The power steering didn't work and there was an empty coolant jug in the trunk. I mucked it out and had two 50 gallon plastic bags worth of junk. I used a whole roll of duct tape just so I could sit in it without falling through the seat. I won't go through how many dents I pulled out. Oh yeah, I fixed 4 separate coolant leaks, two power steering leaks, and an untold amount of hoses that I replaced. I have since gone through it and detailed it to the best of my ability. I would guess I have pulled out in the order of 1000 cigarette buts that he managed to shove into every crack and corner of this car. I also pulled out over $15 in loose change that seemed to be everywhere. Here is a picture of the original drivers seat:
man id like to see some before pictures of this heap when you got it and how it looks today. sounds like you literally brought this one back from the dead!
Old 12-15-15, 01:21 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stereorob
man id like to see some before pictures of this heap when you got it and how it looks today. sounds like you literally brought this one back from the dead!
Sorry, I had so many issues at the beginning I was just too busy to snap any. I've repainted the door three times but I can't seem to get the paint to match. The rear bumper came out good though. I bondo'd the hole and then painted it. Came out real good. It has become a good daily driver, but the paint job wouldn't stand up to any of the cars I see you guys posting. Rear corner panel on the passenger side still has dent damage and I will probably Bondo it next summer when it gets warmer out here in Colorado. I did a lot of rust mitigation on the leading hood. Sanded it down and did a light spray with the paint I used on the door. I don't think it's worth repainting the whole car(it had some hail damage at some point in it's life), but it drives so good and I've brought it back to life enough the neighbors appreciate it as it is. BTW- anyone needing a starter installed or an EGR pipe installed on an LS400 out here in Colorado-I'm your man.

Last edited by jaaa; 12-15-15 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-15-15, 03:23 PM
pmarr
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

https://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/5354318751.html
The hell is up with that back seat?
Old 12-15-15, 03:47 PM
beer
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pmarr
not surprised you found that on Stockton's CL...
Old 12-16-15, 09:04 AM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy crap, I think you won the grand price, lol as I'm reading your post.
Old 12-16-15, 09:09 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Appears this car came with the tread delete option for the driver's front tire also. One of the worst examples I've seen......
Old 12-16-15, 02:35 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

oh that's clean compared to some of the sad examples ive seen still running. the drivetrains are rock solid and can take years, even decades of abuse and still run. ive seen way worse lol
Old 12-19-15, 10:27 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 295 Likes on 232 Posts

Holy cow!... It looks like he got really hungry and decided to take a bite out of that car. Ouch!

It has become a good daily driver, but the paint job wouldn't stand up to any of the cars I see you guys posting. Rear corner panel on the passenger side still has dent damage and I will probably Bondo it next summer when it gets warmer out here in Colorado.
Wow. From your past few posts, it sounds like you've done so much to your car already! I would also really love to see pictures.

Perhaps consider making a thread to document your work. I'm sure a lot of members would find it both interesting and helpful.
Old 12-20-15, 05:59 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Holy cow!... It looks like he got really hungry and decided to take a bite out of that car. Ouch!

Wow. From your past few posts, it sounds like you've done so much to your car already! I would also really love to see pictures.

Perhaps consider making a thread to document your work. I'm sure a lot of members would find it both interesting and helpful.
I just didn't take any before pictures, so all you would see was after. I have a running thread that talks about what I have gone through with the car though. I can tell you I am up to about $2000 now in just my cost(certainly not my labor!):
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...w-owner-5.html
Old 12-21-15, 01:06 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 295 Likes on 232 Posts

Thanks for the link, jaaa! $2000 total cost isn't to bad, for the amount of work you've done. Nice!

Quick Reply: Ok so what's the worst running Ls400 you've ever seen?