LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Who would've thunk it... (shows how carefuly we need to be with diagnosing probs)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-14, 01:26 PM
peterls
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Who would've thunk it... (shows how carefuly we need to be with diagnosing probs)

You won't believe this one:

Over the past few months I noticed that every time I am on a ramp to or coming off a highway, and there are a few where I live, the car would seem to lock steering in a certain position. Like, everything would be fine, and then as I am slightly trying to correct my steering in that long curve, I sense big time resistance, and give up on correcting. Since I know that my right side upper control arm is not that great, I was certain it was that and/or something else that has to do with suspension. Needless to say, it was a bit frustrating especially since the suspension actually does not seem to be in such a bad shape. I even looked at most bushings and they are good too - it seems that the previous owner changed most of the stuff there already.

So yesterday, I am on an exit ramp, holding the steering steady in the long curve, and all at once again, it does not let me correct. I get a little angry and push it harder and break at the same time and guess what - the car stalls! Right on the exit ramp! Luckily I had enough momentum just to make it to the street, and then restarted the car there, no problem, but I was surprised to say the least.

And then it hit me : What I thought was a suspension problem all this time, with car steering being a little strange every time when I was coming off a highway, was actually the car almost dying on me! Had absolutely NOTHING to do with suspension.

So I immediately got to work on it, and cleaned the IACV valve, and it was all perfect after that. Went all over all those same ramps, going fast, then breaking, slow, turning, listening, feeling, and it was absolutely perfect every time.

How is that for being thrown a curveball right? It would be so easy to start changing suspension parts and throw money in all the wrong places.

Here is the whole story - if it did not completely stall twice on me, I would never guess what the problem was:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...to-a-stop.html
Old 04-13-14, 02:20 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Well I would not think the suspension would have anything to do with you not being able to correct your steering in curves. I would automatically think steering system and not having enough fluid and I would also check to see if my car had shutoff which yours was trying to do. I'm glad you figured it out and hopefully it lasts and is not something else in your starting/charging system.
Old 04-13-14, 02:28 PM
sayow
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep my initial thought was power steering pump or the like. Suspension would have been just above radio as the culprit for me

In any event, glad you figured it out!
Old 04-13-14, 03:23 PM
peterls
Instructor

like your comments
But in my defense, the suspension does make some noise here and there, UCA is going bad on the right side, and I need to do alignment which right now makes things a little wobbly... so all things considered it really felt more like suspension than anything else (and no way of telling that my rpms were dropping as my cluster is all dead by now, except for half-working fuel gauge). And I had a rattle on the right side, usually at exact same time, which turned out to be my wife's half open window... just a perfect combination of screwed up symptoms.

But yeah, my next thing to check would be my car stereo
Old 04-13-14, 03:36 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Ok, do you plan on fixing the cluster? I don't think I could drive around with a dead one. I'm always checking the temp gauge, miles to empty..... It bothers me that the little bulb in my shifter is out and only half of the speedo lights up.
Old 04-13-14, 11:31 PM
peterls
Instructor

Oh I am definitely doing the cluster. Actually the only thing that does work on it perfectly well is the temperature gauge and gas one is sort of working (shows 3/4 full when completely full). All lights work too, but speedo, rpms etc are all totally off. I have no clue what my rpms are, and what speed I am doing, but I figure as long as drive the same speed as everyone else, I am ok

My AC display is also broken, so that's another to do thing. I think I will do that one first because it is easier. I've been putting off the cluster repair only because I will have to take it off twice: first to find out exactly all the specs on capacitors, then have to order them, wait for them, and then take out the cluster again to replace them... hate the idea off having to pul it apart twice