LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

tuning software

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-14, 06:10 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well im going to run E85 and twins so I need to be able to tune it lol just going to start with piggyback and wideband, then im going to up the fuel system and switch it over to E85, and then slap twins on it.

The 1UZFE has two distributors, both part of the cam gear if im reading the diagrams correct. but COP would be a ****** because the intake setup, the passenger side bank would have no room and then getting to them would be difficult.
Old 04-25-14, 06:24 AM
rick1987
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cgawelko
Well im going to run E85 and twins so I need to be able to tune it lol just going to start with piggyback and wideband, then im going to up the fuel system and switch it over to E85, and then slap twins on it.

The 1UZFE has two distributors, both part of the cam gear if im reading the diagrams correct. but COP would be a ****** because the intake setup, the passenger side bank would have no room and then getting to them would be difficult.
E85 is going to be fun. You will probably need to get a bigger pump and stainless lines and bigger fuel injectors.
Old 04-25-14, 06:28 AM
rick1987
Pole Position

And my setup isn't true COP. I have the coils mounted on the firewall and made my own plug wires. Summit sells the boots for the GM LS coils.
Old 04-25-14, 06:51 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Ah i see. yeah the sloppy guys all do LS truck COP setups. Could have bought 8 ls2 COPs for $25 three days ago if I was going that route lol

E85 is going to be a blast! the E85 station is here near my house, and I only work 30 miles away so DD-ing wont be an issue. Just looking for a simple 15psi twin setup for that kick when I want it. Ill probably crap the transmission out from underneath it, but thats what other cars are for lol! Eventually I will have all that. probably in a year or two. going to start with the computer. Probably wont get that for another year because my next car has a very expensive boat ride to make around June next year so lexus has the backseat when that comes and ill need some $$ to get it to my standards
Old 04-25-14, 07:59 AM
rick1987
Pole Position

I'm sure someone else will chime in but when I looked at E85, there was only a couple of stations near me. And I would have had to run all stainless lines, I guess the ethanol will eat the factory lines. And you have to run larger injectors to deal with the thicker fuel.
I also think you maybe have to run higher pressure as well.
You can get great performance from it but, I don't have enough stations around me to justify the cost of upgrades.
stainless tubing and 8 fuel injectors cost a fair amount of money.

I'm not sure what material Toyota uses for lines. Don't forget the fuel rail as well.
Old 04-25-14, 03:05 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

well the rail will be fine, these things can move some gas stock, but the stock injectors are only ~250cfm, I can get 8 of 550cfm injectors for about $250. And the pump I can get an E85 pump from Jegs for $100, and from what ive been told only the rubber line parts need to be replaced for E85, but if I have to run all new fuel line then I can probably make my own for a little bit less. My friend went to ethanol and methanol and he didnt swap the hard lines and his car is a MONSTER! He has been running E85 for a few years now, his work is next to a station, and then he lives by another.

But his car is also has two tunes saved on his computer so if he puts in 91, he just plugs his laptop in and uploads the other tune
Old 04-25-14, 06:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you run larger injectors on e85 not because it's "thicker" but because you have to run more fuel per part air with e85 than you do gasoline.

lol at "simple" twin turbo setup. Have fun with that.

You're oversimplifying a lot of things, and i urge you to research more before you start spending money.
Old 04-25-14, 08:58 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awwwww, PD. This was going to be really entertaining...

As soon as I saw "bank fueling," "speed density" and "$100 wideband off eBay" I kicked up my feet, grabbed some popcorn and am waiting for the hilarity to ensue...

Last edited by Shmee; 04-25-14 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-25-14, 11:17 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shmee
Awwwww, PD. This was going to be really entertaining...

As soon as I saw "bank fueling," "speed density" and "$100 wideband off eBay" I kicked up my feet, grabbed some popcorn and am waiting for the hilarity to ensue...
I can name at least 10 people I know who run ebay widebands, ebay headstuds, ebay turbos and simple MS systems and run 8s and 9s. Its not about how much you spend, its how you spend it.
Old 04-25-14, 11:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

I can name at least 10 people I know who run ebay widebands, ebay headstuds, ebay turbos and simple MS systems and run 8s and 9s. Its not about how much you spend, its how you spend it.

Sure they do.
A few times.

Cheap, Reliable. Fast.
Pick two.

Age old game, the rules haven't changed.

I wish you the best of luck.
Old 04-26-14, 12:28 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome!
If your only measure of performance is 1/4mile times then great, it's not difficult to tune a car for one specific application and WOT tuning is fairly simple.

I don't know about you but tuning a car is an art or a skill similar to being a surgeon. I don't care how fast my surgeon can cut off a leg, I care if he/she has the precision and dexterity to operate on a brain without lobotomizing the patient!

It's the same thing with tuning a car, the skill is not in extracting the most power at WOT (anyone can get 90-95% of the max power out of a car at WOT without a tone of work) but extracting the most power everywhere (for all loads and throttle and temps, etc) while being able to maintain driveability, fuel economy and reliability.

Are you building a drag car or do you plan on running it on the street?
If you are building a drag car: batch fire/fuel and MAP tuning will work fine, even in unskilled hands.
If you aren't building a drag car MAF and sequential fuel/ignition is infinitely superior in precision, reliability, driveability and flexibility.

As far as the eBay stuff goes, you get what you pay for. There's a guy up here who goes through an eBay turbo per night at the strip because they are cheap.

I have had a lot of customers who bought eBay widebands and none of them are very accurate, there worst reading a full 1.0 leaner than actual right out of the box! Most also have longevity issues of the sensor itself, lasting only 5-15k miles where as INNOVATE and other quality brands will last 15-30+k miles. I've got 45,000km on my Innovate wideband in my 930 and it's only off by .2!

I don't have any experience with eBay head studs, but they cannot be much different than the jobber stuff I have been forced to use in customer and personal cars over the years. It's a nut&stud/bolt. Failures tend to be installer error rather than part defect in my exp...

You get what you pay for.
Old 04-26-14, 04:44 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Both of you are wrong. Matt Happel has been running his fairmont for about 5 years. He daily drives his car, YouTube Leroy Brown Fairmont.

http://www.lsxtv.com/features/car-fe...ford-fairmont/

http://www.dragzine.com/features/car...rmont-sleeper/

And then he has kits named after him because of his influence on LSx cars everywhere:

http://www.vsracing.net/catalog/prod...oducts_id=1320

Thats just one of the 10. You can google The Law P71, LSX ******, any of them. ALL use junkyard and ebay parts.

I should also mention he is kicked out of MANY drag strips for breaking 10 seconds without a cage and tunes peoples cars for a living.

aannnd im gonna add this: http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/ar...p/t-36121.html

Last edited by cgawelko; 04-26-14 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-26-14, 06:07 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

And???

What's your point?
Old 04-26-14, 06:25 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shmee
And???

What's your point?
he runs MS1 which is bank fueled, ebay widebands, ebay turbos, his engine had 260k on it when he bought it from the junkyard, and all he did was put chinese headstuds in it, and its lasted 5 years of daily driving, and running on weekends. If he can make it on cheap throwaway turbos for 5 years, and can run 9s, I can easily tune my car bank fueled on an MS3 on ebay widebands and ethanol with twins. Half the time he uses Microsquirt on cars. His tactics are well proven, and with $5,000 into his car, its faster than 90% of cars with three times as much money into them.
Old 04-26-14, 06:59 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, and?
You are not him.

Have you driven his cars?
Do you have a fraction the experience he does?

None of what you just posted or linked to negates anything I have said.
The law of averages suggests that it is not impossible to get a decent part from eBay, in fact there are tons of reputable sources for parts on eBay. But when you say "eBay turbo" most people assume you mean the $100 t04 turbos from china, not a $500 GT35 reberb from an authoized Garrett dealer. Who knows, he could be Frankensteining his eBay turbos and not posting about it.

I have never said there is anything wrong with doing budget builds... But if you have zero experience with building 8sec cars "the right way" to begin with, you probably are going to struggle to do it on a junkyard budget without any tuning experience.

The LSx is a completely different beast then a 1UZ...

Nobody is saying you cannot do it, but you might want to do a lot more research before throwing a couple grand at something. No offense, but some of your previous posts/threads do not suggest someone with a decades worth of experience of building cars.

You also have no answered the questions posed to you.

Quick Reply: tuning software