LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Coming out of an Audi, looking at Lexus alternative... :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-14, 04:04 PM
98b5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@timmy0tool yeah I dunno I've just always liked the LS400, and nah the whole VIP thing isn't really for me.

My dad agrees with sha400, Legender, and hypervish, but i kinda want to meet in the middle. What do you guys think of ES300 instead? I'd much rather have the 50/50 weight dist. and RWD V8 layout of the LS, but the ES looks nice and shouldn't handle too bad... right? lol

Last edited by 98b5; 05-01-14 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-01-14, 04:26 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

College student eh? The ls400 is reliable, but its going to be expensive on Fuel and parts.
ES300 is very nice, but again a bit pricey on fuel and parts.

I know its a blasphemy, but why not a nice Civic or Accord or Prelude or Celica or something like that? Fun to drive, way cheaper on parts, reliable without as many things to go wrong, and cheap cheap cheap on gas!

Save the more expensive cars for when you're done school, advice I never took when I was in school but seems obvious now!
Old 05-01-14, 06:48 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

es300 is fine but they are FWD and are all v6, so the car will not feel the same as the LS.

the OP never mentioned anything about gas being an issue but of course with a lack of money comes being frugal with gas too!
Old 05-01-14, 06:54 PM
98b5
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I mean of course getting better gas mileage would be nice, but I put premium in my Audi and got like 15.5-16.5 mpg average and it didnt bother me that much...

Well I'll see. I'll post to this thread and let you guys know what happens. And in case you were wondering, this is what Audi I've got right now.

If you guys know anyone whos in SoCal who wants an Audi with a 5 speed I'm your guy, lol.
Old 05-02-14, 11:08 AM
timmy0tool

oooh avant! i like wagons. LS400s get better gas mileage than that, roughly 18-24mpg depending on driving habits but of course on premium as well. good luck with the search!
Old 05-02-14, 11:25 AM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont really think parts for the LS are very expensive at all. ONly issue was the upper control arm in the rear for 98-00 because i could not find the balljoint necessary to press a new one inm the bushigns are same size i believe as the knuckle carrier. those arms were 180 a piece. Everythign else-cheap.
caman, genueine Aisin parts, timing belt, idlers, Wp for 200 shipped off ebay,
inner and outer tierod ends by Deeza 62 for all4 pieces off ebay,
spherical encapsulated knuckle carrier joints 60 bucks a pair,
pricey-upper front control arms, 160 a piece.
really nto bad at all IMO.
24-25mpg on the freeway, 18 in town. pretty respectable.
Old 05-02-14, 11:37 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know why you guys are all saying parts are so expensive. Sure, if you only buy OEM parts from the dealer they are expensive but they are still cheaper than OEM parts for an Audi. Aftermarket parts for the LS in the 90-00 year range are comparable to civics/corrollas/focus's.

Fuel economy for an V8 LS is comparable to the 1.8t or 2.8 v6 A4s...

Even for a "college student" these cars are NOT expensive to own. If you do your homework and find a good one, it will still cost the OP ¼-½ what his Audi cost him per year.

Like I said before, if you can do your own work, and worked on your Audi, working on a LS should be a cake walk.
If you pay someone to do your work, it will still be cheaper than your Audi and not that much more than any other car... Assuming you don't go to the dealer nor buy OEM only parts.
Old 05-02-14, 01:27 PM
98b5
Driver School Candidate

@timmy0tool yeah man i think the avant looks WAY better than the sedan for my chassis, the b5.

@Greg and Shmee I did most of the work on my audi, except for the really difficult stuff. I did the rear brake discs and pads, I did the spark plugs, I changed the A/C condenser fan... But i paid people to do the clutch, and the motor & transmission mounts.

I really hope I find an LS that fits the bill, I really like it in comparison to the other cars I'm looking at in my price range, lol XD
Old 05-02-14, 02:04 PM
timmy0tool

just get an LS! it's japanese, parts are easy to get, and as shmee stated tons easier to work on. what annoyed me the most about audi/vw is the amount of torx screws they used...
Old 05-02-14, 02:55 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly, if you can do basic stuff like brakes and a tune up on an Audi, there isn't much you can't do on an LS.
Take you time and take notes/pics along the way and these cars are as straight forward as it gets to work on.

Timmy,
Forget the torx hardware, it's the triple-squares that really suck!

At the shop, we always joked about how Japanese cars are engineered to last, German. Cars are engineered to self-destruct out or warranty, and American cars aren't engineered at all!
Old 05-02-14, 03:24 PM
Pineroot
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
I don't know why you guys are all saying parts are so expensive. Sure, if you only buy OEM parts from the dealer they are expensive but they are still cheaper than OEM parts for an Audi. Aftermarket parts for the LS in the 90-00 year range are comparable to civics/corrollas/focus's.

Fuel economy for an V8 LS is comparable to the 1.8t or 2.8 v6 A4s...

Even for a "college student" these cars are NOT expensive to own. If you do your homework and find a good one, it will still cost the OP ¼-½ what his Audi cost him per year.

Like I said before, if you can do your own work, and worked on your Audi, working on a LS should be a cake walk.
If you pay someone to do your work, it will still be cheaper than your Audi and not that much more than any other car... Assuming you don't go to the dealer nor buy OEM only parts.
I agree. I think the a good LS would be a great car for a college student. They are dependable. Sounds like the OP knows enough about repairs to handle most of it. Besides, the smart chicks will dig it.
Old 05-02-14, 04:14 PM
98b5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pineroot
Besides, the smart chicks will dig it.
hahaha

Yeah I'm pretty set on a LS I think. The only problem is finding one... they're kinda overpriced over here... http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sea...Type=T&excats=
Old 05-02-14, 05:11 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

I don't particularly think any of those are overpriced but plz stay away from the blue one with the seat covers and the one without the engine. I can see lots of problem with those.
Old 05-02-14, 05:34 PM
Yamae

Received 894 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
At the shop, we always joked about how Japanese cars are engineered to last, German. Cars are engineered to self-destruct out or warranty, and American cars aren't engineered at all!
Don't say that in front of politicians. We will be bashed more and required to reduce the export.
Old 05-03-14, 01:37 PM
sayow
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

That 96 LS you listed in the OP is not overpriced IMO. I just sold a 96 with 255k miles that was above average but not that nice for more than the one you listed. Shoot, if I lived in Cali, I think I would snap that one up save for the color (not a gold fan). It is definitely clean and well priced compared to midwest prices.

Quick Reply: Coming out of an Audi, looking at Lexus alternative... :)